Combined Antidepressant Strategies Are Not More Effective Than Vigorous Escitalopram Monotherapy: Results of the CO-MED Study
- Michael E. Thase
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Trial: Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Stewart JW, et al.: Combining Medications to Enhance Depression Outcomes (CO-MED): acute and long-term outcomes of a single-blind randomized study. Am J Psychiatry 2011; 168:689–701.
Rating: ••Of major importance.
Keywords: Major depressive disorder . MDD . Depression .Randomized controlled trial . RCT . Antidepressants .Combination therapy . Monotherapy . Escitalopram . Bupropion . Venlafaxine . Mirtazapine . STAR*D . Depression Treatment Network
Introduction: Although many effective medications for depression are available, no treatment is likely to be effective for more than 50% to 60% of the depressed patients who begin therapy with that medication. For example, in the report summarizing outcomes from the first level of the Sequenced Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression (STAR*D) study, which evaluated outcomes of more than 2,700 outpatients with major depressive disorder drawn from a nationally representative network of participating primary care an ...
- Trivedi, MH, Rush, AJ, Wisniewski, SR, Nierenberg, AA, Warden, D, Ritz, L (2006) STAR*D Study Team. Evaluation of outcomes with citalopram for depression using measurement-based care in STAR*D: implications for clinical practice. Am J Psychiatr 163: pp. 28-40 CrossRef
- Kennedy, SH, Young, AH, Blier, P (2011) Strategies to achieve clinical effectiveness: refining existing therapies and pursuing emerging targets. J Affect Disord 132: pp. S21-S28 CrossRef
- Thase, ME (2011) Antidepressant combinations: widely used, but far from empirically validated. Can J Psychiatr 56: pp. 317-323
- Blier, P, Gobbi, G, Turcotte, JE, Montigny, C, Boucher, N, Hébert, C (2009) Mirtazapine and paroxetine in major depression: a comparison of monotherapy versus their combination from treatment initiation. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 19: pp. 457-465 CrossRef
- Blier, P, Ward, HE, Tremblay, P, Laberge, L, Hébert, C, Bergeron, R (2010) Combination of antidepressant medications from treatment initiation for major depressive disorder: a double-blind randomized study. Am J Psychiatr 167: pp. 281-288 CrossRef
- Coryell, W (2011) The search for improved antidepressant strategies: is bigger better?. Am J Psychiatr 168: pp. 664-666 CrossRef
- Nelson, JC, Mazure, CM, Jatlow, PI, Bowers, MB, Price, LH (2004) Combining norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake inhibition mechanisms for treatment of depression: a double-blind, randomized study. Biol Psychiatr 55: pp. 296-300 CrossRef
- Thase, ME (2006) Managing depressive and anxiety disorders with escitalopram. Expert Opin Pharmacother 7: pp. 429-440 CrossRef
- Nelson, JC, Papakostas, GI (2009) Atypical antipsychotic augmentation in major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of placebo-controlled randomized trials. Am J Psychiatr 166: pp. 980-991 CrossRef
- Combined Antidepressant Strategies Are Not More Effective Than Vigorous Escitalopram Monotherapy: Results of the CO-MED Study
Current Psychiatry Reports
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 434-436
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Michael E. Thase (1) (2) (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 2. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 3. Perelman School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania, 3535 Market Street, Suite 670, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA