Curing erectile dysfunction: Con
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several reports have suggested that erectile dysfunction can be cured through a variety of interventions. At best, some of the results are intriguing and suggest that further study in this area is warranted. Unfortunately, these studies have a multitude of methodologic problems and are not convincing in their conclusions. At the present time, although the concept of curing erectile dysfunction is appealing, we have fallen well short of achieving that goal.
- Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzichristou DG, et al.: Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. J Urol 1994, 151:54–61.
- Braun MH, Sommer F, Haupt G, et al.: Lower urinary tract symptoms and erectile dysfunction: co-morbidity or typical “Aging Male” symptoms? Results of the Cologne Male Survey. Eur Urol 2003, 44:588–594. CrossRef
- Laumann EO, Paik A, Rosen RC: Sexual dysfunction in the United States: prevalence and predictors. JAMA 1999, 281:537–544. CrossRef
- Tan HL: Economic cost of male erectile dysfunction using a decision analytic model: for a hypothetical managed-care plan of 100,000 members. Pharmacoeconomics 2000, 17:77–107. CrossRef
- Montorsi F, Guazzoni G, Strambi LF, et al.: Recovery of spontaneous erectile function after nerve-sparing radical retropubic prostatectomy with and without early intracavernous injections of alprostadil: results of a prospective, randomized trial. J Urol 1997, 158:1408–1410. CrossRef
- Padma-Nathan H, McCullough AR, Giuliano F, et al.: Postoperative nightly administration of sildenafil citrate significantly improves the return of normal spontaneous erectile function after bilateral nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy. J Urol 2003, 168(Suppl 4):375–376.
- Claes H, Baert L: Pelvic floor exercise versus surgery in the treatment of impotence. Br J Urol 1993, 71:52–57. CrossRef
- Dorey G: Conservative treatment of erectile dysfunction. 3: literature review. Br J Nurs 2000, 9:859–863.
- Sommer F, Raible A, Bondarenko B, et al.: A conservative treatment option of curing venous leakage in impotent men. Eur Urol Suppl 2002, 1:153. CrossRef
- Lewis RW: Venous surgery for impotence. Urol Clin North Am 1988, 15:115–121.
- Imagawa A, Kawanishi Y, Tamura M: Intracavernous injection therapy in recovery of spontaneous erection (not for selfinjection)-its mechanism and indications. Hinyokika Kiyo 1989, 35:1145–1148.
- Beretta G, Marzotto M, Zanollo A: Office treatment: intracavernous injections of prostaglandin E1 (PG E1) and improvement of spontaneous erections. Acta Eur Fertil 1991, 22:221–223.
- Thiounn N, Flam T, Zerbib M, Debre B: [Does prostaglandin El (PGE1) help restoration of spontaneous erections?] [French]. J Urol 1993, 99:136–138.
- Marshall GA, Breza J, Lue TF: Improved hemodynamic response after long-term intracavernous injection for impotence. Urology 43:844–848.
- Brock G, Tu LM, Linet OI: Return of spontaneous erection during long-term intracavernosal alprostadil (Caverject) treatment. Urology 2001, 57:536–541. CrossRef
- Sharlip ID: Does natural erectile function improve following intracavernous injections of vasoactive drugs? Int J Impot Res 1997, 9:193–196. CrossRef
- Sommer F, Engelmann UH: What are the long term effects on erectile function of taking sildenafil on a daily basis [abstract]? J Urol 2004, 171(Suppl 4):239.
- Guay AT, Perez JB, Jacobson J, Newton RA: Efficacy and safety of sildenafil citrate for treatment of erectile dysfunction in a population with associated organic risk factors. J Androl 2001, 22:793–797.
- Saltzman EA, Guay AT, Jacobson J: Improvement in erectile function in men with organic erectile dysfunction by correction of elevated cholesterol levels: a clinical observation. J Urol 2004, 172:255–258. CrossRef
- Esposito K, Giugliano F, Di Palo C, et al.: Effect of lifestyle changes on erectile dysfunction in obese men: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004, 291:2978–2984. CrossRef
- Montorsi P, Ravagnani PM, Galli S, et al.: Common grounds for erectile dysfunction and coronary artery disease. Curr Opin Urol 2004, 14:361–365. CrossRef
- Airey M, Bennett C, Nicolucci A, Williams R: Aldose reductase inhibitors for the prevention and treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Cochran Database Syst Rev 2000, 2:CD002182.
- Nissen SE, Tuzcu EM, Schoenhagen P, et al.: Statin therapy, LDL cholesterol, C-reactive protein, and coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 2005, 352:29–38. CrossRef
- Bivalacqua TJ, Usta MF, Champion HC, et al.: Gene transfer of endothelial nitric oxide synthase partially restores nitric oxide synthesis and erectile function in streptozotocin diabetic rats. J Uro 2003, 169:1911–1917. CrossRef
- Curing erectile dysfunction: Con
Current Sexual Health Reports
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 51-53
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links