Management of Locally Recurrent Kidney Cancer
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Locally recurrent kidney cancer is an uncommon but complicated problem. Due to the recognition of the importance of renal preservation and an increase in the use of nephron-sparing approaches via surgery or ablation, locally recurrent disease is being encountered with greater frequency. Treatments for locally recurrent kidney cancer include radical nephrectomy, repeat or salvage partial nephrectomy, de novo or repeat ablation, observation, or experimental systemic therapy. Each of these options has its own constellation of risks and benefits. When local recurrence is detected, the majority of renal units may be saved, but this often comes at the expense of higher perioperative complication rates, which rise with the number of previous interventions on the ipsilateral kidney. Extensive preoperative patient counseling is required to properly individualize therapy. Referral to a center of excellence should be considered before attempting repeat or salvage renal surgery.
Supplementary Material (0)
- •• Campbell SC, Novick AC, Belldegrun A, et al.: Guideline for management of the clinical T1 renal mass. J Urol 2009, 182:1271–1279. The American Urological Association guidelines for the treatment of renal masses less than 7 cm address resection, ablation, and observation.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al.: Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin 2009, 59:225–249. CrossRef
- Mathew A, Devesa SS, Fraumeni JF Jr, Chow WH: Global increases in kidney cancer incidence, 1973–1992. Eur J Cancer Prev 2002, 11:171–178. CrossRef
- Jayson M, Sanders H: Increased incidence of serendipitously discovered renal cell carcinoma. Urology 1998, 51:203–205. CrossRef
- Hollingsworth JM, Miller DC, Daignault S, Hollenbeck BK: Rising incidence of small renal masses: a need to reassess treatment effect. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006, 98:1331–1334. CrossRef
- Dunn MD, Portis AJ, Shalhav AL, et al.: Laparoscopic versus open radical nephrectomy: a 9-year experience. J Urol 2000, 164:1153–1159. CrossRef
- Nadler RB, Loeb S, Clemens JQ, et al.: A prospective study of laparoscopic radical nephrectomy for T1 tumors: is transperitoneal, retroperitoneal or hand assisted the best approach? J Urol 2006, 175:1230–1233; discussion 1234.
- Hollenbeck BK, Taub DA, Miller DC, et al.: National utilization trends of partial nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma: a case of underutilization? Urology 2006, 67:254–259. CrossRef
- Lee CT, Katz J, Shi W, et al.: Surgical management of renal tumors 4 cm or less in a contemporary cohort. J Urol 2000, 163:730–736. CrossRef
- Lau WK, Blute ML, Weaver AL, et al.: Matched comparison of radical nephrectomy vs nephron-sparing surgery in patients with unilateral renal cell carcinoma and a normal contralateral kidney. Mayo Clin Proc 2000, 75:1236–1242. CrossRef
- Leibovich BC, Blute ML, Cheville JC, et al.: Nephron sparing surgery for appropriately selected renal cell carcinoma between 4 and 7 cm results in outcome similar to radical nephrectomy. J Urol 2004, 171:1066–1070. CrossRef
- Dash A, Vickers AJ, Schachter LR, et al.: Comparison of outcomes in elective partial vs radical nephrectomy for clear cell renal cell carcinoma of 4–7 cm. BJU Int 2006, 97:939–945. CrossRef
- Gill IS, Kavoussi LR, Lane BR, et al.: Comparison of 1,800 laparoscopic and open partial nephrectomies for single renal tumors. J Urol 2007, 178:41–46. CrossRef
- Kunkle DA, Uzzo RG: Cryoablation or radiofrequency ablation of the small renal mass: a meta-analysis. Cancer 2008, 113:2671–2680. CrossRef
- Gill IS, Remer EM, Hasan WA, et al.: Renal cryoablation: outcome at 3 years. J Urol 2005, 173:1903–1907. CrossRef
- Davol PE, Fulmer BR, Rukstalis DB: Long-term results of cryoablation for renal cancer and complex renal masses. Urology 2006, 68(Suppl 1):2–6. CrossRef
- Matin SF, Ahrar K, Cadeddu JA, et al.: Residual and recurrent disease following renal energy ablative therapy: a multi-institutional study. J Urol 2006, 176:1973–1977. CrossRef
- McKiernan J, Simmons R, Katz J, Russo P: Natural history of chronic renal insufficiency after partial and radical nephrectomy. Urology 2002, 59:816–820. CrossRef
- Thompson RH, Boorjian SA, Lohse CM, et al.: Radical nephrectomy for pT1a renal masses may be associated with decreased overall survival compared with partial nephrectomy. J Urol 2008, 179:468–471; discussion 472–473.
- Huang WC, Levey AS, Serio AM, et al.: Chronic kidney disease after nephrectomy in patients with renal cortical tumours: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Oncol 2006, 7:735–740. CrossRef
- Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D, et al.: Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med 2004, 351:1296–1305. CrossRef
- Belldegrun A, Tsui KH, DeKernion JB, Smith RB: Efficacy of nephron-sparing surgery for renal cell carcinoma: analysis based on the new 1997 tumor-node-metastasis staging system. J Clin Oncol 1999, 17:2868–2875.
- Hafez KS, Fergany AF, Novick AC: Nephron sparing surgery for localized renal cell carcinoma: impact of tumor size on patient survival, tumor recurrence and TNM staging. J Urol 1999, 162:1930–1933. CrossRef
- • Kunkle DA, Egleston BL, Uzzo RG: Excise, ablate or observe: the small renal mass dilemma–a meta-analysis and review. J Urol 2008, 179:1227–1233; discussion 1233–1234. This excellent review discusses the treatment modalities available for small renal masses.
