Cluster headache and lifestyle habits
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cluster headache (CH) has traditionally been associated with certain anthropometric features, personality traits, and lifestyle features. This article focuses on lifestyle features in patients with CH. Especially excessive smoking and alcohol consumption have been ascribed to patients with CH. Despite country-specific habits and a time trend, smoking is much more prevalent among CH patients compared with the general population. Although excessive alcohol consumption was reported in early studies, this was not corroborated more recently. On the contrary, patients with CH seem to avoid alcohol, particularly during active phases, likely due to its ability to trigger attacks. Present studies are purely descriptive. Thus, the associations sketched give no information about the long-term effects of smoking or alcohol consumption on the course of CH.
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders: 2nd edition. Cephalalgia 2004, 24(Suppl 1):9–160.
- Bahra A, Goadsby PJ: Diagnostic delays and mismanagement in cluster headache. Acta Neurol Scand 2004, 109:175–179. CrossRef
- Manzoni G, Prusinski A: Cluster headache: introduction. In The Headaches, edn 2. Edited by Olesen J, Welch KMA. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000:675–678.
- Kudrow L: Physical and personality characteristics in cluster headache. Headache 1974, 13:197–202. CrossRef
- Levi R, Edman GV, Ekbom K, Waldenlind E: Episodic cluster headache. I: Personality and some neuropsychological characteristics in male patients. Headache 1992, 32:119–125. CrossRef
- Levi R, Edman GV, Ekbom K, Waldenlind E: Episodic cluster headache. II: High tobacco and alcohol consumption in males. Headache 1992, 32:184–187. CrossRef
- Manzoni GC: Gender ratio of cluster headache over the years: a possible role of changes in lifestyle. Cephalalgia 1998, 18:138–142. CrossRef
- Manzoni GC: Cluster headache and lifestyle: remarks on a population of 374 male patients. Cephalalgia 1999, 19:88–94. CrossRef
- Swanson JW, Yanagihara T, Stang PE, et al.: Incidence of cluster headaches: a population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Neurology 1994, 44:433–437.
- Hannerz J: Symptoms and diseases and smoking habits in female episodic cluster headache and migraine patients. Cephalalgia 1997, 17:499–500. CrossRef
- Italian Cooperative Study Group on the Epidemiology of Cluster Headache (ICECH): Case-control study on the epidemiology of cluster headache. I: Etiological factors and associated conditions. Neuroepidemiology 1995, 14:123–127. CrossRef
- Bahra A, May A, Goadsby PJ: Cluster headache: a prospective clinical study with diagnostic implications. Neurology 2002, 58:354–361.
- Schürks M, Kurth T, de Jesus J, et al.: Cluster headache: clinical presentation, lifestyle features, and medical treatment. Headache 2006, 46:1246–1254. CrossRef
- Donnet A, Lanteri-Minet M, Guegan-Massardier E, et al.: Chronic cluster headache: a French clinical descriptive study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007, 78:1354–1358. CrossRef
- World Health Organization: Tobacco cross country profile. Available at: http://data.euro.who.int/tobacco/Default.aspx?TabID=2444. Accessed July 2007.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Health and Human Services: Smoking and tobacco use. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/tables/adult/table_2.htm. Accessed July 2007.
- Millac P, Akhtar N: Cigarette smoking and cluster headaches. Headache 1985, 25:223. CrossRef
- Rozen TD: Childhood exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke and the development of cluster headache. Headache 2005, 45:393–394. CrossRef
- Schürks M, Kurth T, Knorn P, et al.: Predictors of hazardous alcohol consumption among patients with cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2006, 26:623–627. CrossRef
- Manzoni GC, Terzano MG, Bono G, et al.: Cluster headache—clinical findings in 180 patients. Cephalalgia 1983, 3:21–30. CrossRef
- Cluster headache and lifestyle habits
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 115-121
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links