Evaluation and Management of Outlet Obstruction in Women Without Anatomical Abnormalities on Physical Exam or Cystoscopy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Bladder outlet obstruction (BOO) in women can be either anatomic or functional. Anatomic causes for BOO are often readily apparent by history and physical exam. On the other hand, causes for functional obstruction, including dysfunctional voiding, primary bladder neck obstruction, and detrusor-external sphincter dyssynergia, are more difficult to establish. Because the appropriate treatment for functional obstruction drastically varies according to etiology, making an accurate diagnosis is paramount. Videourodynamics, interpreted in the context of individual clinical symptoms, remains the diagnostic gold standard in women with functional obstruction.
- Groutz A, Blaivas JG, Pies C, Sassone AM. Learned voiding dysfunction (non-neurogenic, neurogenic bladder) among adults. Neurourol Urodyn. 2001;20(3):259–68. CrossRef
- Farrar DJ, Osborne JL, Stephenson TP, Whiteside CG, Weir J, Berry J, et al. A urodynamic view of bladder outflow obstruction in the female: factors influencing the results of treatment. Br J Urol. 1975;47(7):815–22. CrossRef
- Rees DL, Whitfield HN, Islam AK, Doyle PT, Mayo ME, Wickham JE. Urodynamic findings in adult females with frequency and dysuria. Br J Urol. 1975;47(7):853–60. CrossRef
- Massey J. Obstructed Voiding in the Female. Br J Urol 1988.
- Abrams P, Cardozo L, Fall M, Griffiths D, Rosier P, Ulmsten U, et al. The standardisation of terminology of lower urinary tract function: report from the Standardisation Sub-committee of the International Continence Society. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002;187(1):116–26. CrossRef
- Abrams P. The assessment of prostatic obstruction from urodynamic measurements and from residual urine. Br J Urol 1979.
- Schäfer W. Principles and clinical application of advanced urodynamic analysis of voiding function. Urol Clin North Am. 1990;17(3):553–66.
- Nitti V, Tu L. Diagnosing bladder outlet obstruction in women. J Urol 1999.
- Patel R, Nitti V. Bladder outlet obstruction in women: prevalence, recognition and management. Curr Urol Rep 2001.
- Lemack GE. Urodynamic assessment of bladder-outlet obstruction in women. Nat Clin Pract Urol. 2006;3(1):38–44. CrossRef
- Dmochowski RR. Bladder outlet obstruction: etiology and evaluation. Rev Urol MedRev LLC. 2005;7 Suppl 6:S3.
- Farrar D, Warwick R. Outflow obstruction in the female. The Urologic clinics of North America; 1979.
- Dwyer PL, Desmedt E. Impaired bladder emptying in women. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1994;34(1):73–8. CrossRef
- Chassagne S, Bernier PA, Haab F, Roehrborn CG, Reisch JS, Zimmern PE. Proposed cutoff values to define bladder outlet obstruction in women. Urology. 1998;51(3):408–11. CrossRef
- Lemack GE, Zimmern PE. Pressure flow analysis may aid in identifying women with outflow obstruction. J Urol. 2000;163(6):1823–8. CrossRef
- Defreitas GA, Zimmern PE, Lemack GE, Shariat SF. Refining diagnosis of anatomic female bladder outlet obstruction: comparison of pressure-flow study parameters in clinically obstructed women with those of normal controls. Urology. 2004;64(4):675–9. discussion679–81. CrossRef
- Blaivas JG, Groutz A. Bladder outlet obstruction nomogram for women with lower urinary tract symptomatology. Neurourol Urodyn. 2000;19(5):553–64. CrossRef
- Akikwala TV, Fleischman N, Nitti VW. Comparison of diagnostic criteria for female bladder outlet obstruction. J Urol. 2006;176(5):2093–7. CrossRef
- •• Haylen BT, de Ridder D, Freeman RM, Swift SE, Berghmans B, Lee J, et al. An International Urogynecological Association (IUGA)/International Continence Society (ICS) joint report on the terminology for female pelvic floor dysfunction. Neurourol Urodyn 2010. p. 4–20. This comprehensive work standardizes terminology for clinicians and researchers working in the field of female pelvic floor dysfunction.
