Coronary Stent Thrombosis in the Current Era: Challenges and Opportunities for Treatment
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The introduction of the drug-eluting stent has raised concerns regarding the occurrence of stent thrombosis (ST), particularly late (and very late) thrombosis. This renewed attention shows that ST remains a major concern after implantation of both bare metal and drug-eluting stents. Cardiologists should be aware of this dreadful complication, because it is associated with substantial morbidity and mortality. Numerous clinical, procedural, and angiographic risk factors have been identified. Moreover, the influence of novel determinants, such as high on-treatment reactivity, genetic predisposition, and the stent’s direct effects on the (healing of the) vessel wall, now are recognized. Consequently, the pathophysiology of ST has evolved into a complex multifactorial model. This broader understanding of the pathophysiology of ST enables cardiologists to perform extensive risk stratification to identify patients at higher risk and provides clues to important treatment options. The core of primary prevention after stent implantation, as well as secondary prevention after ST, should consist of a) the prevention of modifiable risk factors and b) optimal individualized treatment for each patient. Future developments, such as genetic bedside testing, point-of-care platelet testing, and sophisticated imaging modalities, might aid in this approach.
- Gruntzig A: Transluminal dilatation of coronary-artery stenosis. Lancet 1978, 1:263. CrossRef
- Serruys PW, Strauss BH, Beatt KJ, et al.: Angiographic follow-up after placement of a self-expanding coronary-artery stent. N Engl J Med 1991, 324:13–17. CrossRef
- Camenzind E, Steg PG, Wijns W: Stent thrombosis late after implantation of first-generation drug-eluting stents: a cause for concern. Circulation 2007, 115:1440–1455. CrossRef
- McFadden EP, Stabile E, Regar E, et al.: Late thrombosis in drug-eluting coronary stents after discontinuation of antiplatelet therapy. Lancet 2004, 364:1519–1521. CrossRef
- Wenaweser P, Rey C, Eberli FR, et al.: Stent thrombosis following bare-metal stent implantation: success of emergency percutaneous coronary intervention and predictors of adverse outcome. Eur Heart J 2005, 26:1180–1187. CrossRef
- Daemen J, Wenaweser P, Tsuchida K, et al.: Early and late coronary stent thrombosis of sirolimus-eluting and paclitaxel-eluting stents in routine clinical practice: data from a large two-institutional cohort study. Lancet 2007, 369:667–678. CrossRef
- Roy P, Torguson R, Okabe T, et al.: Angiographic and procedural correlates of stent thrombosis after intracoronary implantation of drug-eluting stents. J Interv Cardiol 2007, 20:307–313. CrossRef
- Uren NG, Schwarzacher SP, Metz JA, et al.: Predictors and outcomes of stent thrombosis: an intravascular ultrasound registry. Eur Heart J 2002, 23:124–132. CrossRef
- Cheneau E, Leborgne L, Mintz GS, et al.: Predictors of subacute stent thrombosis: results of a systematic intravascular ultrasound study. Circulation 2003, 108:43–47. CrossRef
- van Werkum JW, Heestermans AA, Zomer AC, et al.: Predictors of coronary stent thrombosis: the Dutch Stent Thrombosis Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009, 53:1399–1409. CrossRef
- Cutlip DE, Windecker S, Mehran R, et al.: Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions. Circulation 2007, 115:2344–2351. CrossRef
- Maluenda G, Lemesle G, Waksman R: A critical appraisal of the safety and efficacy of drug-eluting stents. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2009, 85:474–480. CrossRef
- Stettler C, Wandel S, Allemann S, et al.: Outcomes associated with drug-eluting and bare-metal stents: a collaborative network meta-analysis. Lancet 2007, 370:937–948. CrossRef
- Shishehbor MH, Goel SS, Kapadia SR, et al.: Long-term impact of drug-eluting stents versus bare-metal stents on all-cause mortality. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008, 52:1041–1048. CrossRef
- Brar SS, Leon MB, Stone GW, et al.: Use of drug-eluting stents in acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009, 53:1677–1689. CrossRef
- Shishehbor MH, Amini R, Oliveria LP, et al.: Comparison of drug-eluting stents versus bare-metal stents for treating ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2008, 1:227–232. CrossRef
- Maehara A, Mintz GS, Weissman NJ, et al.: Late thrombosis after gamma-brachytherapy. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2003, 58:455–458. CrossRef
- Waksman R: Late thrombosis after radiation. Sitting on a time bomb. Circulation 1999, 100:780–782.
