Integrative Oncology: Managing Cancer Pain with Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
For the projected 1,638,910 patients with a diagnosis of cancer this year, the great majority of them (75–90 %) will experience cancer-related pain. A growing number of these patients will turn to complementary and alternative therapies to assist with the management of their pain and other cancer-related symptoms. The World Health Organization’s suggested approach to pain management begins with the use of time honored opioids, but recommends the use of adjuvant therapies early in the management process. Complementary and alternative therapies are being used by more patients each year to assist with the management of their pain. Practitioners and researchers must be aware of the evidence that exists to support or refute the use of these therapies. In this manuscript we review evidence from the recent past on complementary and alternative therapies for pain with emphasis on more common modalities including acupuncture, bio-energy, massage, and music.
- American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2012. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2012. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-031941.pdf.
- International Association for the Study of Pain. (2011). IASP Taxonomy. http://www.iasp-pain.org/Content/NavigationMenu/GeneralResourceLinks/PainDefinitions/default.htm.
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. (2010). Adult cancer pain. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 8(9). http://www.nccn.org/JNCCN/toc/2010september.asp#adult.
- Fayed, L. (2009). About cancer: Cancer pain. http://cancer.about.com/od/endoflifeissues/a/cancerpaintypes.htm.
- Induru RR, Lagman RL. Managing cancer pain: frequently asked questions. Cleve Clin J Med. 2011;78(7):449–64. CrossRef
- Portenoy RK. Treatment of cancer pain. Lancet. 2011;377(9784):2236–47. CrossRef
- World Health Organization. (2011). WHO’s pain relief ladder. http://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/painladder/en/.
- Bardia A, Barton DL, Prokop LJ, Bauer BA, Moynihan TJ. Efficacy of complementary and alternative medicine therapies in relieving cancer pain: a systematic review. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24(34):5457–64. CrossRef
- Cassileth B, Trevisan C, Gubili J. Complementary therapies for cancer pain. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2007;11(4):265–9. doi:10.1007/s11916-007-0202-8. CrossRef
- Pujol L, Monti D. Managing cancer pain with nonpharmacologic and complementary therapies. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2007;107(12 Suppl 7):ES15-21.
- Kassab S, Cummings M, Berkovitz S, et al. Homeopathic medicines for adverse effects of cancer treatments. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(2):CD0048455. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD004845.pub2.
- Landier W, Tse AM. Use of complementary and alternative medical interventions for the management of procedure-related pain, anxiety, and distress in pediatric oncology: an integrative review. J Pediatr Nurs. 2010;25(6):566–79. CrossRef
- Cassileth BR, Keefe FJ. Integrative and behavioral approaches to the treatment of cancer-related neuropathic pain. Oncologist. 2010;15(Suppl 2):19–23. CrossRef
- •• Running A, Turnbeaugh E. Oncology pain and complementary therapy. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2011;15(4):374–9. This article reviews evidence related to the use of CAM therapies for oncology pain. CrossRef
- Deng GE, et al. Integrative oncology practice guidelines. J Soc Integr Oncol. 2007;5(2):65–84. doi:10.2310/7200.2007.002. CrossRef
- O’Regan D, Filshie J. Acupuncture and cancer. Auton Neurosci. 2010;157(1–2):96–100. CrossRef
- Paley CA, Johnson JI, Bennett MI. Should physiotherapists use acupuncture for treating patients with cancer-induced bone pain? A discussion paper. Physiotherapy. 2011;97(2011):256–63. doi:10.1016/j.physio.2010.08.008. CrossRef
- •• Hopkins-Hollis AS. Acupuncture as a treatment modality for the management of cancer pain: the state of the science. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2010;37(5):E344–348. This manuscript reviews recent evidence related to the use of acupuncture for cancer pain. CrossRef
- Bao T, Ye X, Skinner J, Cao B, Fisher J, Nesbit S, Grossman SA. The analgesic effect of magnetic acupressure in cancer patients undergoing bone marrow aspiration and biopsy: a randomized, blinded, controlled trial. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011;41(6):995–1002. doi:10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2010.08.012. CrossRef
- Johnstone PAS. Acupuncture as cancer symptom therapy: what a difference a decade makes. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2011;4(4):209–13. doi:10.1016/j.jams.2011.09.011. CrossRef
- Donald G, Tobin I, Stringer J. Evaluation of acupuncture in the management of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Acupunct Med. 2011;29(3):230–3. doi:10.1136/acupmed.2011.0100265. CrossRef
- Ezzo JM et al. Acupuncture-point stimulation for chemotherapy-induced nausea or vomiting. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;(2):CD002285. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD002285.pub2.
