New data about stenting versus endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid artery stenosis
- Larry B. Goldstein
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Patients with symptomatic carotid artery stenosis should be counseled on diet, exercise, moderation of alcohol consumption, smoking cessation, and avoidance of environmental tobacco smoke. Medical therapy generally includes a platelet antiaggregant, blood pressure control, and a statin. Other medical therapy depends on specific patient characteristics. Carotid endarterectomy in addition to best medical therapy is of proven benefit in reducing the risk of ipsilateral stroke compared with best medical therapy alone in patients with symptomatic high-grade stenosis, provided the operation can be performed safely. Although limited, data are available to support carotid angioplasty/stenting in patients with symptomatic high-grade stenosis in whom endarterectomy is not feasible because of anatomic or other technical factors. Whether carotid angioplasty/stenting is as efficacious as endarterectomy in patients with average periprocedural risk remains uncertain and is under investigation.
- Hankey GJ, Jamrozik K, Broadhurst RJ, et al.: Five-year survival after first-ever stroke and related prognostic factors in the Perth Community Stroke Study. Stroke 2000, 31:2080–2086.
- Liberato B, Chong J, Lee H-S, et al.: Degree of carotid artery stenosis and potential eligibility for intervention: the Northern Manhattan Stroke Study. Neurology 2004, 62(Suppl 5):A139.
- Paddock-Eliasziw LM, Eliasziw M, Barr HWK, Barnett HJM: Long-term prognosis and the effect of carotid endarterectomy in patients with recurrent ipsilateral ischemic events. Neurology 1996, 47:1158–1162.
- Rothwell PM, Eliasziw M, Gutnikov SA, et al.: Endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis in relation to clinical subgroups and timing of surgery. Lancet 2004, 363:915–924. CrossRef
- Rothwell PM, Mehta Z, Howard SC, et al.: Treating individuals 3: from subgroups to individuals: general principles and the example of carotid endarterectomy. Lancet 2005, 365:256–265.
- Sillesen H, Amarenco P, Hennerici M, et al.: Atorvastatin reduces the risk of cardiovascular events in patients with carotid atherosclerosis: a secondary analysis of the Stroke Prevention by Aggressive Reduction in Cholesterol Levels (SPARCL) trial. Stroke 2008, 39:3297–3302. CrossRef
- Chaturvedi S, Bruno A, Feasby T, et al.: Carotid endarterectomy—an evidence-based review: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2005, 65:794–801. CrossRef
- Sacco RL, Adams R, Albers G, et al.: Guidelines for prevention of stroke in patients with ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack. A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Council on Stroke. Stroke 2006, 37:577–617. CrossRef
- Johnsen SP, Overvad K, Stripp C, et al.: Intake of fruit and vegetables and the risk of ischemic stroke in a cohort of Danish men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 2003, 78:57–64.
- Fung TT, Chiuve SE, McCullough ML, et al.: Adherence to a DASH-style diet and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women. Arch Intern Med 2008, 168:713–720. CrossRef
- Adams RJ, Albers G, Alberts MJ, et al.: Update to the AHA/ASA recommendations for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack. Stroke 2008, 39:1647–1652. CrossRef
- Antithrombotic Trialists’ Collaboration: Collaborative meta-analysis of randomised trials of antiplatelet therapy for the prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke in high risk patients. BMJ 2002, 324:71–86. CrossRef
- Sacco RL, Diener HC, Yusuf S, et al.: Aspirin and extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel for recurrent stroke. N Engl J Med 2008, 359:1238–1251. CrossRef
- Lipton RB, Bigal ME, Kolodner KB, et al.: Acetaminophen in the treatment of headaches associated with dipyridamole-aspirin combination. Neurology 2004, 63:1099–1101.
