Aripiprazole to Treat Irritability Associated With Autism: A Placebo-Controlled, Fixed-Dose Trial
- Tami D. Benton
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Trial: Marcus RN, Owen R, Kamen L, et al.: A placebo-controlled, fixed-dose study of aripiprazole in children and adolescents with irritability associated with autistic disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2009, 48:1110–1119.
Rating: •Of importance.
Introduction: Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are neurodevelopmental disorders characterized by qualitative impairments in areas of social interaction and communication, and restrictive, repetitive behaviors . Symptoms typically present prior to 3 years of age and are chronic and impairing. ASDs are not uncommon, with prevalence estimates suggesting rates as high as 2.2 for every 1,000 children . However, early identification and intervention can significantly improve outcomes . In addition to the developmental deficits present with these disorders, serious behavioral disturbances have been associated with ASDs, with irritability being reported in as many as 20% of children affected . Irritability, frequently demonstrated ...
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, edn 4. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
- Chakrabarti S, Fombonne E: Pervasive developmental disorders in preschool children: confirmation of high prevalence. Am J Psychiatry 2005, 162:1133–1141. CrossRef
- Volkmar F, Cook E Jr, Pomeroy J, et al.: Summary of the practice parameters for the assessment and treatment of children, adolescents and adults with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1999, 38:1611–1616. CrossRef
- Lecavalier L: Behavioral and emotional problems in young people with pervasive developmental disorders: relative prevalence, effects of subject characteristics and empirical classification. J Autism Dev Disord 2006, 36:1101–1114. CrossRef
- Myers SM, Johnson CP: Management of children with autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics 2007, 120:1162–1182. CrossRef
- Research Units on Pediatric Psychopharmacology Autism Network: Risperidone in children with autism and serious behavioral problems. N Engl J Med 2002, 347:314–321. CrossRef
- Shea S, Turgay A, Carrol A, et al.: Risperidone in the treatment of disruptive behavioral symptoms in children with autistic and other pervasive developmental disorders. Pediatrics 2004, 114:e634-e641. CrossRef
- Valecenti-McDermott MR, Demb H: Clinical effects and adverse reactions of off-label use of aripiprazole in children and adolescents with developmental disabilities. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2006, 16:549–560. CrossRef
- Stigler KA, Posey DJ, McDougle CJ: Aripiprazole for maladaptive behavior in pervasive developmental disorders. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2004, 14:455–463. CrossRef
- Owen R, Sikich L, Marcus RN, et al.: Aripiprazole in the treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autistic disorders. Pediatrics 2009, 124:1533–1540. CrossRef
- Aripiprazole to Treat Irritability Associated With Autism: A Placebo-Controlled, Fixed-Dose Trial
Current Psychiatry Reports
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 77-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Tami D. Benton (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine/The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, The Behavioral Health Center, Suite 400, 3440 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA