Anemia in heart failure: To treat or not to treat?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Anemia is a prevalent comorbidity in chronic heart failure (CHF). As studies have demonstrated close links between anemia and a poorer prognosis, there has been an interest in developing treatment strategies for this condition. Anemia is closely associated with disease severity and may be secondary to multiple modifiable causes; therefore, the initial strategies should always include a thorough search for etiology and should focus on optimizing heart failure treatment. Recently, more specific therapies have been assessed, namely erythropoiesis-stimulating agents and iron supplementation therapy. Studies evaluating erythropoietin in heart failure have demonstrated conflicting results to date, with smaller, singlecenter studies seeming to show a clinical benefit and larger, multicenter trials demonstrating no significant effect on clinical outcome aside from improvement in selected quality-of-life indices. Similarly, studies evaluating iron therapy alone in anemic patients with heart failure have so far shown promising results with regard to clinical and quality-of-life outcomes, but these studies are limited in that they involved small patient numbers. Ongoing studies such as the Reduction of Events With Darbepoetin Alfa in Heart Failure (RED-HF), Iron Supplementation in Heart Failure Patients With Anemia (IRON-HF), and Ferinject Assessment in Patients With Iron Deficiency and Chronic Heart Failure (FAIR-HF) trials will determine the value of darbepoetin alfa and intravenous iron replacement therapy in anemic CHF patients.
- World Health Organization: Nutritional Anaemias: Report of a WHO Scientific Group. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1968.
- Felker GM, Adams KF Jr, Gattis WA, O’Connor CM: Anemia as a risk factor and therapeutic target in heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004, 44:959–966. CrossRef
- Anand IS: Heart failure and anemia: mechanisms and pathophysiology. Heart Fail Rev 2008, 13:379–386. CrossRef
- Androne AS, Katz SD, Lund L, et al.: Hemodilution is common in patients with advanced heart failure. Circulation 2003, 107:226–229. CrossRef
- Murphy NF, McDonald K: Treatment of anaemia in chronic heart failure—optimal approach still unclear. Eur Heart J 2007, 28:2185–2187. CrossRef
- Silverberg DS, Wexler D, Blum M, et al.: The use of subcutaneous erythropoietin and intravenous iron for the treatment of the anemia of severe, resistant congestive heart failure improves cardiac and renal function and functional cardiac class, and markedly reduces hospitalizations. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000, 35:1737–1744. CrossRef
- Hunt SA: ACC/AHA 2005 guideline update for the diagnosis and management of chronic heart failure in the adult: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Update the 2001 Guidelines for the Evaluation and Management of Heart Failure). J Am Coll Cardiol 2005, 46:e1–e82. CrossRef
- Mancini DM, Katz SD, Lang CC, et al.: Effect of erythropoietin on exercise capacity in patients with moderate to severe chronic heart failure. Circulation 2003, 107:294–299. CrossRef
- Palazzuoli A, Silverberg D, Iovine F, et al.: Erythropoietin improves anemia exercise tolerance and renal function and reduces B-type natriuretic peptide and hospitalization in patients with heart failure and anemia. Am Heart J 2006, 152:1096.e9–1096.e15. CrossRef
- Palazzuoli A, Silverberg DS, Iovine F, et al.: Effects of beta-erythropoietin treatment on left ventricular remodeling, systolic function, and B-type natriuretic peptide levels in patients with the cardiorenal anemia syndrome. Am Heart J 2007, 154:645.e9–645.e15. CrossRef
- Silverberg DS, Wexler D, Sheps D, et al.: The effect of correction of mild anemia in severe, resistant congestive heart failure using subcutaneous erythropoietin and intravenous iron: a randomized controlled study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001, 37:1775–1780. CrossRef
- Bolger AP, Bartlett FR, Penston HS, et al.: Intravenous iron alone for the treatment of anemia in patients with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 48:1225–1227. CrossRef
- Okonko DO, Grzeslo A, Witkowski T, et al.: Effect of intravenous iron sucrose on exercise tolerance in anemic and nonanemic patients with symptomatic chronic heart failure and iron deficiency FERRIC-HF: a randomized, controlled, observer-blinded trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008, 51:103–112. CrossRef
- Toblli JE, Lombraña A, Duarte P, Di Gennaro F: Intravenous iron reduces NT-pro-brain natriuretic peptide in anemic patients with chronic heart failure and renal insufficiency. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007, 50:1657–1665. CrossRef
- Ghali JK, Anand IS, Abraham WT, et al.: Randomized double-blind trial of darbepoetin alfa in patients with symptomatic heart failure and anemia. Circulation 2008, 117:526–535. CrossRef
- Ponikowski P, Anker SD, Szachniewicz J, et al.: Effect of darbepoetin alfa on exercise tolerance in anemic patients with symptomatic chronic heart failure: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007, 49:753–762. CrossRef
- van Veldhuisen DJ, Dickstein K, Cohen-Solal A, et al.: Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to evaluate the effect of two dosing regimens of darbepoetin alfa in patients with heart failure and anaemia. Eur Heart J 2007, 28:2208–2216. CrossRef
- Phrommintikul A, Haas SJ, Elsik M, Krum H: Mortality and target haemoglobin concentrations in anaemic patients with chronic kidney disease treated with erythropoietin: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2007, 369:381–388. CrossRef
- Singh AK, Szczech L, Tang KL, et al.: Correction of anemia with epoetin alfa in chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med 2006, 355:2085–2098. CrossRef
- Drueke TB, Locatelli F, Clyne N, et al.: Normalization of hemoglobin level in patients with chronic kidney disease and anemia. N Engl J Med 2006, 355:2071–2084. CrossRef
- Henke M, Laszig R, Rube C, et al.: Erythropoietin to treat head and neck cancer patients with anaemia undergoing radiotherapy: randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2003, 362:1255–1260. CrossRef
- Leyland-Jones B, Semiglazov V, Pawlicki M, et al.: Maintaining normal hemoglobin levels with epoetin alfa in mainly nonanemic patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving first-line chemotherapy: a survival study. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:5960–5972. CrossRef
- RED-HF Trial—Reduction of Events With Darbepoetin Alfa in Heart Failure Trial (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00358215). Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00358215. Accessed May 22, 2008.
