Diastolic Dysfunction in Pediatric Cardiac Patients: Evaluation and Management
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The heart is a complex and sophisticated pump that cycles between two phases: diastole, during which a compliant chamber (ventricle) allows the blood to fill from a reservoir chamber (atrium) of low pressure, and systole, during which a stiff chamber with rapidly rising pressure ejects the blood into an arterial circuit of high pressure. However, the systolic and diastolic cycles are not dichotomous. They have complex interactions with interrelated segments of the cardiac cycle. Although the entity of “diastolic heart failure with preserved systolic function” has been applied in adult patients, a discrete diagnosis of systolic and diastolic heart failure may be difficult to apply in pediatric patients. Advances in echocardiography have helped decipher the morphologic and physiologic expression of congenital and acquired heart disease and have increased our understanding the diastolic function and dysfunction. The evolving concept of systolic and diastolic heart failure is helping us develop a strategy for its management in pediatric patients with complex heart diseases.
- Owan TE, Hodge DO, Herges RM, et al.: Trends in prevalence and outcome of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. N Engl J Med 2006, 355:251–259. CrossRef
- Sengupta PP, Krishnamoorthy VK, Korinek J, et al.: Left ventricular form and function revisited: applied translational science to cardiovascular ultrasound imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2007, 20(5):539–551. CrossRef
- Streeter Jr DD, Spotnitz HM, Patel DP, et al.: Fiber orientation in the canine left ventricle during diastole and systole. Circ Res 1969, 24:339–347.
- Greenbaum RA, Ho SY, Gibson DG, et al.: Left ventricular fibre architecture in man. Br Heart J 1981, 45:248–263. CrossRef
- Anderson RH, Ho SY, Sanchez-Quintana D, et al.: Heuristic problems in defining the three-dimensional arrangement of the ventricular myocytes. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 2006, 288:579–586.
- Zhukov L, Barr AH. Heart-muscle fiber reconstruction from diffusion tensor MRI. Proceedings of the 14th IEEE Visualization 2003. October 19–24, 2003:597– 602
- Sengupta PP, Khandheria BK, Korinek J, et al.: Apex-to-base dispersion in regional timing of left ventricular shortening and lengthening. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 47:163–172. CrossRef
- Helle-Valle T, Crosby J, Edvardsen T, et al.: New noninvasive method for assessment of left ventricular rotation: speckle tracking echocardiography. Circulation 2005, 112:3149–3156. CrossRef
- Notomi Y, Martin-Miklovic MG, Oryszak SJ, et al.: Enhanced ventricular untwisting during exercise. A mechanistic manifestation of elastic recoil described by Doppler tissue imaging. Circulation 2006, 113:2524–2533. CrossRef
- Notomi Y, Popovic ZB, Yamada H, et al.: Ventricular untwisting: a temporal link between left ventricular relaxation and suction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2008, 294:505–513. CrossRef
- Tan YT, Wenzelburger F, Lee E, et al.: The pathophysiology of heart failure with normal ejection fraction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009, 54:36–46. CrossRef
- Yip GWK, Zhang Y, Tan PYH, et al.: Left ventricular long axis changes in early diastole and systole: impact of systolic function on diastole. Clin Sci 2002, 102:515–522. CrossRef
- Leite-Moreira AF: Current perspectives in diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure. Heart 2006, 92:712–718. CrossRef
- Brutsaert DL, Sys SU, Gillebert TC: Diastolic failure: pathophysiology and therapeutic implications. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993, 22:318–325. CrossRef
- Nagueh SF, Appleton CP, Gillebert TC, et al.: Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009, 22:107–133. CrossRef
- Lester SJ, Tajik AJ, Nishimura RA, et al.: Unlocking the mysteries of diastolic function: deciphering the Rosetta Stone 10 years later. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008, 51:679–689. CrossRef
- Abhayaratna WP, Seward JB, Appleton CP, et al.: Left atrial size: physiologic determinants and clinical applications. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 47:2357–2363. CrossRef
- Daniels SR, Witt SA, Glascock B, et al.: Left atrial size in children with hypertension: the influence of obesity, blood pressure, and left ventricular mass. J Pediatr 2002, 141:186–190. CrossRef
- Notomi Y, Lysyansky P, Setser RM, et al.: Measurement of ventricular torsion by two-dimensional ultrasound speckle tracking imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005, 45:2034–2041. CrossRef
- Lorch SM, Ludomirsky A, Singh GK: Maturational and growth-related changes in left ventricular longitudinal strain and strain rate measured by two-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography in healthy pediatric population. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2008, 21:1207–1215. CrossRef
- Rüssel JK, Götte MJW, Bronzwaer JG, et al.: Left ventricular torsion: an expanding role in the analysis of myocardial dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol Img 2009, 2:648–655.
- Garcia MJ, Ares MA, Asher C, et al.: An index of early left ventricular filling that combined with pulsed Doppler peak E velocity may estimate capillary wedge pressure. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997, 29:448–454. CrossRef
- Nagueh SF, Sun H, Kopelen HA, et al.: Hemodynamic determinants of mitral annulus diastolic velocities by tissue Doppler. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001, 37:278–285. CrossRef
- Ommen SR, Nishimura RA, Appleton CP, et al.: Clinical utility of Doppler echocardiography and tissue Doppler imaging in the estimation of left ventricular filling pressures: a comparative simultaneous Doppler-catheterization study. Circulation 2000, 102:1788–1794.
