Urinary tuberculosis: Modern issues
- Gilbert J. Wise
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tuberculosis remains an epidemic that affects one third of the world’s population. The persistence of this disease is caused by a large pool of immunecompromised and lower socioeconomic populations. The advent of rapid transportation and migration has contributed to the persistence of this disease in developed and less developed nations. The emergence of drug-resistant strains has added an additional factor for the pervasiveness of tuberculosis. The genitourinary system is a primary target for hematogenous infections. This article reviews the contemporary issues that affect the diagnosis and treatment of urinary tuberculosis.
- Wise GJ, Shteynshlyuger A: An update on lower urinary tract tuberculosis. Curr Prostate Rep 2007, 5:87–95. CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Trends in tuberculosis: United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2008, 57:281–285.
- Kristof ND: A killer without borders. New York Times (day edition). December 6, 2008:WK11.
- Figueiredo AA, Lucon AM, Junior RF, Srougi M: Epidemiology of urogenital tuberculosis worldwide. Int J Urol 2008, 15:827–832. CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Transplantation-transmitted tuberculosis: Oklahoma and Texas, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2008, 57:333–336.
- George P, Pawar B, Calton N: Tuberculosis in a renal allograft: a successful outcome. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2008, 19:790–792.
- Zhang XF, Lv Y, Xue WJ, et al.: Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in solid organ transplant recipients: experience from a single center in China. Transplant Proc 2008, 40:1382–1385. CrossRef
- Altintepe L, Tonbul HZ, Ozbey I, et al.: Urinary tuberculosis: ten years’ experience. Ren Fail 2005, 27:657–661. CrossRef
- Figueiredo AA, Lucon AM, Júnior RF, et al.: Urogenital tuberculosis in immunocompromised patients. Int Urol Nephrol 2009, 41:327–333. CrossRef
- Fanourgiakis P, Mylona E, Androulakis II, et al.: Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and tuberculosis coexistence in the same organs: a report of two cases. Postgrad Med J 2008, 84:276–277. CrossRef
- Nerli RB, Kamat GV, Alur SB, et al.: Genitourinary tuberculosis in pediatric urological practice. J Pediatr Urol 2008, 4:299–303. CrossRef
- Wolinsky E: Conventional diagnostic methods for tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis 1994, 19:396–401. CrossRef
- Winje BA, Oftung F, Korsvold GE, et al.: Screening for tuberculosis infection among newly arrived asylum seekers: comparison of QuantiFERON TB Gold with tuberculin skin test. BMC Infect Dis 2008, 8:65. CrossRef
- Winthrop KL, Nyendak M, Calvet H, et al.: Interferon-gamma release assays for diagnosing mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in renal dialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008, 3:1357–1363. CrossRef
- Perez S, Andrade M, Bergel P, et al.: A simple algorithm for the diagnosis of AIDS-associated genitourinary tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis 2006, 42:1807–1808. CrossRef
- Magana-Arachchi D, Perera J, Gamage S, Chandrasekharan V: Low cost in-house PCR for the routine diagnosis of extra-pulmonary tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2008, 12:275–280.
- Hemal AK, Gupta NP, Rajeev TP, et al.: Polymerase chain reaction in clinically suspected genitourinary tuberculosis: comparison with intravenous urography, bladder biopsy, and urine acid fast bacilli culture. Urology 2000, 56:570–574. CrossRef
- Yazdani M, Shahidi S, Shirani M: Urinary polymerase chain reaction for diagnosis of urogenital tuberculosis. Urol J 2008, 5:46–49.
- Barber R: Evaluation of the BD ProbeTec ET system for the direct detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from clinical samples. Br J Biomed Sci 2008, 65:7–12.
- Rui X, Li XD, Cai S, et al.: Ultrasonographic diagnosis and typing of renal tuberculosis. Int J Urol 2008, 15:135–139. CrossRef
- Wang LJ, Wu CF, Wong YC, et al.: Imaging findings of urinary tuberculosis on excretory urography and computerized tomography. J Urol 2003, 169:524–528. CrossRef
- Craig WD, Wagner BJ, Travis MD: Pyelonephritis: radiologic-pathologic review. Radiographics 2008, 28:255–277; quiz 327–328. CrossRef
- Figueiredo AA, Lucon AM, Gomes CM, Srougi M: Urogenital tuberculosis: patient classification in seven different groups according to clinical and radiological presentation. Int Braz J Urol 2008, 34:422–432. CrossRef
- Jain SK, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, et al.: Antibiotic treatment of tuberculosis. Microbe 2008, 3:285–292.
- Kaneko T, Kudoh S, Matsushita N, et al.: Case of bladder tuberculosis with onset at the age of nineteen: treatment of urinary tract tuberculosis in accordance with the new Japanese Tuberculosis Treatment Guidelines [in Japanese]. Nippon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 2008, 99:29–34.
- Cain KP, Benoit SR, Winston CA, MacKenzie WR: Tuberculosis among foreign-born persons in the United States. JAMA 2008, 300:405–412. CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: United States, 1993–2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2007, 56:250–253.
- Editorial Team: World Health Organization reports highest rates of drug-resistant tuberculosis to date. Euro Surveill 2008, 13:8077. http://www.eurosurveillance.org.
- Mitnick CD, Shin SS, Seung KJ, et al.: Comprehensive treatment of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. N Engl J Med 2008, 359:563–574. CrossRef
- Gupta NP, Kumar R, Mundada OP, et al.: Reconstructive surgery for the management of genitourinary tuberculosis: a single center experience. J Urol 2006, 175:2150–2154; discussion 2154. CrossRef
- Wise GJ, Marella VK: Genitourinary manifestations of tuberculosis. Urol Clin North Am 2003, 30:111–121. CrossRef
- Urinary tuberculosis: Modern issues
Current Prostate Reports
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 171-176
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Gilbert J. Wise (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Urology, Maimonides Medical Center, 48-02 Tenth Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11219, USA