- Beck-da-Silva L, Rohde LE, Pereira-Barretto AC, et al.: Rationale and design of the IRON-HF study: a randomized trial to assess the effects of iron supplementation in heart failure patients with anemia. J Card Fail 2007, 13:14–17. CrossRef
- Ferinject Assessment in Patients With Iron Deficiency and Chronic Heart Failure (FAIR-HF) (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00520780). Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00520780. Accessed May 22, 2008.
- Cavill I, Auerbach M, Bailie GR, et al.: Iron and the anaemia of chronic disease: a review and strategic recommendations. Curr Med Res Opin 2006, 22:731–737. CrossRef
- Weiss G, Goodnough LT: Anemia of chronic disease. N Engl J Med 2005, 352:1011–1023. CrossRef
- Wu WC, Rathore SS, Wang Y, et al.: Blood transfusion in elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2001, 345:1230–1236. CrossRef
- Rao SV, Jollis JG, Harrington RA, et al.: Relationship of blood transfusion and clinical outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes. JAMA 2004, 292:1555–1562. CrossRef
- Hebert PC, Wells G, Blajchman MA, et al.: A multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial of transfusion requirements in critical care. Transfusion Requirements in Critical Care Investigators, Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. N Engl J Med 1999, 340:409–417. CrossRef
- Hebert PC, Tinmouth A, Corwin HL: Controversies in RBC transfusion in the critically ill. Chest 2007, 131:1583–1590. CrossRef
- Krantz SB: Erythropoietin. Blood 1991, 77:419–434.
- Jelkmann W: Molecular biology of erythropoietin. Intern Med 2004, 43:649–659. CrossRef
- Wright GL, Hanlon P, Amin K, et al.: Erythropoietin receptor expression in adult rat cardiomyocytes is associated with an acute cardioprotective effect for recombinant erythropoietin during ischemia-reperfusion injury. FASEB J 2004, 18:1031–1033.
- Statement of John K. Jenkins, MD, Director, Office of New Drugs, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, before Committee on Ways and Means, Subcommittee on Health, United States House of Representatives. Available at http://www.fda.gov/ola/2007/esa062607.html. Accessed May 22, 2008.
- Macdougall IC, Cooper AC: Erythropoietin resistance: the role of inflammation and pro-inflammatory cytokines. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002, 17(Suppl 11):39–43.
- Winearls CG: Recombinant human erythropoietin: 10 years of clinical experience. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1998, 13(Suppl 2):3–8. CrossRef
- Fisher JW: Erythropoietin: physiology and pharmacology update. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2003, 228:1–14.
- Egrie JC, Dwyer E, Browne JK, et al.: Darbepoetin alfa has a longer circulating half-life and greater in vivo potency than recombinant human erythropoietin. Exp Hematol 2003, 31:290–299. CrossRef
- van Veldhuisen DJ, McMurray JJ: Are erythropoietin stimulating proteins safe and efficacious in heart failure? Why we need an adequately powered randomised outcome trial. Eur J Heart Fail 2007, 9:110–112. CrossRef
- Ezekowitz JA, McAlister FA, Armstrong PW: Anemia is common in heart failure and is associated with poor outcomes: insights from a cohort of 12,065 patients with new-onset heart failure. Circulation 2003, 107:223–225. CrossRef
- Nanas JN, Matsouka C, Karageorgopoulos D, et al.: Etiology of anemia in patients with advanced heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 48:2485–2489. CrossRef
- Cavill I: Intravenous iron as adjuvant therapy: a two-edged sword? Nephrol Dial Transplant 2003, 18(Suppl 8):viii24–viii28.
- Deicher R, Horl WH: New insights into the regulation of iron homeostasis. Eur J Clin Invest 2006, 36:301–309. CrossRef
- Anemia in heart failure: To treat or not to treat?
Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine
Volume 10, Issue 6 , pp 455-464
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links