The impact of the new sexual pharmaceuticals on sex therapy
- Michael A. Perelman PhD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Since the March 27, 1998 introduction of sildenafil, opportunities for sex therapists have expanded, primarily in three ways: 1) public education, 2) colleague education, and 3) treatment. Primary care physicians and urologists learned that incorporating sex therapy techniques improved the effectiveness of sildenafil; furthermore, sex therapists discovered that integrating adjunctive use of sildenafil with sex therapy accelerated the therapy process and improved outcome. As new pharmaceuticals are developed and approved for men and women, opportunities for medical and nonmedical sex therapists will only increase. In fact, sex therapists are playing an increasingly important consultative role to industry in the research and development of new sexual pharmaceuticals. However, optimism for nonphysician sex therapists is tempered by recognition of the continuing trend toward medicalization of sexual dysfunction.
- Tiefer L: In pursuit of the perfect penis: the medicalization of male sexuality. Am Behav Sci 1986, 29:579–599. CrossRef
- McCarthy BW: Integrating Viagra into cognitive-behavioral couple’s sex therapy. J Sex Educ Ther 1998, 23:302–308.
- Perelman MA: Integrating Sildenafil: its impact on sex therapy. Sex Dysfunc Med 2000, 1:98–104. Describes the impact of sildenafil on sex therapy.
- Steers WD: Viagra-after one year. Urology 1999, 54:12–17. CrossRef
- Masters WH, Johnson VE: Human Sexual Inadequacy. Boston: Little, Brown & Co.; 1970.
- Scott J: Speaking the unspeakable (no blushing is required). New York Times. June 6, 1998; sect A:15,18.
- Goldstein I, Padma-Nathan H, Rosen R, et al.: The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res 1999, 11:59–74. Algorithm of treatment for ED. CrossRef
- Pfizer. Data on file. April 2001.
- Perelman MA: The urologist and cognitive behavioral sex therapy. Contemp Urol 1994, 6:27–33.
- Altolf SE: New roles for mental health clinicians in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. J Sex Educ Ther 1998, 23:229–231.
- Carson C, Goldstein I, Shabsigh R, et al.: New directions in the diagnosis and management of the patient with erectile dysfunction. Invited Faculty Symposium Monograph. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Urological Association. May, 1998: San Diego, CA.
- Levine SB: The role of psychiatry in erectile dysfunction: a cautionary essay on emerging treatments. Available online at Medscape.com
- Segraves RT: Pharmacological era in the treatment of sexual disorders. J Sex Marital Ther 1998, 24:67–68.
- Plaut MS: Editor’s note: A new look at the biopsychosocial nature of sexuality. J Sex Educ Ther 1998, 23:183.
- Perelman MA: Commentary: Pharmacological agents for erectile dysfunction and the human sexual response cycle. J Sex Marital Ther 1998, 24:309–312.
- Perelman MA: The future is now: a coordinated approach to restoring sexual health. In Cancer and Sexual Function: Beating Both. Contemp Urol 1999, 11:102.
- Segraves RT: Case report: two additional uses for sildenafil in psychiatric patients. J Sex Marital Ther 1999, 25:265–266. CrossRef
- Wise TN: Psychosocial side effects of sildenafil therapy for erectile dysfunction. J Sex Marital Ther 1999, 25:145–150. CrossRef
- Pallos J, Levine SB, Althof SE, et al.: A study using Viagra in a mental health practice. J Sex Marital Ther 2000, 46:41–50. CrossRef
- Zilbergeld B: The New Male Sexuality: Revised Edition. New York: Bantam Books; 1999. Excellent self-help book for men and their partners.
- Milsten R, Slowinski JW: The Sexual Male Problems and Solutions: a complete medical and psychological guide to lifelong potency. New York: WW Norton; 1999.
- Rosen RC, Lane RM, Menza M: Effects of SSRIs on sexual dysfunction: a critical review. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1999, 19:67–85. Summarizes the SD side effects of SSRIs. CrossRef
- Saks BR: A sexually compulsive male with erectile dysfunction treated with Viagra: case report. J Sex Educ Ther 2000, 23:271–274.
