Theories of prostatitis etiology
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Prostatitis reflects a broad spectrum of prostatic infections, both acute and chronic. Chronic prostatitis, known as National Institutes of Health category III or chronic pelvic pain syndrome, broadly defines a disease that is still poorly understood, and as a consequence, difficult to treat. Typical symptoms include pelvic pain and voiding dysfunction. Infection is often cited as the cause of this condition, despite frequent negative cultures. A close look at the local prostatic microenvironment may yield clues. The role of inflammatory mediators and what stimulates them can point to potential sites of prevention. A genetic link or relationship to other diseases may prove to be part of the cause. Furthermore, a neurologic source, whether anatomic or psychologic, has been strongly debated. Ultimately, it may become clear that chronic prostatitis represents the final common result of a disease that originates from a cascade of multiple stimuli.
- de la Rosette JJ, Hubregtse MR, Meuleman EJ, et al.: Diagnosis and treatment of 409 patients with prostatitis syndromes. Urology 1993, 41:301–307. CrossRef
- Nickel CJ: Prostatitis syndromes: an update for urologic practice. Can J Urol 2000, 7:1091–1098. This paper presents an excellent overview of prostatitis syndromes, and also proposes a unifying theory of prostatitis etiology.
- Relman DA, Schmidt TM, MacDermott RP, Falkow S: Identification of the uncultured bacillus of Whipple’s disease. N Engl J Med 1992, 327:293–301. CrossRef
- Shoskes D, Mazurick C, Landis R, et al.: Bacterial cultures of urine, prostatic fluid and semen of men with chronic pelvic pain syndrome: role of culture for 2 vs 5 days. J Urol 2000, 163(Suppl):24. CrossRef
- Mehik A, Hellstrom P, Lukkarinen O, et al.: Epidemiology of prostatitis in Finnish men: a population-based crosssectional study. BJU Int 2000, 86:443–448. CrossRef
- Jarvi K, Wang W, Korithoski B, et al.: Identification of unusual bacteria in the semen and urine of men with NIH type III prostatitis. J Urol 2001, 165(Suppl):27. CrossRef
- Shoskes DA, Shahed AR: Detection of bacterial signal by 16S rRNA polymerase chain reaction in expressed prostatic secretions predicts response to antibiotic therapy in men with chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Tech Urol 2000, 6:240–242.
- Hochreiter WW, Duncan JL, Schaeffer AJ: Evaluation of the bacterial flora of the prostate using a 16S rRNA gene based polymerase chain reaction. J Urol 2000, 163:127–130. CrossRef
- Keay S, Zhang CO, Baldwin BR, Alexander RB: Polymerase chain reaction amplification of bacterial 16s rRNA genes in prostate biopsies from men without chronic prostatitis. Urology 1999, 53:487–491. CrossRef
- Krieger JN, Riley DE, Vesella RL, et al.: Bacterial DNA sequences in prostate tissue from patients with prostate cancer and chronic prostatitis. J Urol 2000, 164:1221–1228. This study examines a large number of prostate biopsies from men with CPPS and compares the bacteria found on PCR with specimens obtained from radical prostatectomy. Bacteria was demonstrated at two times the incidence in men with CPPS, when compared with control patients. The discussion includes excellent editorial comments and an overview of the debate of the relationship between infection and the symptoms of chronic prostatitis. CrossRef
- Paulsson M, Ljungh A, Wadstrom T: Rapid identification of fibronectin, vitronectin, laminin, and collagen cell surface binding proteins on coagulase-negative staphylococci by particle agglutination assays. J Clin Microbiol 1992, 30:2006–2012.
- Kloos WE, Bannerman TL: Update on clinical significance of coagulase-negative staphylococci. Clin Microbiol Rev 1994, 7:117–140.
- Choong S, Whitfield H: Biofilms and their role in infections in urology. BJU Int 2000, 86:935–941. CrossRef
- Nickel JC, Costerton JW: Coagulase-negative staphylococcus in chronic prostatitis. J Urol 1992, 147:398–400.
- Hochreiter WW, Nadler RB, Koch AE, et al.: Evaluation of the cytokines interleukin 8 and epithelial neutrophil activating peptide 78 as indicators of inflammation in prostatic secretions. Urology 2000, 56:1025–1029. CrossRef
- Nadler RB, Koch AE, Calhoun EA, et al.: IL-1beta and TNFalpha in prostatic secretions are indicators in the evaluation of men with chronic prostatitis. J Urol 2000, 164:214–218. CrossRef
- Alexander RB, Ponniah S, Hasday J, Hebel JR: Elevated levels of proinflammatory cytokines in the semen of patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Urology 1998, 52:744–749. CrossRef
- Shahed AR, Shoskes DA: Oxidative stress in prostatic fluid of patients with chronic pelvic pain syndrome: correlation with gram-positive bacterial growth and treatment response. J Androl 2000, 21:669–675.