- Jørgensen TM, Djurhuus JC, Schrøder HD. Idiopathic detrusor sphincter dyssynergia in neurologically normal patients with voiding abnormalities. Eur Urol. 1982;8(2):107–10.
- Cameron AP, Gajewski JB. Bladder outlet obstruction in painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis. Neurourol Urodyn. 2009;28(8):944–8. CrossRef
- Pannek J, Einig E-M, Einig W. Clinical management of bladder dysfunction caused by sexual abuse. Urol Int. 2009;82(4):420–5. CrossRef
- Wood SK, Baez MA, Bhatnagar S, Valentino RJ. Social stress-induced bladder dysfunction: potential role of corticotropin-releasing factor. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296(5):R1671–8. CrossRef
- •• Minardi D, d'Anzeo G, Parri G, Polito M, Piergallina M, El Asmar Z, et al. The role of uroflowmetry biofeedback and biofeedback training of the pelvic floor muscles in the treatment of recurrent urinary tract infections in women with dysfunctional voiding: a randomized controlled prospective study. Urology. 2010;75(6):1299–304. This study establishes pelvic floor physiotherapy with biofeedback as the golden standard primary treatment for dysfunctional voiding. CrossRef
- Fan Y-H, Lin ATL, Wu H-M, Hong C-J, Chen K-K. Psychological profile of female patients with dysfunctional voiding. Urology. 2008;71(4):625–9. CrossRef
- Castro-Diaz D, Taracena Lafuente JM. Detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia. Int J Clin Pract Suppl. 2006;151:17–21. CrossRef
- Xu D, Qu C, Meng H, Ren J, Zhu Y, Min Z, et al. Dysfunctional voiding confirmed by transdermal perineal electromyography, and its effective treatment with baclofen in women with lower urinary tract symptoms: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled crossover trial. BJU Int. 2007;100(3):588–92. CrossRef
- Rogalski MJ, Kellogg-Spadt S, Hoffmann AR, Fariello JY, Whitmore KE. Retrospective chart review of vaginal diazepam suppository use in high-tone pelvic floor dysfunction. Int Urogynecol J. 2010;21(7):895–9. CrossRef
- Phelan MW, Franks M, Somogyi GT, Yokoyama T, Fraser MO, Lavelle JP, et al. Botulinum toxin urethral sphincter injection to restore bladder emptying in men and women with voiding dysfunction. J Urol. 2001;165(4):1107–10. CrossRef
- Fowler CJ, Betts CD, Christmas TJ, Swash M, Fowler CG. Botulinum toxin in the treatment of chronic urinary retention in women. Br J Urol. 1992;70(4):387–9. CrossRef
- Lee K-S, Han DH, Lee Y-S, Choo M-S, Yoo TK, Park HJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of tamsulosin for the treatment of non-neurogenic voiding dysfunction in females: a 8-week prospective study. J Korean Med Sci. 2010;25(1):117. CrossRef
- Roth TJ, Vandersteen DR, Hollatz P, Inman BA, Reinberg YE. Sacral neuromodulation for the dysfunctional elimination syndrome: a single center experience with 20 children. J Urol. 2008;180(1):306–11. discussion311. CrossRef
- Diokno AC, Hollander JB, Bennett CJ. Bladder neck obstruction in women: a real entity. J Urol. 1984;132(2):294–8.