- Zakarija A, Bandarenko N, Pandey DK, et al.: Clopidogrel-associated TTP—an update of pharmacovigilance efforts conducted by independent researchers, pharmaceutical suppliers, and the Food and Drug Administration. Stroke 2004, 35:533–537. CrossRef
- Diener H-C, Bogousslavsky J, Brass LM, et al.: Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2004, 364:331–337. CrossRef
- Rashid P, Leonardi-Bee J, Bath P: Blood pressure reduction and secondary prevention of stroke and other vascular events: a systematic review. Stroke 2003, 34:2741–2748. CrossRef
- Rothwell PM, Howard SC, Spence JD: Relationship between blood pressure and stroke risk in patients with symptomatic carotid occlusive disease. Stroke 2003, 34:2583–2590. CrossRef
- Heart Protection Study Collaborative Group: Effects of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin on stroke and other major vascular events in 20,536 people with cerebrovascular disease or other high-risk conditions. Lancet 2004, 363:757–767. CrossRef
- The Stroke Prevention by Aggressive Reduction in Cholesterol Levels (SPARCL) Investigators: High-dose atorvastatin after stroke or transient ischemic attack. N Engl J Med 2006, 355:549–559. CrossRef
- Goldstein LB: Extracranial carotid artery stenosis. Stroke 2003, 34:2767–2773. CrossRef
- Jeng JS, Liu HM, Tu YK: Carotid angioplasty with or without stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for carotid artery stenosis: a meta-analysis. J Neurol Sci 2008, 270:40–47. CrossRef
- CAVATAS Investigators: Endovascular versus surgical treatment in patients with carotid stenosis in the Carotid and Vertebral Artery Transluminal Angioplasty Study (CAVATAS): a randomised trial. Lancet 2001, 357:1729–1737. CrossRef
- Alberts MJ: Results of a multicenter prospective randomized trial of carotid artery stenting vs. carotid endarterectomy. Stroke 2001, 32:325.
- Mas JL, Chatellier G, Beyssen B, et al.: Endarterectomy versus stenting in patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosis. N Engl J Med 2006, 355:1660–1671. CrossRef
- The SPACE Collaborative Group: 30 day results from the SPACE trial of stent-protected angioplasty versus carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients: a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 2006, 368:1239–1247. CrossRef
- Alberts MJ, McCann R, Smith TP, et al.: A randomized trial of carotid stenting vs. endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis: study design. J Neurovasc Dis 1997, 2:228–234.
- Ringleb PA, Chatellier G, Hacke W, et al.: Safety of endovascular treatment of carotid artery stenosis compared with surgical treatment: a meta-analysis. J Vasc Surg 2008, 47:350–355. CrossRef
- Yadav JS, Wholey MH, Kuntz RE, et al.: Protected carotidartery stenting versus endarterectomy in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2004, 351:1493–1501. CrossRef
- Gurm HS, Yadav JS, Fayad P, et al.: Long-term results of carotid stenting versus endarterectomy in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2008, 358:1572–1579. CrossRef
- Gurm HS, Nallamothu BK, Yadav J: Safety of carotid artery stenting for symptomatic carotid artery disease: a meta-analysis. Eur Heart J 2008, 29:113–119. CrossRef
- Executive Committee for the Asymptomatic Carotid Atherosclerosis Study: Endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. JAMA 1995, 273:1421–1428. CrossRef
- Halliday A, Mansfield A, Marro J, et al.: Prevention of disabling and fatal strokes by successful carotid endarterectomy in patients without recent neurological symptoms: randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2004, 363:1491–1502. CrossRef
- McPhee JT, Hill JS, Ciocca RG, et al.: Carotid endarterectomy was performed with lower stroke and death rates than carotid artery stenting in the United States in 2003 and 2004. J Vasc Surg 2007, 46:1112–1118. CrossRef
- Goodney PP, Lucas FL, Likosky DS, et al.: Changes in the use of carotid revascularization among the Medicare population. Arch Surg 2008, 143:170–173. CrossRef
- Creager MA, Goldstone J, Hirshfeld JW Jr, et al.: ACC/ACP/SCAI/SVMB/SVS clinical competence statement on vascular medicine and catheter-based peripheral vascular interventions. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004, 44:941–957. CrossRef
- SCAI/SVMB/SVS Writing Committee: SCAI/SVMB/SVS clinical competence statement on carotid stenting: training and credentialing for carotid stenting—multispecialty consensus recommendations. Vasc Med 2005, 10:65–75.
- Connors JJ, Sacks D, Furlan AJ, et al.: Training, competency, and credentialing standards for diagnostic cervicocerebral angiography, carotid stenting, and cerebrovascular intervention. Radiology 2005, 234:26–34. CrossRef
- Hobson RW 2nd: Update on the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy versus Stent Trial (CREST) protocol. J Am Coll Surg 2002, 194:S9–S14. CrossRef
- Rodriguez GJ, Qureshi AI: Current status of carotid artery angioplasty and stent placement: impact of recent clinical studies. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2008, 8:20–28. CrossRef
- New data about stenting versus endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid artery stenosis
Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 232-240
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Duke Stroke Center, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3651, Durham, NC, 27710, USA