Intravenous Zoledronic Acid: What Are the Indications for Male Osteoporosis?
- Michael Maricic
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Osteoporosis and fractures are under-recognized and undertreated, both in men and women worldwide. Male osteoporosis is not the epidemic problem that female osteoporosis is; however, the National Osteoporosis Foundation estimates that over 14 million American men have osteoporosis or low bone mass, and approximately 25% to 30% of all hip fractures occur in male individuals who incur greater morbidity and mortality than their female counterparts. Until recently, alendronate, risedronate, and teriparatide were the only pharmacologic agents approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for treating male osteoporosis. In December 2008, zoledronic acid was approved for “treatment to increase bone mass in men with osteoporosis.” In 2009, zoledronic acid was also approved for “treatment and prevention of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis in patients (both men and women) expected to be on glucocorticoids for at least 12 months.”
- National Osteoporosis Foundation: Advocacy News and Updates—America’s Bone Health: The State of Osteoporosis and Low Bone Mass. Available at http://www.nof.org/advocacy/prevalence/index.htm. Accessed January 2010.
- NIH Consensus Development Panel on Osteoporosis Prevention, Diagnosis and Therapy: Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. JAMA 2001, 285:785–795. CrossRef
- Melton LJ 3rd, Atkinson EJ, O’Connor MK, et al.: Bone density and fracture risk in men. J Bone Miner Res 1998, 13:1915–1923. CrossRef
- Jones G, Nguyen T, Sambrook PN, et al.: Symptomatic fracture incidence in elderly men and women: the Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study (DOES). Osteoporos Int 1994, 4:277–282. CrossRef
- Cooper C Campion G, Melton LJ III: Hip fractures in the elderly: a world-wide projection. Osteoporos Int 1992, 2:285–289. CrossRef
- Center JR, Nguyen TV, Schneider D, et al.: Mortality after all major types of osteoporotic fractures in men and women: an observational study. Lancet 1999, 76:235–242.
- Tosteson AN: Economic impact of fractures. In Osteoporosis in Men: The Effects of Gender on Skeletal Health. Edited by Orwoll ES. San Diego: Academic Press; 1999:15–27.
- Melton LJ III: Who has osteoporosis? A conflict between clinical and public health perspectives. J Bone Miner Res 2000, 15:2309–2314. CrossRef
- Keibzac G, Beinart GA, Perser K, et al.: Undertreatment of osteoporosis in men with hip fracture. Arch Intern Med 2002, 162:2217–2222. CrossRef
- Forsen L, Sogaard AJ, Meyer HE, et al.: Survival after hip fracture: short- and long-term excess mortality according to age and gender. Osteoporos Int 1999, 10:73–78. CrossRef
- • Ebeling PR: Osteoporosis in men. N Engl J Med 2008, 358:1474–1482. This is an excellent recent review of the diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis in men. CrossRef
- Bilezikian JP: Osteoporosis in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999, 84:3431–3434. CrossRef
- Grisso JA, Kelsey JL, O’Brien LA, et al.: Risk factors for hip fracture in men. Hip Fracture Study Group. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 145:786–793.
- Eastell R, Boyle IT, Compston J, et al.: Management of male osteoporosis: report of UK Consensus Group. QJM 1998, 91:71–76. CrossRef
- Selby PL, Davies M, Adams JE: Do men and women fracture bones at similar bone densities? Osteoporos Int 2000, 11:153–157. CrossRef
- Orwoll E: Assessing bone density in men. J Bone Miner Res 2000, 15:1867–1870. CrossRef
- Binkley NC, Schmeer P, Wasnich RD, et al.: What are the criteria by which a densitometric diagnosis of osteoporosis can be made in males and non-Caucasians?. J Clin Densitom 2002, 5(Suppl):S19–S27. CrossRef
- National Osteoporosis Foundation: Clinicians Guide to Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis. Available at http://www.nof.org/professionals/NOF_Clinicians_Guide.pdf. Accessed March 12, 2008.
- Tang BM, Eslick GD, Nowson C, et al.: Use of calcium or calcium in combination with vitamin D supplementation to prevent fractures and bone loss in people aged 50 years and older: a meta analysis. Lancet 2007, 370:657–666. CrossRef
- Snyder PJ, Peachey H, Berlin JA, et al.: Effects of testosterone replacement in hypogonadal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000, 85:2670–2677. CrossRef
- Orwoll E, Ettinger M, Weiss S, et al.: Alendronate for the treatment of osteoporosis in men. N Engl J Med 2000, 343:604–610. CrossRef
- Orwoll ES, Scheele WH, Paul S, et al.: The effect of teriparatide (human parathyroid hormone (1-34) on bone density in men with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2003, 18:9–17. CrossRef
- Boonen S, Orwoll ES, Wenderoth D, et al.: Once-weekly risedronate in men with osteoporosis: results of a 2-year,placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter study. J Bone Miner Res 2009, 24:719–725. CrossRef
- Reclast [package insert]. East Hanover, NJ: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp.; 2008.
- Green JR, Rogers MJ: Pharmacological profile of zoledronic acid: a highly potent inhibitor of bone resorption. Drug Dev Res 2002, 55:210–224. CrossRef
- •• Black DM, Delmas PD, Eastell R, et al.: Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2007, 356:1809–1822. This is a pivotal trial demonstrating zoledronic acid’s ability to reduce fractures in women, which served as the basis for trials in other special populations, including men. CrossRef
- Lyles KW, Colón-Emeric CS, Magaziner JS, et al. : Zoledronic acid and clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture. N Engl J Med 2007, 357:1799–1809. CrossRef
- Reid DM, Devogelaer JP, Saag K, et al.: Zoledronic acid and risedronate in the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis (HORIZON): a multicentre, double-blind, double-dummy randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009, 373:1253–1263. CrossRef
- McClung M, Recker R, Miller P, et al.: Intravenous zoledronic acid 5 mg in the treatment of postmenopausal women with low bone density previously treated with alendronate. Bone 2007, 41:122–128. CrossRef
- Khosla S, Burr D, Cauley J, et al.: Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: report of a task force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22:1479–1491. CrossRef
- Siris ES, Harris ST, Rosen CJ, et al.: Adherence to bisphosphonate therapy and fracture rates in osteoporotic women: relationship to vertebral and nonvertebral fractures from 2 US claims databases. Mayo Clin Proc 2006, 81:1013–1022. CrossRef
- Intravenous Zoledronic Acid: What Are the Indications for Male Osteoporosis?
Current Osteoporosis Reports
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 4-9
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Bone density
- Zoledronic acid
- Industry Sectors
- Michael Maricic (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Catalina Pointe Clinical Research, Inc., 5501 North Oracle Road, Suite 161, Tucson, AZ, 85704, USA