Use of Rituximab in the Antiphospholipid Syndrome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
B cells are promising targets for treatment in autoimmune diseases. Rituximab, a chimeric anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody that depletes B cells, is approved for use in rheumatoid arthritis and is often used to treat refractory autoimmune thrombocytopenia. There is increasing interest in using rituximab in other autoimmune diseases, including the antiphospholipid syndrome. We reviewed the published clinical experience of rituximab use in patients with the antiphospholipid syndrome. Data are limited to case reports and small case series. In 19 of 21 reported cases, rituximab appeared to have a beneficial clinical effect. Antiphospholipid antibodies levels were significantly decreased in ten of 12 cases. Controlled clinical trials are needed to determine if rituximab is effective in the antiphospholipid syndrome.
- Bucciarelli, S, Erkan, D, Espinosa, G, Cervera, R (2009) Catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome: treatment, prognosis, and the risk of relapse. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 36: pp. 80-84 CrossRef
- Pierangeli, SS, Chen, PP, Raschi, E (2008) Antiphospholipid antibodies and the antiphospholipid syndrome: pathogenic mechanisms. Semin Thromb Hemost 34: pp. 236-250 CrossRef
- Reff, ME, Carner, K, Chambers, KS (1994) Depletion of B cells in vivo by a chimeric mouse human monoclonal antibody to CD20. Blood 83: pp. 435-445
- Eisenberg, R, Looney, RJ (2005) The therapeutic potential of anti-CD20 “what do B-cells do?”. Clin Immunol 117: pp. 207-213 CrossRef
- Anandacoomarasamy, A, Gibson, J, McGill, N (2006) “Cure” of life-threatening antiphospholipid syndrome with rituximab. Intern Med J 36: pp. 474-475 CrossRef
- Asherson, RA, Espinosa, G, Menahem, S (2008) Relapsing catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome: report of three cases. Semin Arthritis Rheum 37: pp. 366-372 CrossRef
- Lu, TY, Ng, KP, Cambridge, G (2009) A retrospective 7-year analysis of the use of B cell depletion therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus at University College London Hospital: the first fifty patients. Arthritis Rheum 61: pp. 482-487 CrossRef
- Melander, C, Sallee, M, Trolliet, P (2009) Rituximab in severe lupus nephritis: early B-cell depletion affects long-term renal outcome. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4: pp. 579-587 CrossRef
- Lindholm, C, Borjesson-Asp, K, Zendjanchi, K (2008) Longterm clinical and immunological effects of anti-CD20 treatment in patients with refractory systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol 35: pp. 826-833
- Furie R, Looney RJ, Bovin B, et al.: Efficacy and safety of rituximab in subjects with active proliferative lupus nephritis (LN): results from the randomized, double-blind phase III LUNAR study [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2009, 60.
- Merrill JT, Buyon JP, Furie R, et al.: Flare assessment in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients treated with rituximab in the phase II/II EXPLORER trial [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2009, 60.
- • Coca A, Sanz I: B cell depletion in lupus and Sjogren’s syndrome: an update. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2009, 21:483–488. This article provides an up-to-date review of B cell depletion therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus and Sjögren’s syndrome, including a discussion of recent randomized controlled trials.
- Tomietto, P, Gremese, E, Tolusso, B (2004) B cell depletion may lead to normalization of anti-platelet, anti-erythrocyte and antiphospholipid antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Thromb Haemost 92: pp. 1150-1153
- Rubenstein, E, Arkfeld, DG, Metyas, S (2006) Rituximab treatment for resistant antiphospholipid syndrome. J Rheumatol 33: pp. 355-357
- Erdozain JG, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Egurbide MV, Aguirre C: Sustained response to rituximab of autoimmune hemolytic anemia associated with antiphospholipid syndrome. Haematologica 2004, 89:ECR34.
