Funding, objectivity and the socialization of medical research
- James Robert Brown
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There has been a sharp rise in private funding of medical research, especially in relation to patentable products. Several serious problems with this are described. A solution involving the elimination of patents and public funding administered through extended national health care systems is proposed.
- Davidson, R. (1986) “Sources of Funding and Outcome of Clinical Trials”, Journal of General Internal Medicine 12 (3): 155–58.
- Friedberg, et al (1999) Evaluation of conflict of Interest in New Drugs Used in Oncology, JAMA 282: 1453–7. CrossRef
- Stelfox, H.T. (1998) Conflict of Interest in the Debate over Calcium-Channel Antagonists, New England Journal of Medicine 338 (2) (8 Jan.): 101–06. CrossRef
- Berdahl, R.M. (2000) The Privatization of the Public Universities, http://cio.chance.berkeley.edu/chancellor/sp/privatization.htm [accessed 26.6.2001]#
- Thompson, J., P. Baird, J. Downie (2001) The Olivieri Report, Lorimer, Toronto, Canada.
- Desbarats, P. (1998) Who’s on the Barricades? The Globe and Mail, Toronto, Canada, June 3.
- Press, E. and Washburn, J. (2000) The Kept University, The Atlantic (March), available on line at: http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2000/03/press.htm
- Proctor, R. (1999) The Nazi War on Cancer, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- Healy, D. (2001) The Creation of Psychopharmacology, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- O’Meara, K. (2001) Misleading Medicine, http://insightmag.com/archive/200104301.shtml[accessed 1.6.2001]
- Hacking, I. (1995) Rewriting the soul, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- Hacking, I. (1998) Mad Travelers, University of Virginia Press, USA.
- Brown, James Robert (2001) Who Rules In Science: An Opinionated Guide to the Wars, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Gassen, S. (2001) Who Controls Research? Arizona Star, May 13.
- Funding, objectivity and the socialization of medical research
Science and Engineering Ethics
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 295-308
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- health care
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Toronto, M5S 1A1, Toronto, Canada