- Firstenberg MS, Levine BD, Garcia MJ, et al.: Relationship of echocardiographic indices to pulmonary capillary wedge pressures in healthy volunteers. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000, 36:1664–1669. CrossRef
- Rivas-Gotz C, Khoury DS, Manolios M, et al.: Time interval between onset of mitral inflow and onset of early diastolic velocity by tissue Doppler: a novel index of left ventricular relaxation: experimental studies and clinical application. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003, 42:1463–1470. CrossRef
- Eidem BW, McMahon CJ, Cohen RR, et al.: Impact of cardiac growth on doppler tissue imaging velocities: a study in healthy children. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2004, 17:212–221. CrossRef
- Nishimura RA, Appleton CP, Redfield MM, et al.: Noninvasive Doppler echocardiographic evaluation of left ventricular filling pressures in patients with cardiomyopathies: a simultaneous Doppler echocardiographic and cardiac catheterization study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996, 28:1226–1233. CrossRef
- Ohno M, Cheng CP, Little WC: Mechanism of altered patterns of left ventricular filling during the development of congestive heart failure. Circulation 1994, 89:2241–2250.
- Little WC, Ohno M, Kitzman DW, et al.: Determination of left ventricular chamber stiffness from the time for deceleration of early left ventricular filling. Circulation 1995, 92:1933–1939.
- Rivas-Gotz C, Manolios M, Thohan V, Nagueh SF: Impact of left ventricular ejection fraction on estimation of left ventricular filling pressures using tissue Doppler and flow propagation velocity. Am J Cardiol 2003, 91:780–784. CrossRef
- Kasner M, Westermann D, Steendijk P, et al.: Utility of Doppler echocardiography and tissue Doppler imaging in the estimation of diastolic function in heart failure with normal ejection fraction: a comparative Doppler-conductance catheterization study. Circulation 2007, 11:637–647. CrossRef
- Wang J, Khoury DS, Thohan V, et al.: Global diastolic strain rate for the assessment of left ventricular relaxation and filling pressures. Circulation 2007, 115:1376–1383. CrossRef
- Giannuzzi P, Temporelli PL, Bosmini E, et al.: Independent and incremental prognostic value of Doppler-derived mitral deceleration time of early filling in both symptomatic and asymptomatic patients with left ventricular dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996, 28:383–390. CrossRef
- Pinamonti B, Zecchin M, Di Lenarda A, et al.: Persistence of restrictive left ventricular filling pattern in dilated cardiomyopathy: an ominous prognostic sign. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997, 29:604–612. CrossRef
- Yamamoto T, Oki T, Yamada H, et al.: Prognostic value of the atrial systolic mitral annular motion velocity in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2003, 16:333–339. CrossRef
- Wang M, Yip GW, Wang AY, et al.: Tissue Doppler imaging provides incremental prognostic value in patients with systemic hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy. J Hypertens 2005, 23:183–191. CrossRef
- Vogel M, Sponring J, Cullen S, et al.: Regional wall motion and abnormalities of electrical depolarization and repolarization in patients after surgical repair of tetralogy of Fallot. Circulation 2001, 103:1669–1673.
- McMahon CJ, Nagueh SF, Eapen RS, et al.: Echocardiographic predictors of adverse clinical events in children with dilated cardiomyopathy: a prospective clinical study. Heart 2004, 90:908–915. CrossRef
- McMahon CJ, Pignatelli RH, Nagueh SF, et al.: Left ventricular non-compaction cardiomyopathy in children: characterisation of clinical status using tissue Doppler-derived indices of left ventricular diastolic relaxation. Heart 2007, 93:676–681. CrossRef
- McMahon CJ, Nagueh SF, Pignatelli RH, et al.: Characterization of left ventricular diastolic function by tissue Doppler imaging and clinical status in children with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2004, 109:1756–1762. CrossRef
- Batisky DL, Sorof JM, Sugg J, et al.: Efficacy and safety of extended release metoprolol succinate in hypertensive children 6-16 years of age: a clinical trial experience. J Pediatr 2007, 150:134–139. CrossRef
- Pozzoli M, Traversi E, Cioffi G, et al.: Loading manipulations improve the prognostic value of Doppler evaluation of mitral flow in patients with chronic heart failure. Circulation 1997, 95:1222–1230.
- Stevenson LW, Tillisch JH, Hamilton M, et al.: Importance of hemodynamic response to therapy in predicting survival with ejection fraction less than or equal to 20% secondary to ischemic or nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 1990, 66:1348–1354. CrossRef
- Arnold JM, Yusuf S, Young J, et al.: Prevention of heart failure in patients in the Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation (HOPE) study. Circulation 2003, 107:1284–1290. CrossRef
- Silver MA, Peacock WF, Diercks DB: Optimizing treatment and outcomes in acute heart failure: beyond initial triage. Congest Heart Fail 2006, 12:137–145. CrossRef
- Diastolic Dysfunction in Pediatric Cardiac Patients: Evaluation and Management
Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine
Volume 12, Issue 5 , pp 503-517
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links