- Doyle B, Rihal CS, O’Sullivan CJ, et al.: Outcomes of stent thrombosis and restenosis during extended follow-up of patients treated with bare-metal coronary stents. Circulation 2007, 116:2391–2398. CrossRef
- Iakovou I, Schmidt T, Bonizzoni E, et al.: Incidence, predictors, and outcome of thrombosis after successful implantation of drug-eluting stents. JAMA 2005, 293:2126–2130. CrossRef
- Kuchulakanti PK, Chu WW, Torguson R, et al.: Correlates and long-term outcomes of angiographically proven stent thrombosis with sirolimus-and paclitaxel-eluting stents. Circulation 2006, 113:1108–1113. CrossRef
- Park DW, Park SW, Park KH, et al.: Frequency of and risk factors for stent thrombosis after drug-eluting stent implantation during long-term follow-up. Am J Cardiol 2006, 98:352–356. CrossRef
- de la Torre-Hernandez JM, Alfonso F, Hernandez F, et al.: Drug-eluting stent thrombosis: results from the multicenter Spanish registry ESTROFA (Estudio ESpanol sobre TROmbosis de stents FArmacoactivos). J Am Coll Cardiol 2008, 51:986–990. CrossRef
- van Werkum JW, Heestermans AA, de Korte FI, et al.: Long-term clinical outcome after a first angiographically confirmed coronary stent thrombosis: an analysis of 431 cases. Circulation 2009, 119:828–834. CrossRef
- Lemesle G, Sudre A, Modine T, et al.: High incidence of recurrent in stent thrombosis after successful treatment of a first in stent thrombosis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2008, 72:470–478. CrossRef
- Pfisterer M, Brunner-La Rocca HP, Buser PT, et al.: Late clinical events after clopidogrel discontinuation may limit the benefit of drug-eluting stents: an observational study of drug-eluting versus bare-metal stents. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 48:2584–2591. CrossRef
- Eisenstein EL, Anstrom KJ, Kong DF, et al.: Clopidogrel use and long-term clinical outcomes after drug-eluting stent implantation. JAMA 2007, 297:159–168. CrossRef
- Roy P, Bonello L, Torguson R, et al.: Temporal relation between Clopidogrel cessation and stent thrombosis after drug-eluting stent implantation. Am J Cardiol 2009, 103:801–805. CrossRef
- Tanzilli G, Greco C, Pelliccia F, et al.: Effectiveness of two-year clopidogrel + aspirin in abolishing the risk of very late thrombosis after drug-eluting stent implantation (from the TYCOON [two-year ClOpidOgrel need] study). Am J Cardiol 2009, 104:1357–1361. CrossRef
- Park DW, Yun SC, Lee SW, et al.: Stent thrombosis, clinical events, and influence of prolonged clopidogrel use after placement of drug-eluting stent data from an observational cohort study of drug-eluting versus bare-metal stents. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2008, 1:494–503. CrossRef
- Finn AV, Nakazawa G, Joner M, et al.: Vascular responses to drug eluting stents: importance of delayed healing. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2007, 27:1500–1510. CrossRef
- Joner M, Finn AV, Farb A, et al.: Pathology of drug-eluting stents in humans: delayed healing and late thrombotic risk. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 48:193–202. CrossRef
- Cook S, Ladich E, Nakazawa G, et al.: Correlation of intravascular ultrasound findings with histopathological analysis of thrombus aspirates in patients with very late drug-eluting stent thrombosis. Circulation 2009, 120:391–399. CrossRef
- Geisler T, Zurn C, Simonenko R, et al.: Early but not late stent thrombosis is influenced by residual platelet aggregation in patients undergoing coronary interventions. Eur Heart J 2009 Oct 6 (Epub ahead of print).
