Patents, Innovation, and Privatization
- Ramona C. Albin
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The framers of the U.S. Constitution believed that intellectual property rights were crucial to scientific advancement. Yet, the framers also recognized the need to balance innovation, privatization, and public use. The courts’ expansion of patent protection for biotechnology innovations in the last 30 years raises the question whether the patent system effectively balances these concerns. While the question is not new, only through a thorough and thoughtful examination of these issues can the current system be evaluated. It is then a policy decision for Congress if any change is necessary.
- Amgen Inc., v. Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. , 929 F.2d 1200 (Fed. Cir. 1991).
- Association for Molecular Pathology, et. al., v. United States Patent and Trademark Office, 669 F. Supp. 2d 365 (2010).
- Bilski v. Kappos 130 S. Ct. 3218 (2010).
- Bonito Boats, Inc. v. Thunder Craft Boats, Inc., 489 U.S. 141 (1974).
- Brenner v. Mason, 383 U.S. 519 (1966).
- Diamond v. Chakrabarty, 447 U.S. 303 (1980).
- Funk Brothers Seed Co. v. Kalo Inoculant Co., 333 U.S. 127 (1948).
- Geller, L. (2010). Data management in academic settings: An intellectual property perspective. Science and Engineering Ethics. doi:10.1007/s11948-010-9240-4.
- Heller, M., & Eisenberg, R. (1998). Can patents deter innovation. Science, 280, 698–701. CrossRef
- Ramirez, H. (2004). Defending the privatization of research tools: An examination of the “Tragedy of the Anticommons” in biotechnology research and development. Emory Law Journal, 53, 359–389.
- Scripps Clinic & Research Foundation v. Genentech, Inc., 927 F.2d 1565 (Fed. Cir. 1991).
- Torrance, A., & Tomlinson, B. (2009). Patents and the regress of useful arts. Columbia Science and Technology Law Review, 10, 130–167.
- Patents, Innovation, and Privatization
Science and Engineering Ethics
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 777-781
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Product of nature
- Ramona C. Albin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 4002 10th Ave S, Birmingham, AL, 35222, USA