- • Rini BI: Metastatic renal cell carcinoma: many treatment options, one patient. J Clin Oncol 2009, 27:3225–3234. This is an excellent review of systemic therapy for metastatic RCC.
- Whang M, O’Toole K, Bixon R, et al.: The incidence of multifocal renal cell carcinoma in patients who are candidates for partial nephrectomy. J Urol 1995, 154:968–970; discussion 970–971.
- • Sudarshan S, Linehan WM: Genetic basis of cancer of the kidney. Semin Oncol 2006, 33:544–551. This is a concise primer on hereditary forms of kidney cancer.
- Ansari MS, Gupta NP, Kumar P: von Hippel-Lindau disease with bilateral multiple renal cell carcinoma managed by right radical nephrectomy and left repeat partial nephrectomy. Int Urol Nephrol 2003, 35:471–473. CrossRef
- Novick AC, Streem SB: Long-term followup after nephron sparing surgery for renal cell carcinoma in von Hippel-Lindau disease. J Urol 1992, 147:1488–1490.
- Steinbach F, Novick AC, Zincke H, et al.: Treatment of renal cell carcinoma in von Hippel-Lindau disease: a multicenter study. J Urol 1995, 153:1812–1816. CrossRef
- Johnson A, Sudarshan S, Liu J, et al.: Feasibility and outcomes of repeat partial nephrectomy. J Urol 2008, 180:89–93; discussion 93.
- Pasticier G, Timsit MO, Badet L, et al.: Nephron-sparing surgery for renal cell carcinoma: detailed analysis of complications over a 15-year period. Eur Urol 2006, 49:485–490. CrossRef
- Ray ER, Turney BW, Singh R, et al.: Open partial nephrectomy: outcomes from two UK centres. BJU Int 2006, 97:1211–1215. CrossRef
- Magera JS Jr, Frank I, Lohse CM, et al.: Analysis of repeat nephron sparing surgery as a treatment option in patients with a solid mass in a renal remnant. J Urol 2008, 179:853–856. CrossRef
- United States Renal Data System: Annual data report 2009. Available at http://www.usrds.org/adr.htm. Accessed October 2009.
- Liu N, Khurana K, Sundarshan S, et al.: Surgical, functional, and oncologic outcomes of repeat partial nephrectomy on a solitary kidney. Presented at the 9th Annual Meeting of the Society of Urologic Oncology. Bethesda, MD; December 4–5, 2008.
- Bratslavsky G, Liu JJ, Johnson AD, et al.: Salvage partial nephrectomy for hereditary renal cancer: feasibility and outcomes. J Urol 2008, 179:67–70. CrossRef
- Nguyen CT, Lane BR, Kaouk JH, et al.: Surgical salvage of renal cell carcinoma recurrence after thermal ablative therapy. J Urol 2008, 180:104–109; discussion 109.
- Kowalczyk KJ, Hooper HB, Linehan WM, et al.: Partial nephrectomy after previous radio frequency ablation: the National Cancer Institute Experience. J Urol 2009, 182:2158–2163. CrossRef
- Walther MM, Choyke PL, Glenn G, et al.: Renal cancer in families with hereditary renal cancer: prospective analysis of a tumor size threshold for renal parenchymal sparing surgery. J Urol 1999, 161:1475–1479. CrossRef
- Duffey BG, Choyke PL, Glenn G, et al.: The relationship between renal tumor size and metastases in patients with von Hippel-Lindau disease. J Urol 2004, 172:63–65. CrossRef
- • Kutikov A, Uzzo RG: The R.E.N.A.L. nephrometry score: a comprehensive standardized system for quantitating renal tumor size, location and depth. J Urol 2009, 182:844–853. This article discusses a novel metric for measuring the anatomic complexity of a renal mass.
- Boris R, Proano M, Linehan WM, et al.: Initial experience with robot assisted partial nephrectomy for multiple renal masses. J Urol 2009, 182:1280–1286. CrossRef
- National Cancer Institute: National Cancer Institute search for clinical trials. Available at http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/. Accessed October 2009.
- Herring JC, Enquist EG, Chernoff A, et al.: Parenchymal sparing surgery in patients with hereditary renal cell carcinoma: 10-year experience. J Urol 2001, 165:777–781. CrossRef
- Ghavamian R, Cheville JC, Lohse CM, et al.: Renal cell carcinoma in the solitary kidney: an analysis of complications and outcome after nephron sparing surgery. J Urol 2002, 168:454–459. CrossRef
- Saranchuk JW, Touijer AK, Hakimian P, et al.: Partial nephrectomy for patients with a solitary kidney: the Memorial Sloan-Kettering experience. BJU Int 2004, 94:1323–1328. CrossRef
- Fergany AF, Saad IR, Woo L, Novick AC: Open partial nephrectomy for tumor in a solitary kidney: experience with 400 cases. J Urol 2006, 175:1630–1633; discussion 1633.
- Jacobsohn KM, Ahrar K, Wood CG, Matin SF: Is radiofrequency ablation safe for solitary kidneys? Urology 2007, 69:819–823; discussion 823.
- Lane BR, Novick AC, Babineau D, et al.: Comparison of laparoscopic and open partial nephrectomy for tumor in a solitary kidney. J Urol 2008, 179:847–851; discussion 852.
About this Article
- Management of Locally Recurrent Kidney Cancer
Current Urology Reports
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 15-21
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Kidney cancer
- Recurrent kidney cancer
- Multifocal kidney cancer
- Partial nephrectomy
- Repeat renal surgery
- Salvage partial nephrectomy
- Industry Sectors