New daily persistent headache in children and adults
- Kenneth J. Mack
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
New daily persistent headache (NDPH) is frequently seen in young patients with chronic daily headache. NDPH begins with a sudden onset, often associated with an infection or other physical stress. This headache syndrome is difficult to treat and may persist for years. This review discusses the epidemiology, comorbid symptoms, evaluation, and treatment of this disorder.
- Abu-Arafeh I: Chronic tension-type headache in children and adolescents. Cephalalgia 2001, 21:830–836. CrossRef
- Hershey AD, Powers SW, Bentti AL, et al.: Characterization of chronic daily headaches in children in a multidisciplinary headache center. Neurology 2001, 56:1032–1037.
- Winner P, Gladstein J: Chronic daily headache in pediatric practice. Curr Opin Neurol 2002, 15:297–301. CrossRef
- Krymchantowski AV, Moreira PF: Clinical presentation of transformed migraine: possible differences among male and female patients. Cephalalgia 2001, 21:558–566. CrossRef
- Srikiatkhachorn A, Phanthurachinda K: Prevalence and clinical features of chronic daily headache in a headache clinic. Headache 1997, 37:277–280. CrossRef
- Wang SJ, Fuh JL, Lu SR, Juang KD: Chronic daily headache in adolescents. Neurology 2006, 66:193–197. CrossRef
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Solomon S, Mathew NT: Classification of daily and near-daily headaches: proposed revisions to HIS criteria. Headache 1994, 34:1–7. CrossRef
- Vanast WJ: New daily persistent headaches: definition of a benign syndrome. Headache 1986, 26:317–320.
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 2nd Edition. Cephalalgia 2003, 24(Suppl 1):52–53.
- Bigal ME, Lipton RB, Tepper SJ, et al.: Primary chronic daily headache and its subtypes in adolescents and adults. Neurology 2004, 63:843–847.
- Gladstein J, Holden EW: Chronic daily headache in children and adolescents: a 2-year prospective study. Headache 1996, 36:349–351. CrossRef
- Koenig MA, Gladstein J, McCarter RJ, et al.: Chronic daily headache in children and adolescents presenting to tertiary headache clinics. Headache 2002, 42:491–500. CrossRef
- Mack KJ: What incites new daily persistent headache in children? Pediatr Neurol 2004, 31:122–125. CrossRef
- Li D, Rozen TD: The clinical characteristics of new daily persistent headache. Cephalalgia 2002, 22:66–69. CrossRef
- Bigal ME, Sheftell FD, Rapoport AM, et al.: Chronic daily headache: identification of factors associated with induction and transformation. Headache 2002, 42:575–581. CrossRef
- Santoni JR, Santoni-Williams CJ: Headache and painful lymphadenopathy in extracranial or systemic infection: etiology of new daily persistent headaches. Intern Med 1993, 32:530–533. CrossRef
- Stewart WF, Scher AI, Lipton RB: Stressful life events and risk of chronic daily headache: results from the frequent headache epidemiology study. Cephalalgia 2001, 21:278–280. CrossRef
- Meineri P, Torre E, Rota E, Grasso E: New daily persistent headache: clinical and serological characteristics in a retrospective study. Neurol Sci 2004, 25(Suppl 3):S281–S282. CrossRef
- Takase Y, Nakano M, Tatsumi C, Matsuyama T: Clinical features, effectiveness of drug-based treatment, and prognosis of new daily persistent headache (NDPH): 30 cases in Japan. Cephalalgia 2004, 24:955–959. CrossRef
- Diaz-Mitoma F, Vanast WJ, Tyrrell DL: Increased frequency of Epstein-Barr virus excretion in patients with new daily persistent headaches. Lancet 1987, 21:411–415. CrossRef
- Rozen T, Swidan SZ: Elevation of CSF tumor necrosis factor alpha levels in new daily persistent headache and treatment refractory chronic migraine. Headache 2007, 47:1050–1055. CrossRef
- Rozen TD, Roth JM, Denenberg N: Cervical spine joint hypermobility: a possible predisposing factor for new daily persistent headache. Cephalalgia 2006, 26:1182–1185. CrossRef
- Mack KJ, Terrell KW: Chronic daily headache of childhood is a complex of multiple symptoms. American Headache Society. Headache 2003, 43:572.
- Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology: Practice parameter: the utility of neuroimaging in the evaluation of headache in patients with normal neurologic examinations (summary statement). Neurology 1994, 44:1353–1354.
- Schwedt TJ, Guo Y, Rothner AD: “Benign” imaging abnormalities in children and adolescents with headache. Headache 2006, 46:387–398. CrossRef
- Tepper DE, Tepper SJ, Sheftell FD, Bigal ME: Headache attributed to hypothyroidism. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2007, 11:304–309. CrossRef
- Rozen TD: New daily persistent headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2003, 7:218–223. CrossRef
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Dodick DW, et al.: Efficacy and safety of topiramate for the treatment of chronic migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Headache 2007, 47:170–180. CrossRef
- New daily persistent headache in children and adults
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 47-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Kenneth J. Mack (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN, 55905, USA