- Pinto Slottow TL, Bonello L, Gavini R, et al.: Prevalence of aspirin and clopidogrel resistance among patients with and without drug-eluting stent thrombosis. Am J Cardiol 2009, 104:525–530. CrossRef
- Shuldiner AR, O’Connell JR, Bliden KP, et al.: Association of cytochrome P450 2C19 genotype with the antiplatelet effect and clinical efficacy of clopidogrel therapy. JAMA 2009, 302:849–857. CrossRef
- Serebruany VL, Steinhubl SR, Berger PB, et al.: Variability in platelet responsiveness to clopidogrel among 544 individuals. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005, 45:246–251. CrossRef
- Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, Hiatt BL, O’Connor CM: Clopidogrel for coronary stenting: response variability, drug resistance, and the effect of pretreatment platelet reactivity. Circulation 2003, 107:2908–2913. CrossRef
- Marin F, Gonzalez-Conejero R, Capranzano P, et al.: Pharmacogenetics in cardiovascular antithrombotic therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009, 54:1041–1057. CrossRef
- Hulot JS, Bura A, Villard E, et al.: Cytochrome P450 2C19 loss-of-function polymorphism is a major determinant of clopidogrel responsiveness in healthy subjects. Blood 2006, 108:2244–2247. CrossRef
- Mega JL, Close SL, Wiviott SD, et al.: Cytochrome p-450 polymorphisms and response to clopidogrel. N Engl J Med 2009, 360:354–362. CrossRef
- Sibbing D, Stegherr J, Latz W, et al.: Cytochrome P450 2C19 loss-of-function polymorphism and stent thrombosis following percutaneous coronary intervention. Eur Heart J 2009, 30:916–922. CrossRef
- Harmsze A, van Werkum JW, Bouman HJ, et al.: Besides CYP2C19*2, the variant allele CYP2C9*3 is associated with higher on-clopidogrel platelet reactivity in patients on dual antiplatelet therapy undergoing elective coronary stent implantation. Pharmacogenet Genomics 2009 Nov 19 (Epub ahead of print).
- Zwart B, Van Kerkvoorde TC, van Werkum JW, et al.: Vigorous exercise as a triggering mechanism for late stent thrombosis: a description of three cases. Platelets 2009 Nov 23 (Epub ahead of print).
- Parodi G, Antoniucci D: Late coronary stent thrombosis associated with exercise testing. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2004, 61:515–517. CrossRef
- Zwart B, van Werkum JW, Heestermans AA, ten Berg JM: Triggering mechanisms of stent thrombosis: data from the Dutch Stent Thrombosis Registry [abstract]. Presented at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions. New Orleans, LA; November 11, 2008.
- Jeong MH, Owen WG, Staab ME, et al.: Porcine model of stent thrombosis: platelets are the primary component of acute stent closure. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1996, 38:38–43. CrossRef
- Casserly IP, Hasdai D, Berger PB, et al.: Usefulness of abciximab for treatment of early coronary artery stent thrombosis. Am J Cardiol 1998, 82:981–985. CrossRef
- Hasdai D, Garratt KN, Holmes DR Jr, et al.: Coronary angioplasty and intracoronary thrombolysis are of limited efficacy in resolving early intracoronary stent thrombosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996, 28:361–367. CrossRef
- Lemesle G, De Labriolle A, Bonello L, et al.: Impact of thrombus aspiration use for the treatment of stent thrombosis on early patient outcomes. J Invasive Cardiol 2009, 21:210–214.
- Coronary Stent Thrombosis in the Current Era: Challenges and Opportunities for Treatment
Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 46-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cardiology, St. Antonius Hospital, Koekoekslaan 1, 3435 CM, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
- 2. Medisch Centrum Alkmaar, Wilhelminalaan 12, 1815 JD, Alkmaar, The Netherlands