Pharmacologic Strategies for the Prevention of Stroke in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Stroke is a dreaded complication of atrial fibrillation. In the past, preventive therapy included aspirin and oral anticoagulation. Selected patients who are not suitable for oral anticoagulation may benefit from the addition of clopidogrel with aspirin. This combination, when compared with aspirin, offers a reduced risk of stroke at a cost of more major bleeding. We use this therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation who have unstable coronary syndromes or in patients who receive coronary artery stents who are not good candidates for “triple therapy” with aspirin, clopidogrel, and warfarin. The duration of therapy is tempered by many variables. In the case of coronary stents, we ask the interventionalist to consider a bare metal stent to shorten the duration of need for clopidogrel plus aspirin. After several months of combination therapy, we stop this therapy and begin warfarin therapy. Dabigatran is commercially available in the United States. In patients who have difficult to control International Normalized Ratio (INR) values or who do not wish to have regular coagulation monitoring, dabigatran offers a huge advantage. The benefit seems less if the INR is consistently within range. We are impressed with the superior reduction in stroke and systemic embolism with 150 mg of dabigatran twice daily compared to warfarin and also its low risk of intracranial hemorrhage. The results of clinical trials involving factor Xa agents are now being presented. How these agents fit into the marketplace remains to be seen but they will offer clinicians additional therapy for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation.
- Hart RG, Lesly AP, Aguilar MI. Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Ann Int Med. 2007;146(12):857–67.
- Laupacis A, Albers G, Dunn M, Feinberg W. Antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation. Chest. 1992;102(suppl):426S–33S. CrossRef
- Kumagai K, Fukunami M, Ohmori M, et al. Increased intracardiovascular clotting in patients with chronic atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1990;16:377–80. CrossRef
- Gustafsson C, Blomback M, Britton M, Hamsten A, Svensson J. Coagulation factors and the increased risk of stroke in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Stroke. 1990;21:47–51. CrossRef
- Lip GY, Lowe GD, Rumley A, Dunn FG. Increased markers of thrombogenesis in chronic atrial fibrillation: effects of warfarin treatment. Br Heart J. 1995;73:527–33. CrossRef
- Asakura H, Hifumi S, Jokaji H, et al. Prothrombin fragment F1+2 and thrombin-antithrombin III complex are useful markers of the hypercoagulable state in atrial fibrillation. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 1992;3:469–73.
- Kamath S, Blann AD, Chin BS, et al. A study of platelet activation in atrial fibrillation and the effects of antithrombotic therapy. Eur Heart J. 2002;23:1788–95. CrossRef
- Heeringa J, Conway DS, van der Kuip DA, et al. A longitudinal population-based study of prothrombotic factors in elderly subjects with atrial fibrillation: the Rotterdam Study 1990–1999. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4:1944–9. CrossRef
- Feng D, D’Agostino RB, Silbershatz H, et al. Hemostatic state and atrial fibrillation (The Framingham Offspring Study). Amer J Cardiol. 2001;87:168–71. CrossRef
- Lip GYH, Lip PL, Zarifis J, et al. Fibrin D-dimer and beta-thromboglobulin as markers of thrombogenesis and platelet activation in atrial fibrillation. Effects of introducing ultra-low-dose of warfarin and aspirin. Circulation. 1996;94:425–31.
- Kamath S, Blann AD, Chin BS, Lip GY. A prospective randomized trial of aspirin-clopidogrel combination therapy and dose-adjusted warfarin on indices of thrombogenesis and platelet activation in atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;40:484–90. CrossRef
- Sadangara T, Sadanaga M, Ogawa S. Evidence that d-Dimer levels predict subsequent thromboembolic and cardiovascular events in patients with atrial fibrillation during oral anticoagulant therapy. JACC. 2010;55:2225–31.