- Trappe, R, Loew, A, Thuss-Patience, P (2006) Successful treatment of thrombocytopenia in primary antiphospholipid antibody syndrome with the anti-CD20 antibody rituximab—monitoring of antiphospholipid and anti-GP antibodies: a case report. Ann Hematol 85: pp. 134-135 CrossRef
- Arnold, DM, Dentali, F, Crowther, MA (2007) Systematic review: efficacy and safety of rituximab for adults with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Ann Intern Med 146: pp. 25-33
- Ioannou, Y, Lambrianides, A, Cambridge, G (2008) B cell depletion therapy for patients with systemic lupus erythematosus results in a significant drop in anticardiolipin antibody titres. Ann Rheum Dis 67: pp. 425-426 CrossRef
- ClinicalTrials.gov: A pilot study of rituximab for the anticoagulation resistant manifestations of antiphospholipid syndrome (RITAPS). Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00537290. Accessed on December 4, 2009.
- Ahn, ER, Lander, G, Bidot, CJ (2005) Long-term remission from life-threatening hypercoagulable state associated with lupus anticoagulant (LA) following rituximab therapy. Am J Hematol 78: pp. 127-129 CrossRef
- Harner, KC, Jackson, LW, Drabick, JJ (2004) Normalization of anticardiolipin antibodies following rituximab therapy for marginal zone lymphoma in a patient with Sjogren’s syndrome. Rheumatology (Oxford) 43: pp. 1309-1310 CrossRef
- Weide, R, Heymanns, J, Pandorf, A, Koppler, H (2003) Successful long-term treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus with rituximab maintenance therapy. Lupus 12: pp. 779-782 CrossRef
- Binstadt BA, Caldas AM, Turvey SE, et al.: Rituximab therapy for multisystem autoimmune diseases in pediatric patients. J Pediatr 2003, 143:598–604. (Published erratum appears in J Pediatr 2004, 144:558.)
- Veneri D, Ambrosetti A, Franchini M, et al.: Remission of severe antiphospholipid syndrome associated with non-Hodgkin’s B-cell lymphoma after combined treatment with rituximab and chemotherapy. Haematologica 2005, 90:ECR37.
- Ames, PR, Tommasino, C, Fossati, G (2007) Limited effect of rituximab on thrombocytopaenia and anticardiolipin antibodies in a patient with primary antiphospholipid syndrome. Ann Hematol 86: pp. 227-228 CrossRef
- Chalam, KV, Gupta, SK, Agarwal, S (2007) Rituximab effectively reverses papilledema associated with cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Eur J Ophthalmol 17: pp. 867-870
- Ruckert, A, Glimm, H, Lubbert, M, Grullich, C (2008) Successful treatment of life-threatening Evans syndrome due to antiphospholipid antibody syndrome by rituximab-based regimen: a case with long-term follow-up. Lupus 17: pp. 757-760 CrossRef
- Wissen, S, Bastiaansen, BA, Stroobants, AK (2008) Catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome mimicking a malignant pancreatic tumour—a case report. Lupus 17: pp. 586-590 CrossRef
- Manner, H, Jung, B, Tonassi, L (2008) Successful treatment of catastrophic antiphospholipid antibody syndrome (CAPS) associated with splenic marginal-zone lymphoma with low-molecular weight heparin, rituximab and bendamustine. Am J Med Sci 335: pp. 394-397 CrossRef
- Adamson, R, Sangle, S, Kaul, A (2008) Clinical improvement in antiphospholipid syndrome after rituximab therapy. J Clin Rheumatol 14: pp. 359-360 CrossRef
- • Erre GL, Pardini S, Faedda R, Passiu G: Effect of rituximab on clinical and laboratory features of antiphospholipid syndrome: a case report and a review of literature. Lupus 2008, 17:50–55. This case report includes a very good summary of previously published cases of rituximab use in APS.
- Use of Rituximab in the Antiphospholipid Syndrome
Current Rheumatology Reports
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 40-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Lupus anticoagulant
- B cells
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine and Thurston Arthritis Research Center, Division of Rheumatology, Allergy, and Immunology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB #7280, Room 3330, Thurston Building, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599, USA