- Gilmour J, Harrison C, Asadi L, Cohen MH, Vohra S. Informed consent: advising patients and parents about complementary and alternative medicine therapies. Pediatrics. 2011;128(4):S187–92. doi:10.1542/peds.2010-2720H. CrossRef
- Bennett JA, Cameron LD, Whitehead LC, Porter D. Differences between older and younger cancer survivors in seeking cancer information and using complementary/alternative medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24(10):1089–94. doi:10.1007/s11606-009-0979-8. CrossRef
- Paley CA, Johnson MI, Tahsani OA, Bagnall AM. Acupuncture for cancer pain in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;(1):CD007753. doi:10.1002/14651858.
- •• Anderson JG, Taylor AG. Bio-field therapies and cancer pain. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2012;16(1):43–8. This manuscript reviews recent evidence related to the use of bio-field therapies for cancer pain. CrossRef
- Jackson E, Kelley M, McNeil P, Meyer E, Schlegel L, Eaton M. Does therapeutic touch help reduce pain and anxiety in patients with cancer? Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2008;12(1):113–20. CrossRef
- Falkensteiner M, Mantovan F, Muller I, Them C. The use of massage therapy for reducing pain, anxiety, and depression in oncological palliative care patients: a narrative review of the literature. ISRN Nurs. 2011;2011:929868. doi:10.5402/2011/929868.
- Cunningham JE, Kelechi T, Sterba K, et al. Case report of a patient with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy treated with manual therapy (massage). Support Care Cancer. 2011;19(9):1473–6. CrossRef
- Lyon DE, Schubert C, Taylor AG. Pilot study of cranial stimulation for symptom management in breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2010;37(4):476–83. CrossRef
- Li X-M, Yan H, Zhou K-N, Dang S-N, Wang D-L, Zhang Y-P. Effects of music therapy on pain among female breast cancer patients after radical mastectomy: results from a randomized controlled trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;128:411–9. doi:10.1007/s10549-011-1533-z. CrossRef
- Nguyen TN, Nilsson S, Hellsrom A, Bengtson A. Music therapy to reduce pain and anxiety in children with cancer undergoing lumbar puncture: a randomized clinical trial. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2012;27(3):146–55. doi:101177/1043454209355983. CrossRef
- Yamamoto K, Nagata S. Physiological and psychological evaluation of the wrapped warm footbath as a complementary nursing therapy to induce relaxation in hospitalized patients with incurable cancer a pilot study. Cancer Nurs. 2011;34(3):185–92. doi:10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181fe4d2d. CrossRef
- Ali A, Vitulano LA. A brief report: Yale Research Symposium on Complementary and Integrative Medicine. Yale J Biol Med. 2010;83(3):123–5.
- Yap KY-L, Kuo EY, Lee JJJ, Chui WK, Chan A. An onco-informatics database for anticancer drug interactions with complementary and alternative medicines used in cancer treatment and supportive care: an overview of the OncoRx project. Support Care Cancer. 2010;18(7):883–91. doi:10.1007/s00520-009-0729-9. CrossRef
- Integrative Oncology: Managing Cancer Pain with Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 325-331
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Complementary therapies
- Alternative therapies
- Music therapy
- Industry Sectors