- Feinberg WM, Pearce LA, Hart RG, et al. Markers of thrombin and platelet activity in patients with atrial fibrillation: correlation with stroke among 1531 participants in the stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation III study. Stroke. 1999;30:2547–53. CrossRef
- Connolly S, Pogue J, Hart R, et al. Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation in the Atrial fibrillation Clopidogrel Trial with Irbesartan for prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE W): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2006;367:1903–12. CrossRef
- Connolly SJ, Pogue J, Hart RG, et al.: Effect of clopidogrel added to aspirin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2009;360:2066–78. CrossRef
- 2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS Focused Update on the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation (Updating the 2006 Guideline)ACC/AHA guidelines. JACC 2011;57:223–42.
- Executive Steering Committee on behalf of the SPORTIF III Investigators. Stroke prevention with the oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran compared with warfarin in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (SPORTIF III): randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;362:1691–8. CrossRef
- SPORTIF Executive Steering Committee for the SPORTIF V Investigators. Ximelagatran vs warfarin for stroke prevention in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2005;293(6):690–8. CrossRef
- Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S, et al.: Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. NEJM 2009;361(12):1139–202. Correction NEJM 2010;363:11875–6. CrossRef
- Fiessinger JN, Huisman MV, Davidson BL, et al. Ximelagatran vs. low molecular weight heparin and warfarin for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2005;293:681–9. CrossRef
- Shulman S, Wahlander K, Lundstrom T, THRIVE III Investigators, et al. Secondary prevention of venous thromboembolism with the oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran. N Engl J Med. 2003;248:1713–21. CrossRef
- Wallentin L, Wilcox R, Weaver W, et al. Oral ximelagatran for secondary prophylaxis after myocardial infarction: the ESTEEM randomized controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;362(9386):789–97. CrossRef
- The Direct Thrombin Inhibitors Investigators. Direct thrombin inhibitors in acute coronary syndromes: principal results of a meta-analysis based on individual patients’ data. Lancet. 2002;359(9303):294–302. CrossRef
- Eriksson BI, Dahl OE, Rosencher N, et al. Dabigatran etexilate versus enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip replacement: a randomized, double-blind, non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2007;370(9591):949–55. CrossRef
- Eriksson BI, Dahl OE, Rosencher N, et al. Oral dabigatrann etexilate vs. subcutaneous enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolisms after total knee replacement: the RE-MODEL randomized trial. J Thromb Haemost. 2007;5(11):2178–85. CrossRef
- The RE-MOBILIZE Writing committee. The oral thrombin inhibitor dabigatran etexilate vs. the North American enoxaparin regimen for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after knee arthroplasty surgery. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24(1):1–9. CrossRef
- Stangier J, Rathgen K, Stahle H, et al. The pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and tolerability of dabigatran etexilate, a new oral direct thrombin inhibitor, in health male subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacology. 2007;64(3):292–303. CrossRef
- Freeman J, Zhu R, Owens DK et al. Cost Effectiveness of dabigatran compared with warfarin for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation. Annals Int Med 2010.
- Wallentin L, Yusuf S, Ezekowitz MD, et al. Efficacy and safety of dabigatran compared with warfarin at different levels of international normalized ration control for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: an analysis of the RE-LY trial. Lancet. 2010;376:975–83. CrossRef
- The AMADEUS Investigators. Comparison of idraparinux with vitamin K antagonists for prevention of thromboembolism in patients with atrial fibrillation: a randomized, open-label, non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2008;371:315–21. CrossRef
- Connolly SJ, Eikelboom J, Joyner C, et al. Apixaban in patients with atrial fibrillation unsuitable for vitamin K antagonists. New England J Feb 10, 2011;364:806–17.
- The Executive Steering Committee, on behalf of the ROCKET AF Study Investigators. Rivaroxaban-once daily, oral, direct factor Xa inhibition compared with vitamin K antagonism for prevention of stroke and embolism trial in atrial fibrillation: Rationale and design of the ROCKET AF study. Amer Heart J. 2010;159:340–7. CrossRef
- ROCKET-AF. Presented at the American Heart Association meeting 2010.
- Pharmacologic Strategies for the Prevention of Stroke in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation
Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 361-369
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links