Cystic fibrosis and pancreatic disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cystic fibrosis encompasses a broad spectrum of disease activity. This is no longer considered only a childhood disease. In fact, many patients with the classic form of CF live well into adulthood, and many atypical forms of CF are now being studied. Based on gene mutations, patients may present in adulthood with single organ involvement such as chronic pancreatitis. Diagnosis and treatment of CF-related conditions are evolving areas of research and discovery. As new therapies emerge for cystic fibrosis, new therapies will also be available for related pancreatic disorders.
- Collins FS: Cystic fibrosis: molecular biology and therapeutic implications. Science 1992, 256:774–779. CrossRef
- Riordan JR, Rommens JM, Kerem B, et al.: Identification of the cystic fibrosis gene: cloning and characterization of complementary DNA. Science 1989, 245:1066–1073. CrossRef
- Website: www.genet.sickkids.on.ca/cftr/: Cystic fibrosis mutation data base. Cystic Fibrosis Genentic Analysis Consortium 1998.
- Wilschanski M, Zielenski J, Markiewicz D, et al.: Correlation of sweat chloride concentration with classes of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator gene mutations. J Pediatr 1995, 127:705–710. This paper describes the classification system for CFTR mutations. CrossRef
- Kristidis P, Bozon D, Corey M, et al.: Genetic determin-ation of exocrine pancreatic function in cystic fibrosis. Am J Hum Genet 1992, 50:178–184.
- PR: Exocrine pancreatic disease in CF-clinical insights. Ped Pulm 1997, 14:110–111.
- Anguiano A, Oates RD, Amos JA, et al.: Congenital bilat-eral absence of the vas deferens-a primarily genital form of cystic fibrosis. JAMA 1992, 267:1794–1797. CrossRef
- Jarvi K, Zielenski J, Wilschanski M, et al.: Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator and obstructive azoospermia. Lancet 1995, 345:1578. CrossRef
- Cohn JA, Friedman KJ, Noone PG, et al.: Relation between mutations of the cystic fibrosis gene and idio-pathic pancreatitis. N Engl J Med 1998, 339:653–658. CrossRef
- Sharer N, Schwarz M, Malone G, et al.: Mutations of the cystic fibrosis gene in patients with chronic pancreatitis. N Engl J Med 1998, 339:645–652. These were the first two published papers describing the association of CFTR gene mutations in chronic pancreatitis. Limited genetic screening found 37% and 13% of patients had mutations, respectively. CrossRef
- Bishop MD, Freedman SD, Zielenski J, et al.: Does complete DNA analysis identify a higher percentage of cystic fibrosis gene mutations in patients with idiopathic recurrent acute and chronic pancreatitis? Gastroenterology 1999, 116:G4825. Patients with chronic or recurrent acute pancreatitis under-went more complete genetic analysis looking for >800 CFTR mutations and found a higher rate of mutations (62%).
- Kopelman H, Durie P, Gaskin K, et al.: Pancreatic fluid secretion and protein hyperconcentration in cystic fibrosis. N Engl J Med 1985, 312:329–334. CrossRef
- Karanjia ND, Singh SM, Widdison AL, et al.: Pancreatic ductal and intestinal pressures in cats with chronic pancreatitis. Dig Dis Sci 1992, 37:268–273. CrossRef
- Go VLW, Hoffman AF, Summerskill WHJ: Pancreozymin bioassay in man based on pancreatic enzyme secre-tion: potency of specific amino acids and other diges-tive products. J Clin Invest 1970, 49:1558–1564. This is a classic paper.
- Liddle RA, Goldfine ID, William JA: Bioassay of plasma cholecystokinin in rats: effects of food, trypsin inhibi-tor and alcohol. Gastroenterology 1984, 87:542–549.
- Malagelada J-R, Go VLW, Summerskill WHJ: Different gastric, pancreatic and biliary responses to solid-liquid or homogenized meals. Dig Dis Sci 1979, 24:101–110. This is a classic paper. CrossRef
- Uden S, Acheson DW, Reeves J, et al.: Antioxidants, enzyme induction and chronic pancreatitis: a reappraisal following studies in patients on anticonvulsants. Eur J Clin Nutr 1988, 42:561–569.
- Rose P, Fraine E, Hunt LP, et al.: Dietary antioxidants and chronic pancreatitis. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 1986, 40:151–164.
- Braganza JM, Thomas A, Robinson A: Antioxidants to treat chronic pancreatitis in childhood? Case report and possible implications for pathogenesis. Int J Pancreatol 1988, 3:209–216.
- Freedman SD: Peptamen: a novel therapy in patients with chronic pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 1997, 12:A267.
- Ramsay BW, Farrell PM, Pencharz P, and the Concensus: Nutritional assessment and management in cystic fibro-sis: a consensus report. Am J Clin Nutr 1992, 55:109–116.
- Pencharz PB, Durie PR: Nutritional Management of Cystic Fibrosis. Annu Rev Nutr 1993, 13:111–136. Dietary guidelines for patients with classic cystic fibrosis. CrossRef
- Dowsett J: Nutrition in the Management of Cystic Fibrosis. Nutrition Reviews 1996, 54:31–33. CrossRef
- Zeitlin PL: Novel pharmacologic therapies for cystic fibrosis. J Clin Invest 1999, 103:447–452. The spectrum of defects in CFTR is described by class of mutation, followed by a review of potential therapies and preliminary data. CrossRef
- Cystic fibrosis and pancreatic disease
Current Treatment Options in Gastroenterology
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 289-293
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links