A Reappraisal of Storage and Voiding Dysfunction
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Lower urinary tract symptoms are common in women. They may be more broadly classified into storage and voiding disorders. Recent literature has focussed on the management of voiding dysfunction and the spectrum of symptoms presented by women with such disorders. Symptoms of voiding dysfunction and storage symptoms may coexist, making diagnosis and management even more challenging. The purpose of this paper is to review the literature regarding the definition and management of voiding dysfunction with and without associated storage symptoms.
- Kelleher CJ, Cardozo LD, Khullar V, Salvatore S. A new questionnaire to assess the quality of life of urinary incontinent women. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1997;104(12):1374–9. CrossRef
- Irwin DE, Milsom I, Hunskaar S, et al. Population-based survey of urinary incontinence, overactive bladder, and other lower urinary tract symptoms in five countries: results of the EPIC study. Eur Urol. 2006;50(60):1306–14. CrossRef
- •• Haylen BT, de Ridder D, Freeman RM, et al. An International Urogynaecological Association (IUGA) / International Continence Society (ICS) joint report on the terminology for female pelvic floor dysfunction. Int Urogynaecol J. 2010;21:5–26. This is a redefinition of all the terminology involving LUTS. CrossRef
- Kupelian V, Wei J, O’Leary M, et al. Prevalence of lower urinary tract symptoms and effect on the quality of life in a racially and ethnically diverse random sample: The Boston Area Community Health (Bach) survey. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:2381–7. CrossRef
- Coyne K, Sexton C, Kopp Z, et al. The prevalence, bother, overlap of LUTS in the US, UK, Sweden: EpiLUTS. Eur Urol Suppl. 2008;7:238. CrossRef
- Abrams P, Andersson KE, Birder I, et al. Fourth International Consultation on Incontinence Recommendations of the International Scientific Committee: Evaluation and treatment of urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and faecal incontinence. Neurourol Urodyn. 2010;29:213–40. CrossRef
- Stoller ML, Millard RJ. The accuracy of a catheterised residual urine. J Urol. 1989;141:15–6.
- Holmes JH. Ultrasonic studies of the bladder. J Urol. 1967;97:654–63.
- Gehrich A, Stany MP, Fischer JR, et al. Establishing a mean post void residual in asymptomatic perimenopausal and postmenopausal women. Obstet Gynecol. 2007;110:827–32. CrossRef
- • Espura-Pons M, Cardozo L, Chapple C, et al. Overactive bladder symptoms and voiding dysfunction in neurologically normal women. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012;31(4):422–8. This is very relevant to this topic. CrossRef
- Fitzgerald MP, Jaffar J, Brubaker L. Risk factors for an elevated post void residual urine volume in women with symptoms of urinary urgency, frequency and urge incontinence. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2001;12:237–9. CrossRef
- Milleman M, Iangenstroer P, Guralnick ML. Post-void residual urine volume in women with overactive bladder syndrome. J Urol. 2004;172:1911–4. CrossRef
- Lukacz ES, DuHamel E, Menefee SA, et al. Elevated post void residual in women with pelvic floor disorders: prevalence and associated risk factors. Int Urogynaecol J. 2007;18:397–400. CrossRef
- Haylen BT, Lee J, Logan V, et al. Immediate postvoid residual volumes in women with symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;111(6):1305–12. CrossRef
- Groutz A, Blaivis J, Chaikin D. Bladder outlet obstruction in women: definition and characteristics. Neurourol Urodyn. 2000;19:213–20. CrossRef
- Kuo HC. Videourodynamic characteristics and lower urinary tract symptoms of female bladder outlet obstruction. Urology. 2005;66:1005–9. CrossRef
- Seki N, Karim OM, Mostwin JL. The effect of experimental urethral obstruction and its reversal on changes in passive electrical properties of the detrusor muscle. J Urol. 1992;148:1957–61.
- Steers WD, De Groat WC. Effect of bladder outlet obstruction on micturition reflex pathway in the rat. J Urol. 1988;140:864–71.
- Steers WD, Kolbeck S, Creedon D, et al. Nerve growth factor in the urinary bladder of the adult regulates neuronal form and function. J Clin Invest. 1991;88:1709–15. CrossRef
- Thuroff JW, Abrams P, Andersson KE, et al. EAU guidelines on urinary incontinence. Eur Urol. 2011;59:387–400. CrossRef
- Schafer W, et al. Good urodynamic practices: uroflowmetry, filling cystometry and pressure flow studies. Neurourol Urodyn. 2002;21(3):261–74. CrossRef
- Nitti VW, Tu LM, Gitlin J. Diagnosing bladder outflow obstruction in women. J Urol. 1999;161:1535–40. CrossRef
- Fletcher SG, Haverkorn RM, Yan J, et al. Demographic and urodynamic factors associated with persistent OAB after anterior compartment prolapse repair. Neurourol Urodyn. 2010;29:1414–8. CrossRef
- Digesu GA, Salvatore S, Chahila C, et al. Do overactive bladder symptoms improve after repair of anterior vaginal wall prolapse? Int Urogynaecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007;18:1439–43. CrossRef
- Daneshgari F, Kong W, Swartz M. Complications of midurethral slings: Important outcomes for future clinical trials. J Urol. 2008;180:1890–7. CrossRef
- Huwyler M, Burton C, Renganathan A. Retrospective case modelling to assess the impact of early intervention for voiding dysfunction after retropubic tape. When is it best to intervene? Int Urogynaecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. 2010;21:823–7. CrossRef
- Starkman JS, Duffy JW, Wolter CE, et al. The evolution of obstruction induced overactive bladder symptoms following urethrolysis for bladder outlet obstruction. J Urol. 2008;179(3):1018–23. CrossRef
- Basu M, Duckett J. The effect of urethral dilatation on pressure flow studies in women with voiding dysfunction and overactive bladder. Int Urogynaecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. 2009;83:311–5.
- Costantini E, Lazzeri M, Bini V, et al. An open label, longitudinal study of tamsulosin for functional bladder outlet obstruction in women. Urol Int. 2009;83:311–5. CrossRef
- A Reappraisal of Storage and Voiding Dysfunction
Current Urology Reports
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 482-487
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Lower urinary tract symptoms
- Industry Sectors