- Sadock VA: A sexually compulsive male with erectile dysfunction treated with Viagra: discussion. J Sex Educ Ther 2000, 23:275–277.
- Rosenberg K: Sildenafil. J Sex Marital Ther 1999, 25:271–279. CrossRef
- Nurnberg HG, Lauriello J, Hensley PL, et al.: Sildenafil for women patients with antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction. Psychiatr Serv 1999, 50:1076–1078.
- Nurnberg HG, Lauriello J, Hensley PL, et al.: Sildenafil for iatrogenic serotonergic antidepressant medication-induced sexual dysfunction in 4 patients. J Clin Psychiatry 1999, 60:33–35. CrossRef
- Kaplan HS, Perelman M: The physician and the treatment of sexual dysfunction. In Psychiatry in General Medical Practice. Edited by Usdin G, Lewis J. New York: McGraw Hill; 1979:663–668.
- Heiman JR: Medical advances and human sexuality: introduction and comment. J Sex Res 2000, 37:193–194.
- Tiefer L: Sexology and the pharmaceutical industry: the threat of co-optation. J Sex Res 2001, 37:273–283.
- Winton MA: The medicalization of male sexual dysfunctions: an analysis of sex therapy journals. J Sex Educ Ther 2000, 25:231–237.
- Leiblum SR, Rosen CR: Principles and Practice of Sex Therapy, edn 2. New York: The Guilford Press; 1989.
- Leiblum SR, Rosen CR: Principles and Practice of Sex Therapy, edn 3. New York: The Guilford Press; 2000. Summarizes current sex therapy approaches.
- Bancroft J: Psychogenic erectile dysfunction-a theoretical approach. Int J Impot Res 2000, 12:S46-S48. CrossRef
- Berman LA, Berman JR: Viagra and beyond: where sex educators and therapists fit in from a multidisciplinary perspective. J Sex Educ Ther 2000, 35:17–24.
- Rowland DL, Burnett AL: Pharmacotherapy in the treatment of male sexual dysfunction. J Sex Res 2000, 37:226–243. CrossRef
- Nordheimer J: Some couples may find Viagra a home wrecker. New York Times, May 10, 1998; sect 9:2.
- Goldstein I, Lue TF, Padma-Nathan H, et al.: Oral sildenafil in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. N Engl J Med 1998, 338:1397–1404. CrossRef
- McCullough A: Sildenafil (Viagra) one year later: a retrospective. Sex Dysfunc Med 1999, 1:2–7.
- Perelman, M. Haeberle E: Rehabilitative sex therapy for organic impotence. In Emerging Dimensions of Sexology. New York: Praeger Publications; 1984.
- Perelman MA: FSD partner issues: integrating sildenafil and sex therapy [abstract]. Female Sexual Function Forum: New Perspectives in the Management of Sexual Dysfunction. Boston; October 26–29 2000.
- Perelman M: Integrating sildenafil and sex therapy: unconsummated marriage secondary to erectile dysfunction and retarded ejaculation. J Sex Ther 2001, 26:1–9. This article provides a case report integrating sex therapy and pharmacotherapy.
- Basson R: Clinical trials for FSD. Female Sexual Function Forum: New Perspectives in the Management of Female Sexual Dysfunction. Boston; October 2000.
- Bartlik B: Recent development in the evaluation and treatment of sexual disorders in women. Psychiatr Ann 1999, 29.
- Schifrin JL: Transdermal testosterone treatment in women with impaired sexual function after oophorectomy. N Engl J Med 2000, 343:682–688. CrossRef
- Basson R, Berman J, Burnett A, et al.: Report of the international consensus development conference on female sexual dysfunction: definitions and classifications. J Urol 2000, 163:888–893. New definitions and classifications for FSD. CrossRef
- Segraves RT: Editor’s comments. J Sex Marital Ther 2001, 27:81. CrossRef
- The impact of the new sexual pharmaceuticals on sex therapy
Current Psychiatry Reports
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 195-201
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Department of Psychiatry, 133 East 35th Street, 10032, New York, NY, USA