Cluster headache and the heart
- Elizabeth Loder MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cluster headache is a rare but debilitating recurrent headache disorder. It is most common in middle-aged and older men, a group with a high prevalence of cardiovascular disease. This article reviews available information regarding the association of cluster headache and the heart in three selected areas: 1) the known effects of cluster headache on cardiovascular parameters such as heart rate and rhythm and blood pressure; 2) the prevalence of cardiac risk factors in subjects with cluster headache; and 3) the connection between patent foramen ovale and cluster headache. Some evidence suggests that cardiovascular risk factors, especially cigarette smoking, may be more common in cluster headache sufferers. There also is evidence that disturbances of autonomic function or certain structural cardiac anomalies may be more common in cluster headache sufferers. In addition, a number of important treatment options for cluster headache have effects on cardiovascular function that must be considered in planning therapy. The implications of these findings for clinical practice are discussed.
- D’Alessandro R, Gamberini G, Benassi G, et al.: Cluster headache in the Republic of San Marino. Cephalalgia 1986, 6:159–162. CrossRef
- Finkel AG: Epidemiology of cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2003, 7:144–149.
- Manzoni GC: Gender ratio of cluster headache over the years: a possible role of changes in lifestyle. Cephalalgia 1998, 18:138–142. CrossRef
- Waldenlind E, Ekbom K, Torhall J: MR-angiography during spontaneous attacks of cluster headache: a case report. Headache 1993, 33:291–295. A fortuitous glimpse at a naturally occurring cluster attack (as opposed to an induced attack) with magnetic resonance angiography. CrossRef
- May A, Kaube H, Buchel C, et al.: Experimental cranial pain elicited by capsaicin: a PET study. Pain 1998, 74:61–66. CrossRef
- Horton BT: Histaminic cephalgia. Md State Med J 1961, 10:178–203.
- Bruyn GW, Bootsma BK, Klawans HL: Cluster headache and bradycardia. Headache 1976, 16:11–15. CrossRef
- Horven I, Sjaastad O: Cluster headache syndrome and migraine: ophthalmological support for a two-entity theory. Acta Ophthalmol 1977, 55:35–51. CrossRef
- Russell D, von der Lippe A: Cluster headache: heart rate and blood pressure changes during spontaneous attacks. Cephalalgia 1982, 2:61–70. CrossRef
- Erdinler I, Afsar N, Sanli A, Okmen E: Asystole associated with cluster headache. Can J Cardiol 2004, 20:1369–1370.
- Tubani L, Baratta L, Giorgino F, et al.: Heart rate variability in cluster headache. Annali Italiani di Medicine Interna 2003, 18:42–46.
- Tassorelli C, Micieli G, Osipova V, et al.: Combined evaluation of pupillary and cardiovascular responses to cold pressor test in cluster headache patients. Cephalalgia 1998, 18:668–674. CrossRef
- Meyer EL, Waldenlind E, Marcus C: Diminished nocturnal lipolysis in cluster headache: A sign of central sympathetic dysregulation? Neurology 2003, 61:1250–1254.
- Russell D, Storstein L: Cluster headache: a computerized analysis of 24 h Holter ECG recordings and description of ECG rhythm disturbances. Cephalalgia 1983, 3:83–107. A carefully done study of the effects of cluster headache on cardiac rhythm. CrossRef
- Nordin M, Fagius J, Waldenlind E: Sympathetic vasoconstrictor outfiow to extremity muscles in cluster headache: recordings during spontaneous and nitroglycerin-induced attacks. Headache 1997, 37:358–367. CrossRef
- Dodick DW, Capobianco DJ: Treatment and management of cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2001, 5:83–90.
- Leone M, D’Amico D, Attanasio A, et al.: Verapamil is an effective prophylactic for cluster headache: results of a double-blind, multicenter study versus placebo. In Cluster Headache & Related Conditions. Edited by Olesen J, Goadsby PJ. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1999:296–299.
- Hart AP, Royster RL, Johnston RE: Cardiac conduction interactions of propranolol and verapamil with halothane in pentobarbitone-anaesthetized dogs. Br J Anaesth 1988, 61:748–753. CrossRef
- Watling SM, Crain JL, Edwards TD, Stiller RA: Verapamil overdose: case report and review of the literature. Ann Pharmacother 1992, 11:1373–1378.
- Ekbom K: Treatment of acute cluster headache with sumatriptan. N Engl J Med 1991, 325:322–326. CrossRef
- Anderssson PG, Jespersen LT: Dihydroergotamine nasal spray in the treatment of attacks of cluster headache. Cephalalgia 1986, 6:51–54. CrossRef
- Fogan L: Treatment of cluster headache: a double-blind comparison of oxygen v air inhalation. Arch Neurol 1985, 42:362–363.
- Hannerz J, Jogestrand T: Chronic cluster headache: provocation with carbon dioxide breathing and nitroglycerin. Headache 1996, 36:174–177. CrossRef
- Manzoni GC: Cluster headache and lifestyle: remarks on a population of 374 male patients. Cephalalgia 1999, 19:88–94. An excellent study that verifies longstanding clinical observations. CrossRef
- Manzoni GC, Terzano MG, Bono G, et al.: Cluster headache: clinical findings in 180 patients. Cephalalgia 1983, 8:21–30. CrossRef
- Hannerz J: Symptoms and diseases and smoking habits in female episodic cluster headache and migraine patients. Cephalalgia 1997, 17:499–500. CrossRef
- Rozen TD: Childhood exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke and the development of cluster headache. Headache 2005, 45:393–394. CrossRef
- Torelli P, Cologno D, Cademartiri C, Manzoni GC: Possible predictive factors in the evolution of episodic to chronic cluster headache. Headache 2000, 40:798–808. CrossRef
- Torelli P, Manzoni GC: What predicts evolution from episodic to chronic cluster headache? Curr Pain Headache Rep 2002, 6:65–70.
- Cirillo M, Stellato D, Lombardi C, et al.: Headache and cardiovascular risk factors: positive association with hypertension. Headache 1999, 39:409–416. CrossRef
- Meier B, Lock JE: Contemporary management of patent foramen ovale. Circulation 2003, 107:5–9. CrossRef
- Siostrzonek P, Zangeneh M, Gossinger H, et al.: Comparison of transesophageal and transthoracic contrast echocardiography for detection of a patent foramen ovale. Am J Cardiol 1991, 68:1247–1249. CrossRef
- Hagen PT, Scholz DG, Edwards WD: Incidence and size of patent foramen ovale during the fist 10 decades of life: an autopsy study of 965 normal hearts. Mayo Clin Proc 1984, 59:17–20.
- Dowson A: Preliminary data from the MIST trial. Poster presentation at the International Headache Society Scientific Meeting. Kyoto, Japan: October 9–12, 2005.
- Finocchi C, Del Sette M, Angeli S, et al.: Cluster headache and right-to-left shunt on contrast transcranial Doppler: a case-control study. Neurology 2004, 63:1309–1310.
- Beelke M, Angeli S, Del Sette M, et al.: Obstructive sleep apnea can be provocative for right-to-left shunting through a patent foramen ovale. Sleep 2002, 25:856–862.
- Chervin RD, Zallek SN, Lin X, et al.: Sleep-disordered breathing in patients with cluster headache. Neurology 2000, 54:2302–2306.
- Cluster headache and the heart
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 142-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Headache Management Program, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, 125 Nashua Street, 02114, Boston, MA, USA