- • Brucker BM, Fong EDM, Shah SR, Kelly C, Rosenblum N, Nitti VW. Urodynamic differences between dysfunctional voiding and primary bladder neck obstruction in women. Urology. 2012;1(80):55–60. This study highlights the importance of using fluoroscopy during urodynamics to accurately distinguish between DV and PBNO. CrossRef
- Leadbetter G, Leadbetter W. Diagnosis and treatment of congenital bladder-neck obstruction in children. N Engl J Med. 1959;260(13):633–7. CrossRef
- Kuo H-C. Videourodynamic characteristics and lower urinary tract symptoms of female bladder outlet obstruction. Urology. 2005;66(5):1005–9. CrossRef
- Kessler TM, Studer UE, Burkhard FC. The effect of terazosin on functional bladder outlet obstruction in women: a pilot study. J Urol. 2006;176(4 Pt 1):1487–92. CrossRef
- Athanasopoulos A, Gyftopoulos K, Giannitsas K, Perimenis P. Effect of alfuzosin on female primary bladder neck obstruction. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009;20(2):217–22. CrossRef
- Turner-Warwick R, Whiteside CG, Worth PH, Milroy EJ, Bates CP. A urodynamic view of the clinical problems associated with bladder neck dysfunction and its treatment by endoscopic incision and trans-trigonal posterior prostatectomy. Br J Urol. 1973;45(1):44–59.
- Jonas U, Petri E, Hohenfellner R. Indication and value of bladder neck incision. Urol Int. 1979;34(4):260–5. CrossRef
- Grønbaek K, Struckmann J, Frimodt-Moller C. The treatment of female bladder neck dysfunction. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 1992;26(2):113–8.
- Kumar A, Mandhani A, Gogoi S. Management of Functional Bladder Neck Obstruction in Women: Use of α-Blockers and Pediatric Resectoscope for Bladder Neck Incision. J Urol 1999.
- Peng C-H, Kuo H-C. Transurethral incision of bladder neck in treatment of bladder neck obstruction in women. Urology. 2005;65(2):275–8. CrossRef
- Jin X-B, Qu H-W, Liu H, Li B, Wang J, Zhang Y-D. Modified transurethral incision for primary bladder neck obstruction in women: a method to improve voiding function without urinary incontinence. Urology. 2012;79(2):310–3. CrossRef
- Ahmed HU, Shergill IS, Arya M, Shah PJR. Management of detrusor–external sphincter dyssynergia. Nat Clin Pract Urol. 2006;3(7):368–80. CrossRef
- Kim YH, Kattan MW, Boone TB. Bladder leak point pressure: the measure for sphincterotomy success in spinal cord injured patients with external detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia. J Urol. 1998;159(2):493–6. discussion496–7. CrossRef
- Abdul-Rahman A, Ismail S, Hamid R, Shah J. A 20-year follow-up of the mesh wallstent in the treatment of detrusor external sphincter dyssynergia in patients with spinal cord injury. BJU Int. 2010;106(10):1510–3. CrossRef
- Chen S-L, Bih L-I, Huang Y-H, Tsai S-J, Lin T-B, Kao Y-L. Effect of Single Botulinum Toxin a Injection to the External Urethral Sphincter for Treating Detrusor External Sphincter Dyssynergia in Spinal Cord Injury. Medical Journals Limited; 2008.
- Schurch B, Schmid DM, Knapp PA. An update on the treatment of detrusor–sphincter dyssynergia with botulinum toxin type A. Eur J Neurol Wiley Online Libr. 1999;6:s83–9.
- de Sèze M, Petit H, Gallien P, de Sèze M-P, Joseph P-A, Mazaux J-M, et al. Botulinum a toxin and detrusor sphincter dyssynergia: a double-blind lidocaine-controlled study in 13 patients with spinal cord disease. Eur Urol. 2002;42(1):56–62. CrossRef
- Smith CP, Nishiguchi J, O’Leary M, Yoshimura N, Chancellor MB. Single-institution experience in 110 patients with botulinum toxin A injection into bladder or urethra. Urology. 2005;65(1):37–41. CrossRef
- Evaluation and Management of Outlet Obstruction in Women Without Anatomical Abnormalities on Physical Exam or Cystoscopy
Current Urology Reports
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 356-362
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Dysfunctional voiding
- Primary bladder neck obstruction
- Detrusor-external sphincter dyssynergia
- Functional obstruction
- Industry Sectors