Medicolegal issues in cluster headache
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper identifies legal issues of relevance to the diagnosis and treatment of cluster headache, including areas of actual and potential malpractice liability. Legal topics that are relevant to cluster headache can be divided into five categories: diagnostic-related issues, risks inherent in the disease process, prescribing and treatment-related problems, research-related issues, and disability determination.
- Dodick DW, Campbell JK: Cluster headache: diagnosis, management and treatment. In Wolff’s Headache and Other Head Pain, edn 7. Edited by Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Dalessio DJ. New York: Oxford University Press; 2001:283–309.
- Clodfelter v Industrial Comm’n of Colorado, 160 Colo # 39 413 P.2d 700 LEXIS 585 (1966 CO).
- Minnesota v Folkert, 354 N.W. 2d 583; LEXIS 3568 (App. 1984 MN).
- Williams v City of Seattle, 607 F. Supp. 714 LEXIS 20195 (U.S. Dist 1985).
- Delaware v Steedley, Super LEXIS 19 (1995 Del).
- Bernaiche v Bernaiche, Conn LEXIS 1987 (Super 1999).
- Hardy v Apfel, LEXIS 8728 (US Dist 1999).
- Smith v Massanari, LEXIS 5057 9 Soc Sec Rep Service 275 (US Dist 2002).
- Liscano v Barnhart, 230 F Supp 2d 871, LEXIS 21832 85 Soc Sec. Rep Service 102 (US Dist 2002).
- Ohio v Hedgecoth, 2003 Ohio 3385, LEXIS 3078 (Ohio App 2003).
- Wood v Green, 323 F.3d 1309 LEXIS 4470; 16 Fla. L. Weekly Fed. C 413;14 Am Disabilities Cas (BNA) 100;10 Accom Disabilities Dec (CCH) 10-248 (US App 2003).
- Cohen MH, Eisenberg DM: Potential physician malpractice liability associated with complementary and integrative medical therapies. Ann Intern Med 2002, 136:596–603.
- van Vliet JA, Eekers PJE, Haan J, Ferrari MD: Features involved in the diagnostic delay of cluster headache. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003, 74:1123–1125. This paper documents what many headache experts know from experience: that CH is frequently misdiagnosed and ineffectively treated. CrossRef
- Blau JN: Behaviour during a cluster headache. Lancet 1993, 342:723–725. CrossRef
- Geweke LO: Misdiagnosis of cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2002, 6:76–82. CrossRef
- Tepper SJ, Rapoport AM, Sheftell FD: Ethical considerations in cluster headache research. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2002, 6:47–51. CrossRef
- Capen K: Findings of negligence followed communication lapses in BC aneurysm case. Can Med Assoc J 1997, 156:49–41.
- Mathew NT: Cluster headache: clinical features and pathophysiology. Semin Headache Manage 1996, 1:1–4.
- Kudrow L: Cluster Headache: Mechanisms and Management. London: Oxford University Press; 1980.
- Mani S, Deeter J: Arteriovenous malformation of the brain presenting as a cluster headache: a case report. Headache 1982, 22:184–185. CrossRef
- http://kornandstern.com/page.cfm/PageID/210. Accessed December 11, 2003.
- Decision-Making: Theory and Practice. Industrial Disease Standards Panel I.D.S.P. Occasional Paper: Toronto, Ontario; December 1994. www.canoshweb.org/odp/html/ DEC1994.HTM. Accessed December 11, 2003.
- Furrow BR. Greaney TL, Johnson SH, et al.: Health Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems. St. Paul, MN: West Pub; 1995.
- International Headache Society Classification Committee: The International Classification of Headache Disorders, edn 2. Cephalalgia 2004, 24:1-231.
- Kudrow L: Natural history of cluster headache — part 1: outcome of drop-out patients. Headache 1982, 22:203–206. CrossRef
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Goadsby P: Headache in Clinical Practice. Oxford: Isis Medical Media Ltd; 2002.
- Evers S, Bauer B, Suhr B, et al.: Cognitive processing is involved in cluster headache, but not in chronic paroxysmal hemicrania. Neurology 1999, 53:357–363.
- Kagaya M, Kono S, Kaneda A, et al.: Localized lymphomatoid papulosis. Dermatology 2002, 204:72–74. CrossRef
- Falliers CJ. Letter to the editor. Arch Intern Med 2003, 163:1112–1113. CrossRef
- Rothschild JM, Federico FA, Gandhi TK, et al.: Analysis of medication-related malpractice claims [Comment]. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:2414–2420. CrossRef
- McKee MD, Waddel JP, Kudo PA, et al.: Osteonecrosis of the femoral head in men following short-course corticosteroid therapy: a report of 15 cases. CMAJ 2001, 164:205–206.
- Graham JR, Suby HI, LeCompte PR, Sadowsky NI: Inflammatory fibrosis associated with methysergide therapy. Res Clin Stud Headache 1967, 1:123–164.
- Ekbom K: Lithium for cluster headache: review of the literature and preliminary results of long-term treatment. Headache 1981, 21:132–139. CrossRef
- Loder E, Biondi D: Off-label prescribing of drugs in specialty headache practice. Headache 2004, in press.
- Silberstein SD, for the US Headache Consortium: Practice parameter: evidence-based guidelines for migraine headache (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2000, 55:754–763.
- Mariner WK: Liability for managed care decisions: the employee retirement income security act (ERISA) and the uneven playing field. Am J Public Health 1996, 86:863–869. CrossRef
- Taler G: Clinical practice guidelines: their purposes and uses. J Am Geriatr Soc 1996, 44:1108–1111.
- Mello MM, Studdert DM, Brennan TA: The rise of litigation in human subjects research. Ann Intern Med 2003, 139:40–45. An important article that highlights the increasing legal risks associated with clinical trials participation.
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki, Adopted by the 18th WMA General Assembly, Helsinki, Finland, June 1964. http://www.wma.net/e/policy/b3.htm 2002. Amended version accessed August 27, 2003.
- International Headache Society Clinical Trials Subcommittee: Guidelines for Controlled Trials of Drugs in Migraine, edn 2. Cephalalgia 2000, 20:765-786.
- Miller FG, Shorr AF: Unnecessary use of placebo controls: the case of asthma clinical trials. Arch Intern Med 2002, 162:1673–1677. CrossRef
- Brennan TA, Sox CM, Burstin HR: Relation between negligent adverse events and the outcomes of medical-malpractice litigation. N Engl J Med 1996, 335:1963–1967. CrossRef
- Localio AR, Lawthers AG, Brennan TA, et al.: Relation between malpractice claims and adverse events due to negligence: results of the Harvard Medical Practice Study III. N Engl J Med 1991, 325:245–251. CrossRef
- Medicolegal issues in cluster headache
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 147-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links