Phalloplasty and penile implant surgery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Impotence is often accompanied by loss of phallic length. To enhance penile prosthesis surgery, it is possible to perform simple adjuvant procedures that will increase perceived or true length. This article presents an overview of these techniques, which may be categorized as involving removal or fixation of tissue above or below the shaft of the penis; division of the suspensory ligament; and augmentation of the corpora cavernosa through stretch or grafting. We believe that the use of these techniques will become increasingly commonplace as patient satisfaction is reported.
- Munding MD, Wessells HB, Dalkin BL: Pilot study of changes in stretched penile length 3 months after radical retropubic prostatectomy. Urology 2001, 58:567–569. CrossRef
- Savoie M, Kim SS, Soloway MS: A prospective study measuring penile length in men treated with radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. J Urol 2003, 169:1462–1464. CrossRef
- Gontero P, Galzerano M, Bartoletti R, et al.: New insights into the pathogenesis of penile shortening after radical prostatectomy and the role of postoperative sexual function. J Urol 2007, 178:602–607. CrossRef
- Mulhall JP: Penile length changes after radical prostatectomy. BJU Int 2005, 96:472–474. CrossRef
- Haliloglu A, Baltaci S, Yaman O: Penile length changes in men treated with androgen suppression plus radiation therapy for local or locally advanced prostate cancer. J Urol 2007, 177:128–130. CrossRef
- Warren AG, Peled ZM, Borud LJ: Surgical correction of a buried penis focusing on the mons as an anatomic unit. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2009, 62:388–392. CrossRef
- Alter GJ, Ehrlich RM: A new technique for correction of the hidden penis in children and adults. J Urol 1999, 161:455–459. CrossRef
- Li CY, Kayes O, Kell PD, et al.: Penile suspensory ligament division for penile augmentation: indications and results. Eur Urol 2006, 49:729–733. CrossRef
- Horton CE, Vorstman B, Teasley D, et al.: Hidden penis release: adjunctive suprapubic lipectomy. Ann Plast Surg 1987, 19:131–134. CrossRef
- Adham MN, Teimourian B, Mosca P: Buried penis release in adults with suction lipectomy and abdominoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000, 106:840–844. CrossRef
- Alter GJ: Penile enlargement surgery. Tech Urol 1998, 4:70–76.
- Borges F, Hakim L, Kline C: Surgical technique to maintain penile length after insertion of an inflatable penile prosthesis via infrapubic approach. J Sex Med 2006, 3:550–553. CrossRef
- Austoni E, Guarneri A, Cazzaniga A: A new technique for augmentation phalloplasty: albugineal surgery with bilateral saphenous grafts-three years of experience. Eur Urol 2002, 42:245–253. CrossRef
- Colombo F, Casarico A: Penile enlargement. Curr Opin Urol 2008, 18:583–588. CrossRef
- Lue TF, El-Sakka AI: Lengthening shortened penis caused by Peyronie’s disease using circular venous grafting and daily stretching with a vacuum erection device. J Urol 1999, 161:1141–1144. CrossRef
- Wilson SK, Delk JR 2nd, Mulcahy JJ, et al.: Upsizing of inflatable penile implant cylinders in patients with corporal fibrosis. J Sex Med 2006, 3:736–742. CrossRef
- Perlmutter AD, Chamberlain JW: Webbed penis without chordee. J Urol 1972, 107:320–321.
- Masih BK, Brosman SA: Webbed penis. J Urol 1974, 111:690–692.
- Miranda-Sousa A, Keating M, Moreira S, et al.: Concomitant ventral phalloplasty during penile implant surgery: a novel procedure that optimizes patient satisfaction and their perception of phallic length after penile implant surgery. J Sex Med 2007, 4:1494–1499. CrossRef
- Caso J, Keating M, Miranda-Sousa A, et al.: Ventral phalloplasty. Asian J Androl 2008, 10:155–157. CrossRef
- Phalloplasty and penile implant surgery
Current Urology Reports
Volume 10, Issue 6 , pp 475-477
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links