Antidepressants in the treatment of migraine headache
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Antidepressants, particularly tricyclic antidepressants, have been a mainstay in the prophylactic therapy of migraine. The tricyclic antidepressants amitriptyline, nortriptyline, and doxepin have been the major agents for prophylactic treatment of migraine. These cause significant side effects in some patients. The high-affinity selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and other newer antidepressants have been disappointing and much less effective in the treatment of migraine. In patients who are depressed with severe migraine, a tricyclic antidepressant may treat both conditions; however, the addition of a newer atypical antidepressant may be needed.
- Goadsby PJ: How do the currently used prophylactic agents work in migraine? Cephalalgia 1997, 17:85–92. CrossRef
- Couch JR, Hassanein RS: Amitriptyline in migraine prophylaxis. Arch Neurol 1979, 36:695–699.
- O’Malley PG, Jackson JL, Santoro J, et al.: Antidepressant therapy for unexplained symptoms and symptom syndromes: evidence-based clinical review. J Fam Pract 1999, 48:980–990. This article is a meta-analysis of the different trials on the efficacy of antidepressants in the treatment of unexplained symptoms or symptoms syndromes, including migraine headache and chronic daily headache.
- Silberstein SD: Practice parameter: evidence-based guidelines for migraine headache: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2000, 55:754–762. A review article that rates that different medications used in the treatment of migraine headache based on the existing clinical evidence.
- Ramadan NM, Schultz LL, Gilkey SJ: Migraine prophylactic drugs: proof of efficacy, utilization, and cost. Cephalalgia 1997, 17:73–80. CrossRef
- Holroyd KA, O’Donnell FJ, Stensland M, et al.: Management of chronic Ttension-type headache with tricyclic antidepressant medication, stress management therapy, and their combination: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2001, 285:2208–2215. CrossRef
- Lance JW, Anthony M: Clinical trial of a new serotonin antagonist, BC105, in the prevention of migraine. Med J Australia 1968, 1:54–55.
- Couch JR, Ziegler DK, Hassanein RS: Amitriptyline in the prophylaxis of migraine: effectiveness and relationship of antimigraine and antidepressant effects. Neurology 1976, 26:121–127. One of the earliest trials on amitriptyline as migraine prophylaxis that establishes its efficacy in this condition.
- Ziegler DK, Hurwitz A, Preskorn H, et al.: Propranolol and amitriptyline in prophylaxis of migraine: pharmacokinetic and therapeutic effects. Arch Neurol 1993, 50:825–830.
- Ziegler DK, Hurwitz A, Preskorn S, et al.: Migraine prophylaxis: a comparison of propranolol and amitriptyline. Arch Neurol 1987, 44:486–489. A clinical trial that establishes the efficacy of propranolol and amitriptyline in migraine prophylaxis. It also shows that both are equally effective as prophylaxis.
- Morland TJ, Storli OV, Mogstad TE: Doxepin in the prophylactic treatment of mixed vascular and tension headache. Headache 1979, 19:382–383. A rare article on the efficacy of doxepin in the management of migraine/vascular headaches. CrossRef
- Capobianco DJ, Cheshire WP, Campbell JK: An overview of the diagnosis and pharmacologic treatment of migraine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 1996, 71:1055–1066.
- Lance JW, Curran DA: Treatment of chronic tension headache. Lancet 1964, 1:1236–1239. CrossRef
- Redillas C, Solomon S: Prophylactic pharmacologic treatment of chronic daily headache. Headache 2000, 40:83–102. CrossRef
- Kunkel RS: Diagnosis and treatment of muscle contraction (tension-type) headaches. Med Clin North Am 1975, 3:595–603.
- Steiner TJ, Ahmed F, Findley LJ, et al.: S-fluoxetine in the prophylaxis of migraine: a phase II double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Cephalalgia 1998, 18:283–286. A major trial on the efficacy of fluoxetine as migraine prophylaxis. CrossRef
- d’Amato CC, Pizza V, Marmolo T, et al.: Fluoxetine for migraine prophylaxis: double-blind trial. Headache 1999, 19:716–719.
- Oguzhanoglu A, Sahiner T, Kurt T, Akalin O, Use of amitriptyline and fluoxetine in the prophylaxis of migraine and tension-type headaches. Cephalalgia 1999, 19:531–532. CrossRef
- Saper JR, Silberstein SD, Lake AE III, Winters ME: Double-blind trial of fluoxetine: chronic daily headache and migraine. Headache 1994, 34:497–502. CrossRef
- Bank JA: Comparative study of amitriptyline and fluvoxamine in migraine prophylaxis. Headache 1994, 34:476–478. CrossRef
- Manna V, Bolino F, DiCicco L: Chronic tension-type headache, mood depression, and serotonin: therapeutic effect of fluvoxamine and mianserine. Headache 1994, 34:44–49. CrossRef
- Munera P, Golstein A: Migraine and sertraline. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2001, 40:1125–1126. CrossRef
- Delva NJ, Horgan SA, Hawken ER: Valproate prophylaxis for migraine induced by selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Headache 2000, 40:248–251. CrossRef
- Bendtsen L, Jensen R, Olesen J: A non-selective (amitriptyline), but not a selective (citalopram), serotonin reuptake inhibitor is effective in the prophylactic treatment of chronic tension-type headache. JNeurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1996, 61:285–290. CrossRef
- Nutt D, Law J: Treatment of cluster headache with Mirtazapine. Headache 1999, 39:586–587. CrossRef
- Brannon GE, Rolland PD, Gary JM: Use of mirtazepine as prophylactic treatment for migraine headache. Psychosomatics 2000, 41:153–154. CrossRef
- Pinsker W: Treatment of headache with bupropion. Headache 1998, 38:58.
- Battistella PA, Ruffilli R, Cernetti R, et al.: A placebo-controlled crossover trial using trazodone in pediatric migraine. Headache 1993, 33:36–39. CrossRef
- Pies R: Trazodone and intractable headaches. J Clin Psychiatry 1983, 44:317.
- Brewerton TO, Murphy DL, Mueller EA, Jimerson DC: Induction of migraine-like headache by the serotonin agonist, M-chlorophenylpiperazine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1988, 43:605–609. CrossRef
- Workman EA, Tellian SD, Short D: Trazodone induction of migraine headaches through mCPP. Am J Psychiatry 1992, 149:712.
- Spierings EL: Hypothesis:serotonin-1C receptor activation in migraine: an alternative point of view with therapeutic implication. Headache 1991, 31:546–549. CrossRef
- Saper JR, Lake AE, Tepper SJ: Nefazodone for chronic daily headache prophylaxis: an open-label study. Headache 2001, 41:465–474. CrossRef
- Anthony M, Lance JW: Monoamine oxidase: Inhibition in the treatment of migraine. Arch Neurol 1969, 21:263–268.
- Turkewitz LJ, Casaly JS, Dawson GA, Wirth O: Phenelzine therapy for headache patients with concomitant depression and anxiety. Headache 1992, 32:203–207. CrossRef
- Breslau N, Davis GC, Schultz LR, et al.: Migraine and major depression: a longitudinal study. Headache 1994, 7:387–393. CrossRef
- Adelman LC, Adelman JU, Von Seggern R, Mannix LK: Venlafaxine extended release for the prophylaxis of migraine and tension-type headache: a retrospective study in a clinical setting. Headache 20
- Antidepressants in the treatment of migraine headache
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 51-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links