Cluster headache: Acase-based review of diagnostic and treatment approaches
- Marc S. Husid MD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Cluster headache is one of the worst pain syndromes known to mankind. Medical treatment is highly effective in most cases, but because cluster headache is rare, many physicians are not familiar with the details of its management. This article reviews three common presentations of cluster headache to illustrate standard approaches to its treatment. Algorithms for acute, preventive, and transitional (bridge) therapy are provided.
- Rozen TD: Cluster headache: diagnosis and treatment. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2005, 9:135–140. A concise, up-to-date overview of the topic.
- Klapper JA, Klapper A, Voss T: The misdiagnosis of cluster headache: a nonclinic, population-based, Internet survey. Headache 2000, 40:730–735. CrossRef
- van VlietJA, Eekers PJ, Haan J, et al.: Features involved in the diagnostic delay of cluster headache. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003, 74:1123–1125. A large, population-based study designed to help understand why, despite its well-defined clinical description, the diagnosis of cluster headache is missed or delayed so often. CrossRef
- Bahra A, May A, Goadsby PJ: Cluster headache: a prospective clinical study with diagnostic implications. Neurology 2002, 58:354–361. A study similar to that mentioned above, which draws attention to the under-management of cluster headache in clinical practice and adds new data to the clinical characteristics of cluster headache that may aid in improving recognition.
- Headache Classification Subcommittee of the International Headache Society: The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 2nd edition. Cephalalgia 2004, 24(suppl 1):44–48.
- Nappi G, Micieli G, Cavallini A, et al.: Accompanying symptoms of cluster headache: their relevance to the diagnostic criteria. Cephalalgia 1992, 3:165–168. CrossRef
- Dodick DW, Rozen TD, Goadsby PJ, et al.: Cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2000, 20:787–803. CrossRef
- Dodick DW, Capobianco DJ: Treatment and management of cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2001, 5:83–91.
- Matharu MS, Boes CJ, Goadsby PJ: Management of trigeminal autonomic cephalgias and hemicrania continua. Drugs 2003, 63:1637–1677. A thorough, scholarly, evidence-based review of the pathophysiology, natural history, epidemiology, and treatment of cluster headache and the other trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. Required reading for anyone involved in treating headache patients. CrossRef
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RL, Goadsby PJ: Trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias-1: cluster headache: diagnosis and treatment. In Headache in Clinical Practice. London: Martin Dunitz Ltd.; 2002:147–163.
- Dodick DW: Chronic cluster headache. In Chronic Daily Headache for Clinicians. Edited by Goadsby PJ, Silberstein SD, Dodick DW. Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker Inc.; 2005:65–80. A very well-written, thorough, scholarly, evidence-based review of the pathophysiology, natural history, epidemiology, and treatment of chronic cluster headache, although most of the information is equally applicable to episodic cluster headache. Required reading for anyone involved in treating headache patients.
- Ekbom K, Bahra A: Diagnosis, differential diagnosis, and prognosis of cluster headaches. In The Headaches. Edited by Olesen J, Goadsby PJ, Ramadan NM, et al. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:797–800.
- Ekbom K, Hardebo JE: Cluster headache: etiology, diagnosis, and management. Drugs 2002, 62:61–69. CrossRef
- Carter DM: Cluster headache mimics. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2004, 8:133–139. A good overview of conditions that can mimic primary cluster headache, which must be ruled out before a confident diagnosis of primary cluster headache can be made.
- Leone M: The man with intractable headache. In Advanced Therapy of Headache. Edited by Purdy RA, Rapoport AM, Sheftell FD, et al. Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker Inc.; 2005:91–94.
- D’Andrea G, Granella F, Ghiotto N, et al.: Lamotrigine in the treatment of SUNCT syndrome. Neurology 2001, 57:1723–1725.
- Graff-Radford SB: SUNCT syndrome responsive to gabapentin. Cephalalgia 2000, 20:515–517. CrossRef
- Porta-Essam J, Martinez-Salio A, Berbel A, et al.: Gabapentin in the treatment of SUNCT syndrome. Cephalalgia 2002, 22:249–250. CrossRef
- Horton BT: Histaminic cephalalgia: differential diagnosis and treatment. Proc Mayo Clinic 1956, 31:325–333.
- Kudrow L: Response of cluster headache attacks to oxygen inhalation. Headache 1981, 21:1–4. CrossRef
- Fogan L: Treatment of cluster headache: a double-blind comparison of oxygen air inhalation. Arch Neurol 1985, 42:362–363.
- Rozen TD: High oxygen flow rates for cluster headache. Neurology 2004, 63:593.
- Rozen TD, Niknam R, Schecter AL, et al.: Gender differences in clinical characteristics and treatment response in cluster headache patients. Cephalalgia 1999, 19:323.
- Leone M, Rapoport AM: Preventive and surgical management of cluster headache. In The Headaches. Edited by Olesen J, Goadsby PJ, Ramadan NM, et al. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:809–814.
- Ekbom K: The Sumatriptan Cluster Headache Study Group. Treatment of acute cluster headache with sumatriptan. N Engl J Med 1991, 325:322–326. CrossRef
- Gobel H, Linder V, Heinze A, et al.: Acute therapy for cluster headache with sumatriptan: flndings of a 1-year long-term study. Neurology 1998, 51:908–911.
- van VlietJA, Bahra A, Martin M, et al.: Intranasal sumatriptan in cluster headache. Neurology 2003, 60:630–633. CrossRef
- Cittadini E, May A, Straube A, et al.: Zolmitriptan nasal spray is effective in the acute treatment of cluster headache: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Cephalalgia 2005, 25:921.
- Bahra A, Gawel MJ, Hardebo JE, et al.: Oral zolmitriptan is effective in the acute treatment of cluster headache. Neurology 2000, 54:1832–1839.
- Shapiro RE: Corticosteroid treatment in cluster headache: evidence, rationale and practice. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2005, 9:126–131.
- Anthony M: Arrest of attacks of cluster headache by local steroid injection of the occipital ner ve. In Migraine: Clinical and Research Advances. Edited by Rose FC. London: Karger; 1985:169–173.
- Peres MFP, Stiles MA, Siow HC, et al.: Greater occipital ner ve blockade for cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2002, 22:520–522. CrossRef
- Ambrosini A, Vandenheede M, Rossi P, et al.: Suboccipital (GON) injection with long-acting steroids in cluster headache: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Cephalalgia 2003, 23:734.
- Matharu MS, van VlietJA, Ferrari, et al.: Verapamilinduced gingival enlargement in cluster headache. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005, 76:124–127. CrossRef
- McGeeney BE: Cluster headache pharmacotherapy. Am J Ther 2005, 12:351–358. CrossRef
- Mueller L, Gallagher RM, Cier vo CA: Methylergonovine maleate as a cluster headache prophylactic: a study and review. Headache 1997, 37:437–442. CrossRef
- McGeeney BE: Topiramate in the treatment of cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2003, 7:135–138.
- Peres MF, Rozen TD: Melatonin in the preventive treatment of chronic cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2001, 21:993–995. CrossRef
- Leone M, Damico D, Moschiano F, et al.: Melatonin versus placebo in the prophylaxis of cluster headache: a double-blind pilot study with parallel groups. Cephalalgia 1996, 16:494–496. CrossRef
- Ahmed F: Chronic cluster headache responding to gabapentin: a case report. Cephalalgia 2000, 20:252–253. CrossRef
- Tay BA, Kee N, Chung DC: Gabapentin for the treatment and prophylaxis of cluster headache. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2001, 26:373–375. CrossRef
- Leandri M, Luzzani M, Cruccu G, et al.: Drug-resistant cluster headache responding to gabapentin: a pilot study. Cephalalgia 2001, 21:744–746. CrossRef
- Mulder LJ, Spierings EL: Naratriptan in the preventive treatment of cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2002, 22:815–817. CrossRef
- Rozen TD: Atypical presentations of cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2002, 22:725–729. CrossRef
- Rozen TD: Interventional treatment for cluster headache: a review of the options. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2002, 6:57–64.
- Leone M, Franzini A, Bussone G: Stereotactic stimulation of posterior hypothalamic gray matter in a patient with intractable cluster headache. N Engl J Med 2001, 345:1428–1429. The first published account of successful treatment of a patient with intractable cluster headache by electrical stimulation of an electrode implanted in the precise anatomic location of the putative cluster headache generator. This case began a whole new era of headache therapy. CrossRef
- Leone M, Franzini A, Broggi G, et al.: Long-term follow-up of bilateral hypothalamic stimulation for intractable cluster headache. Brain 2004, 127:2259–2264. CrossRef
- Leone M, Franzini A, Felisati G, et al.: Deep brain stimulation for cluster headache. Neurol Sci 2005, 26:S138-S139. CrossRef
- Schoenen J, Di Clemente L, Vandenheede M, et al.: Hypothalamic stimulation in chronic cluster headache: a pilot study of efficacy and mode of action. Brain 2005, 128:940–947. CrossRef
- Cluster headache: Acase-based review of diagnostic and treatment approaches
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 117-125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Marc S. Husid MD (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Walton Headache Center, Medical College of Georgia, 1355 Independence Drive, 30901, Augusta, GA, USA