Topical agents in the treatment of cluster headache
- Herbert G. Markley MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article discusses topical intranasal medications in the treatment of cluster headache.
- The Sumatriptan Cluster Headache Study Group: Treatment of acute cluster headache with sumatriptan. N Engl J Med 1991, 325:322–326. CrossRef
- Gobel H, Lindner V, Heinze A, et al.: Acute therapy for cluster headache with sumatriptan: findings of a one-year long-term study. Neurology 1998, 51:908–911.
- Hardebo JE, Dahlof C: Sumatriptan nasal spray (20 mg/dose) in the acute treatment of cluster headache. Cephalalgia 1998, 18:487–489. CrossRef
- Schuh-Hofer S, Reuter U, Kinze S, et al.: Treatment of acute cluster headache with 20 mg sumatriptan nasal spray: an open pilot study. J Neurol 2002, 249:94–99. This is a re-evaluation of the role of sumatriptan nasal spray in abortive treatment of cluster headache. Approximately 40% of patients showed continued benefit. CrossRef
- Manzoni GC: Cluster headache and lifestyle: remarks on a population of 374 male patients. Cephalalgia 1999, 19:88–94. CrossRef
- Shakra S, Becker WJ, Werner J, et al.: Zolmitriptan nasal spray is effective, fast-acting and well tolerated during both short and long-term treatment. Neurology 2002, 58(suppl 3):A414. New preliminary information about a rapidly acting triptan nasal spray recently introduced for migraine in Europe. It may be a promising agent in aborting cluster headache.
- Andersson PG, Jespersen LT: Dihydroergotamine nasal spray in the treatment of attacks of cluster headache. Cephalalgia 1986, 6:51–54. CrossRef
- Sluder G: Role of the sphenopalatine (Meckel’s) ganglion in nasal headache. NY Med J 1908, 87:989–990.
- Vail HH: Vidian neuralgia. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1932, 41:837–856.
- Vail HH: Vidian neuralgia from disease of sphenoidal sinus; report of a case. Arch Surg 1929, 18:1247–1255.
- Barré F: Cocaine as an abortive agent in cluster headache. Headache 1982, 22:69–73. CrossRef
- Costa A, Pucci E, Antonaci F, et al.: The effect of intranasal cocaine and lidocaine on nitroglycerin-induced attacks in cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2000, 20:85–91. This article compares intranasal cocaine and lidocaine. Cocaine remains therapeutically superior. CrossRef
- Kitrelle JP, Grouse DS, Seybold ME: Cluster headache: local anesthetic abortive agents. Arch Neurol 1985, 42:496–498.
- Hardebo JE, Elner A: Nerves and vessels in the pterygopalatine fossa and symptoms of cluster headache. Headache 1987, 27:528–532. This is an excellent neuroanatomic review and tutorial on this important topic. Timeless. CrossRef
- Watson CPN, Evans, RJ: Chronic cluster headache: a review of 60 patients. Headache 1987, 27:158–165. CrossRef
- Robbins L: Intranasal lidocaine for cluster headache. Headache 1995, 35:83–84. CrossRef
- Kudrow L, Kudrow DB: Intranasal lidocaine. Headache 1995, 35:565–566. CrossRef
- Kudrow L, Kudrow DB, Sandweiss JH: Rapid and sustained relief of migraine attacks with intranasal lidocaine: preliminary findings. Headache 1995, 35:79–82. CrossRef
- Fusco BM, Giacovazzo M: Peppers and pain: the promise of capsaicin. Drugs 1997, 53:909–914. CrossRef
- Sicuteri F, Fusco BM, Marabini S, Fanciullacci M: Capsaicin as a potential medication for cluster headache. Med Sci Res 1988, 16:1079–1080.
- Sicuteri F, Fusco BM, Marabini M, et al.: Beneficial effect of capsaicin application to the nasal mucosa in cluster headache. Clin J Pain 1989, 5:49–53. CrossRef
- Fusco BM, Fiore G, Gallo F, et al.: "Capsaicin-sensitive" sensory neurons in cluster headache: pathophysiological aspects and therapeutic indication. Headache 1994, 34:132–137. CrossRef
- Fusco BM, Geppetti P, Fanciullacci M, Sicuteri F: Local application of capsaicin for the treatment of cluster headache and trigeminal neuralgia. Cephalalgia 1991, 11(suppl 11):234–235.
- Nicolodi M: Nostril capsaicin application as a model of trigeminal primary sensory neuronal activation. Cephalalgia 1994, 14:134–138. CrossRef
- Fusco BM, Marabini S, Maggi CA, et al.: Preventative effect of repeated nasal applications of capsaicin in cluster headache. Pain 1994, 59:321–325. CrossRef
- Marks DR, Rapoport A, Padla D: A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of intranasal capsaicin for cluster headache. Cephalalgia 1993, 13:114–116. CrossRef
- Doggrell SA: Migraine and beyond: cardiovascular therapeutic potential for CGRP modulators. Expert Opin Invest Drugs 2001, 10:1131–1138. CrossRef
- Hua XY, Chen P, Hwang J, Yaksh TL: Antinociception induced by civamide, an orally active capsaicin analogue. Pain 1997, 71:313–322. CrossRef
- Diamond S, Freitag F, Phillips SB, et al.: Intranasal civamide for the acute treatment of migraine headache. Cephalalgia 2000, 20:597–602. This article introduces a new capsaicin analogue into development for the treatment of migraine. It would likely work better for prophylaxis of cluster headache. CrossRef
- Saper JR, Klapper J, Mathew NT, et al.: Intranasal civamide for the treatment of episodic cluster headaches. Arch Neurol 2002, 59:990–994. Civamide seems to work better for prophylaxis of cluster headache than for migraine abortion, but this small study does not show a robust effect. CrossRef
- Topical agents in the treatment of cluster headache
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 139-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. New England Regional Headache Center, 85 Prescott Street, 01605, Worcester, MA, USA