- Pasqualotto FF, Sharma RK, Potts JM, et al.: Seminal oxidative stress in patients with chronic prostatitis. Urology 2000, 55:881–885. CrossRef
- Lang MD, Nickel JC, Olson ME, et al.: Rat model of experimentally induced abacterial prostatitis. Prostate 2000, 45:201–206. CrossRef
- Ponniah S, Arah I, Alexander RB: PSA is a candidate self-antigen in autoimmune chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Prostate 2000, 44:49–54. CrossRef
- Morón G, Maletto B, Ropolo A, et al.: Changes in the development of experimental autoimmune prostatitis (EAP) by castration in aged rats. Dev Comp Immunol 2000, 24:673–682. CrossRef
- Leskinen M, Lukkarinen O, Marttila T: Effects of finasteride in patients with inflammatory chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot study. Urology 1999, 53:502–505. CrossRef
- Harris MT, Feldberg RS, Lau KM, et al.: Expression of proinflammatory genes during estrogen-induced inflammation of the rat prostate. Prostate 2000, 44:19–25. CrossRef
- Robinette CL: Sex-hormone-induced inflammation and fibromuscular proliferation in the rat lateral prostate. Prostate 1988, 12:271–286. CrossRef
- Naslund MJ, Strandberg JD, Coffey DS: The role of androgens and estrogens in the pathogenesis of experimental nonbacterial prostatitis. J Urol 1988, 140:1049–1053.
- Kwon SM, Kim SI, Chun DC, et al.: Development of rat prostatitis model by oral administration of isoflavone and its characteristics. Yonsei Med J 2001, 42:395–404.
- Holt S: Soya for Health: The Definitive Medical Guide, edn 1. Larchmont, NY: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc; 1996.
- Evans BA, Griffiths K, Morton MS: Inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase in genital skin fibroblasts and prostate tissue by dietary lignans and isoflavonoids. J Endocrinol 1995, 147:295–302.
- Krieger JN, Riley DE: Short tandem repeat sequences in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. J Urol 2001, 165(Suppl):27. CrossRef
- Vlaskovska M, Hertting G, Knepel W: Adrenocorticotropin and beta-endorphin release from rat adenohypophysis in vitro: inhibition by prostaglandin E2 formed locally in response to vasopressin and corticotropin-releasing factor. Endocrinology 1984, 115:895–903. CrossRef
- Shahed AR, Shoskes DA: Correlation of beta-endorphin and prostaglandin E2 levels in prostatic fluid of patients with chronic prostatitis with diagnosis and treatment response. J Urol 2001, 166:1738–1741. This paper proposes a mechanism for inflammation-induced pain on the local level. CrossRef
- Mehik A, Hellstrom P, Lukkarinen O, et al.: Prostatic tissue pressure measurement as a possible diagnostic procedure in patients with chronic nonbacterial prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Urol Res 2000, 28:316–318. CrossRef
- Cho IR, Keener TS, Nghiem HV, et al.: Prostate blood flow characteristics in the chronic prostatitis/pelvic pain syndrome. J Urol 2000, 163:1130–1133. CrossRef
- Potts JM: The four categories of prostatitis: a practical approach to treatment. Cleve Clin J Med 2001, 68:389–394. CrossRef
- Clemens JQ, Nadler RB, Schaeffer AJ, et al.: Biofeedback, pelvic floor re-education, and bladder training for male chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Urology 2000, 56:951–955. CrossRef
- Antolak, S: Category III prostatitis: changing the paradigm. The role of pudendal nerve entrapment. Accessible online at www.prostatitis.org/antolakpudendal.html.
- Shafik A: Re: alpha-blockers for the treatment of chronic prostatitis in combination with antibiotics. J Urol 1999, 161:230–231. CrossRef
- Ness TJ: Chronic urologic pain syndromes. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2001, 5:27–34. CrossRef
- Keith IM, Jin J, Neal D, Jr, et al.: Cell relationship in a Wistar rat model of spontaneous prostatitis. J Urol 2001, 166:323–328. CrossRef
- Foreman JC: Peptides and neurogenic inflammation. Br Med Bull 1987, 43:386–400.
- Ishigooka M, Zermann DH, Doggweiler R, et al.: Similarity of distributions of spinal c-Fos and plasma extravasation after acute chemical irritation of the bladder and the prostate. J Urol 2000, 164:1751–1756. This paper gives experimental evidence confirming the theory that CNS activation produces efferent neurogenic inflammation. CrossRef
- Zermann DH, Ishigooka M, Doggweiler R, Schmidt RA: Neurourological insights into the etiology of genitourinary pain in men. J Urol 1999, 161:903–908. This paper provides evidence for a neurourologic dysfunction found in men with chronic prostatitis, and also provides an excellent discussion on neurogenic inflammation and the possible contribution to CPPS. CrossRef
- Siegel S, Paskiewicz E, Kirkpatrick C, et al.: Sacral nerve stimulation in patients with chronic intractable pelvic pain. J Urol 2001, 166:1742–1745. CrossRef
- Mehik A, Hellstrom P, Sarpola A, et al.: Fears, sexual disturbances and personality features in men with prostatitis: a population-based cross-sectional study in Finland. BJU Int 2001, 88:35–38. A population-based study from Finland that examines the link between psychologic problems as either the cause or result of chronic prostatitis. CrossRef
- Ku JH, Kim ME, Lee NK, Park YH: Influence of environmental factors on chronic prostatitis-like symptoms in young men: results of a community-based survey. Urology 2001, 58:853–858. CrossRef
- McNaughton Collins M, Pontari MA, O’Leary MP, et al.: Quality of life in men with chronic prostatitis. J Gen Intern Med 2001, 16:656–662. CrossRef
- Potts JM, Moritz N, Everson D, et al.: Chronic abacterial prostatitis: a functional somatic syndrome? J Urol 2001, 165(Suppl):25.
- Alighiri M, Chottinger S, Ratner V, et al.: Interstitial cystitis: unexplained associations with other chronic disease and pain syndromes. Urology 1997, 49(Suppl 5A):52–57. CrossRef
- Theories of prostatitis etiology
Current Urology Reports
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 307-312
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links