Symptoms and therapies: Exertional and sexual headaches
- Luiz Paulo Queiroz MD, MSc
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article discusses the headache disorders associated with physical and sexual activity, highlighting their differences and similarities. The place of exertional and sexual headaches in the classification of the International Headache Society and in the proposed classification of Indomethacin-Responsive Headache Disorders is addressed here. The Valsalva’s maneuver as a shared pathophysiologic mechanism is mentioned as well.
Exertional headaches are divided into two subtypes, according to the pattern of physical exercises. Sexual headaches are divided into three subtypes, based on the onset time, related to orgasm. The clinical characteristics of each type are presented, and their etiologies pointed out. The diagnostic approach is discussed, as well as the nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic treatment options.
- Tinel J: Un syndrome d’algie veineuse intracranienne. La cephalee a l’effort. Prat Med Fr 1932, 13:113–119.
- Symonds C: Cough headache. Brain 1956, 79:557–568. CrossRef
- Rooke ED: Benign exertional headache. Med Clin North Am 1968, 52:801–808.
- Kriz K: Coitus as a factor in the pathogenesis of neurological complications. Cesk Neurol Neurochir 1970, 33:162–167.
- Rasmussen BK: Epidemiology of headache. Cephalalgia 1995, 15:45–68.
- Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society [no authors listed]. Cephalalgia 1988, 8(suppl 7):1-96.
- Queiroz LP: Cefaleias indometacina-responsivas. Rev Neurociencias 1998, 6:47–51. This article has a practical review of indomethacin-responsive headache disorders. A classification for this syndrome was proposed [in Portuguese].
- Calandre L, Hernandez-Lain A, Lopez-Valdes E: Benign Valsalva’s maneuver-related headache: an MRI study of six cases. Headache 1996, 36:251–253. The eponym "benign Valsalva’s maneuver-related headache" was first suggested, for all types of exertional headaches. CrossRef
- D’Onofrio H, Saavedra EJ, Otero S, et al.: Coughing headache syndrome and internal jugular valves competency. Neurology 2000, 54(suppl 3):A129-A130.
- Sands GH, Newman L, Lipton R: Cough, exertional, and other miscellaneous headaches. Med Clin North Am 1991, 75:733–747. A classical and comprehensive review of exertional and sexual headaches, including some pathophysiologic theories.
- Paulson GW: Weightlifters headache. Headache 1983, 23:193–194. CrossRef
- Indo T, Takahashi A: Swimmer’s migraine. Headache 1990, 30:485–487. CrossRef
- Massey EW: Effort headache in runners. Headache 1982, 22:99–100. CrossRef
- Pascual J, Iglesias F, Oterino A, et al.: Cough, exertional, and sexual headaches: an analysis of 72 benign and symptomatic cases. Neurology 1996, 46:1520–1524. A large series of patients with exertional and sexual headaches, with a good description of their clinical characteristics.
- Diamond S: Prolonged benign exertional headache: its clinical characteristics and response to indomethacin. Headache 1982, 22:96–98. CrossRef
- Silbert PL, Edis RH, Stewart-Wynne EG, Gubbay SS: Benign vascular sexual headache and exertional headache: interrelationship and long term prognosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1991, 54:417–421. CrossRef
- Lipton RB, Lowonkopf T, Bajwa ZH, et al.: Cardiac cephalgia: a treatable form of exertional headache. Neurology 1997, 49:813–816. Two cases of this interesting subtype of exertional headache were described, with a review of the literature.
- Ostergaard JR, Kraft M: Benign coital headache. Cephalalgia 1992, 12:353–355. CrossRef
- Akpunonu BE, Ahrens J: Sexual headaches: case report, review, and treatment with calcium blocker. Headache 1991, 31:141–145. CrossRef
- Lambert Jr RW, Burnet DL: Prevention of exercise induced migraine by quantitative warm-up. Headache 1985, 25:317–319. CrossRef
- Symptoms and therapies: Exertional and sexual headaches
Current Pain and Headache Reports
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 275-278
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Clinica do Cerebro, Rua Presidente Coutinho, 464, 88015-231, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil