Appropriate and Inappropriate Use of Dronedarone in 2013
- Gerald V. Naccarelli MD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Dronedarone is a multichannel blocking antiarrhythmic agent that has been shown to prevent atrial fibrillation/flutter (AF/AFl) recurrences in several multi-center trials. In the ANDROMEDA trial, dronedarone treatment increased mortality and cardiovascular hospitalizations patients with decompensated heart failure. In the ATHENA trial, dronedarone was used in elderly high risk patients with paroxysmal or persistent AF/AFl, excluding those with advanced heart failure, cardiovascular hospitalizations were significantly reduced. Dronedarone increased mortality and cardiovascular hospitalizations in a different patient group with permanent AF/AFl. Although organic toxicity from the drug is very rare, post-marketing data has reported rare hepatic toxicity associated with dronedarone use. Current guidelines position dronedarone as a front-line antiarrhythmic in many patients with AF/Fl. However, dronedarone should not be used in patients with advanced heart failure or in permanent AF. Clinical trial results have helped us define appropriate and inappropriate candidates for dronedarone.
- Naccarelli GV, Wolbrette DL, Levin V, Samii S, Banchs JE, Penny-Peterson E, et al. Safety and efficacy of dronedarone in the treatment of atrial fibrillation/flutter. Clin Med Insights. 2011;5:103–19. Thorough review of the safety, pharmacology, and efficacy of dronedarone. CrossRef
- Touboul P, Brugada J, Capucci A, Crÿns HJ, Edvardsson N, Hohnloser SH. Dronedarone for prevention of atrial fibrillation: a dose-ranging study. Eur Heart J. 2003;24:1481–7.
- Singh BN, Connolly SJ, Crijns HJ, et al. Dronedarone for maintenance of sinus rhythm in atrial fibrillation or flutter. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:987–99.
- Davy JM, Herold M, Hoglund C, et al. Dronedarone for the control of ventricular rate in permanent atrial fibrillation: the efficacy and safety of dronedarone for the control of ventricular rate during atrial fibrillation (ERATO) study. Am Heart J. 2008;156:527–9.
- Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, McMurray JJ, et al. Increased mortality after dronedarone therapy for severe heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:2678–87.
- Hohnloser SH, Crijns HJGM, van Eickels M, Gaudin C, Page RL, Torp-Pedersen C, et al. Effect of dronedarone on cardiovascular events in atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:668–78.
- Connolly SJ, Crijns HJGM, Torp-Pedersen C, van Eickels M, Gaudin C, Page RL, et al. Analysis of stroke in ATHENA: a placebo-controlled, double-blind, parallel-arm trial to assess the efficacy of dronedarone 400 mg BID for the prevention of cardiovascular hospitalization or death from any cause in patients with atrial fibrillation/atrial flutter. Circulation. 2009;120:1174–80.
- Le Heuzey JY, De Ferrari GM, Radzik D, Santini M, Zhu J, Davy JM. A short-term, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of dronedarone vs amiodarone in patients with persistent atrial fibrillation: the DIONYSOS study. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2010;21:597–605. Comparative study demonstrating that amiodrone was more effective but dronedarone had less adverse events. CrossRef
- Ezekowitz M, Di Marco J, Kaszala K, Ellenbogen K, Boddy A. HESTIA (the effects of dronedarone on atrial fibrillation burden in subjects with permanent pacemakers) Circulation. 2012;126:A15020(abstract). Pacemaker study demonstrating that dronedarone reduced AF burden.
- Burashnikov A, Belardinelli L, Antzelevitch C. Acute dronedarone is inferior to amiodarone in terminating and preventing atrial fibrillation in canine atria. Heart Rhythm. 2010;7(9):1273–9. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;56:1216–24. Basic study suggesting that dronedarone has less efficacy in suppressing AF than amiodarone.
- Burashnikov A, Sicour S, Di Diego JM, Belardinelli L, Antzelevitch C. Synergistic effect of the combination of ranolazine and dronedarone to suppress atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56:1216–24. Basic study suggesting that the combination of dronedarone and ranolazine have a synergistic effect in suppressing AF. CrossRef
- ClinicalTrials.gov - NCT01522651. Clinical trials description of HARMONY.
- Connolly SJ, Camm AJ, Halperin JL, for the PALLAS Investigators, et al. Dronedarone in high risk permanent atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:2268–76. PALLAS demonstrated a worsening of cardiovascular outcomes with dronedarone in permanent AF/AFl. CrossRef
- Joghetaei N, Weirich G, Huber W, Buchler P, Estner H. Acute liver failure with dronedarone. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2011;4:592–3. Review of case reports of severe hepatic toxicity possibly secondary to dronedarone. CrossRef
- Wann LS, Curtis AB, January CT, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused update on the management of patients with atrial fibrillation (updating the 2006 guideline): a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation. 2011;123:104–23. Focused USA guideline on the use of dronedarone. CrossRef
- Camm AJ, Lip GY, De Caterina R, Savilieva I, Atar D, Hohnloser SH, et al. 2012 focused update of the ESC guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. Eur Heart J. 2012;33(21):2719–47. Most recent European guideline reviewing dronedarone’s role after PALLAS. CrossRef
- Appropriate and Inappropriate Use of Dronedarone in 2013
Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 467-475
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Atrial fibrillation
- Appropriate vs inappropriate
- ATHENA trial
- ANDROMEDA trial
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Penn State Hershey Heart & Vascular Institute, Cardiac Electrophysiology Program, Penn State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Room H1511, Hershey, PA, 17033, USA