Using Telcagepant for the Acute Treatment of Migraine
- Frederick R. Taylor
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Connor KM, Shapiro RE, Diener HC, et al.: Randomized, controlled trial of telcagepant for the acute treatment of migraine. Neurology 2009, 73:970–977.
Migraine is a highly prevalent debilitating headache disorder. Using International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD)-II criteria for migraine and probable migraine, between 20% to 24% of the population suffer this disorder. Migraine is also a neurovascular disorder involving the trigeminovascular system . The neuropeptide calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) has a widespread distribution throughout the trigeminovascular system with receptors found on meningeal blood vessels, trigeminal ganglion and afferents, the periaqueductal gray and other brainstem nuclei, the amygdala, and the hypothalamus . CGRP plays a key role in migraine pathophysiology as the main messenger released by the activated trigeminovascular system . This key role is supported by evidence that CGRP infusion in su
- Villalón CM, Olesen J: The role of CGRP in the pathophysiology of migraine and efficacy of CGRP receptor antagonists as acute antimigraine drugs. Pharmacol Ther 2009, 124:309–323. CrossRef
- Tepper SJ, Stillman MJ: Clinical and preclinical rationale for CGRP-receptor antagonists in the treatment of migraine. Headache 2008, 48:1259–1268. CrossRef
- Edvinsson L: Blockade of CGRP receptors in the intracranial vasculature: a new target in the treatment of headache. Cephalalgia 2004, 24:611–622. CrossRef
- Juhasz G, Zsombok T, Modos EA, et al.: NO-induced migraine attack: strong increase in plasma calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) concentration and negative correlation with platelet serotonin release. Pain 2003, 106:461–470. CrossRef
- Juhasz G, Zsombok T, Jakab B, et al.: Sumatriptan causes parallel decrease in plasma calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) concentration and migraine headache during nitroglycerin induced migraine attack. Cephalalgia 2005, 25:179–183. CrossRef
- Chalaupka FD: Acute myocardial infarction with sumatriptan: a case report and review of the literature. Headache 2009, 49:762–764. CrossRef
- Ho TW, Ferrari MD, Dodick DW, et al.: Efficacy and tolerability of MK-0974 (telcagepant), a new oral antagonist of calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor, compared with zolmitriptan for acute migraine: a randomised, placebo-controlled, parallel-treatment trial. Lancet 2008, 372:2115–2123. CrossRef
- Dodick DW: Triptan nonresponder studies: implications for clinical practice. Headache 2005, 45:156–162. CrossRef
- Tfelt-Hansen PC: Is there an inherent limit to the efficacy of calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonists in the acute treatment of migraine? A comment. J Headache Pain 2009, 10:389–391. CrossRef
- Olesen J, Diener HC, Husstedt IW, et al.: Calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonist BIBN 4096 BS for the acute treatment of migraine. N Engl J Med 2004, 350:1104–1110. CrossRef
- Ho TW, Mannix LK, Fan X, et al.: Randomized controlled trial of an oral CGRP receptor antagonist, MK-0974, in acute treatment of migraine. Neurology 2008, 70:1304–1312. CrossRef
- Lynch JJ Jr, Regan CP, Md LE, et al.: Comparison of the vasoconstrictor effects of the calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor antagonist telcagepant (MK-0974) and zolmitriptan in human isolated coronary arteries. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2010 Feb 13 [Epub ahead of print].
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Treatment of Migraine in Patients With Stable Vascular Disease. Available at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00662818?term=NCT00662818&rank=1. Accessed April 2010.
- Soldin OP, Tonning JM; Obstetric-fetal pharmacology research unit network: serotonin syndrome associated with triptan monotherapy. N Engl J Med 2008, 358;20:2186.
- Tepper SJ, Cleves C: Telcagepant, a calcitonin gene-related peptide antagonist for the treatment of migraine. Curr Opin Investig Drugs 2009, 10:711–720.
- Using Telcagepant for the Acute Treatment of Migraine
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 175-178
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Park Nicollet Headache Clinic and Research Center, Park Nicollet Health Services, 3191 Louisiana Avenue South, E-500 Meadowbrook Building, Minneapolis, MN, 55426, USA