Combination anabolic and antiresorptive therapy for osteoporosis: Opening the anabolic window
- John P. Bilezikian
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Antiresorptive agents for osteoporosis are a cornerstone of therapy, but anabolic drugs have recently increased our options. By stimulating bone formation, anabolic agents reduce fracture incidence by improving bone qualities in addition to increasing bone mass. The only anabolic agent currently approved for osteoporosis by the US Food and Drug Administration, teriparatide (recombinant human parathyroid hormone [1–34]), has emerged as a major approach to selected patients with osteoporosis. Recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1–84) is also available in Europe. Teriparatide increases bone density and bone turnover, improves microarchitecture, and changes bone size. The incidence of vertebral and nonvertebral fractures is reduced. A current concept in the mechanism of teriparatide action is related to its effect to stimulate processes associated with bone formation before it stimulates processes associated with bone resorption. This sequence of events has led to the concept of the anabolic window, the period of time when teriparatide is maximally anabolic. Newer approaches to the use of teriparatide alone and in combination with antiresorptive agents have led to ways in which the anabolic window can be expanded.
- Hodsman AB, Bauer DC, Dempster D, et al.: Parathyroid hormone and teriparatide for the treatment of osteoporosis: a review of the evidence and suggested guidelines for its use. Endocr Rev 2005, 26:688–703. CrossRef
- Canalis E, Giustina A, Bilezikian JP: Mechanisms of anabolic therapies for osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2007, 357:905–916. CrossRef
- Dempster DW, Parisien M, Silverberg SJ, et al.: On the mechanism of cancellous bone preservation in postmenopausal women with mild primary hyperparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999, 84:1562–1566. CrossRef
- Girotra M, Rubin M, Bilezikian J: The use of parathyroid hormone in the treatment of osteoporosis. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 2006, 7:113–121. CrossRef
- Jiang Y, Zhao JJ, Mitlak BH, et al.: Recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1–34) [teriparatide] improves both cortical and cancellous bone structure. J Bone Miner Res 2003, 18:1932–1941. CrossRef
- Sellmeyer DE, Black DM, Palermo L, et al.: Heterogeneity in skeletal response to full-length parathyroid hormone (PTH) in the treatment of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 2007, 18:973–979. CrossRef
- Burr DB, Hirano T, Turner CH, et al.: Intermittently administered human parathyroid hormone(1–34) treatment increases intracortical bone turnover and porosity without reducing bone strength in the humerus of ovariectomized cynomolgus monkeys. J Bone Miner Res 2001, 16:157–165. CrossRef
- Keaveny TM, Hoffman PE, Kepperdahl, et al.: Comparison of the effects of teriparatide and alendronate on parameters of total hip strength as assessed by finite element analysis [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22(Suppl 1):S26.
- Borggrefe J, Graeff C, Nickelsen TN, et al.: Effects of 2 year teriparatide treatment on 3-D femoral neck bone distribution, geometry, and bone strength: results from the EUROFORS study [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22(Suppl 1):S75.
- Parfitt AM: Parathyroid hormone and periosteal bone expansion. J Bone Miner Res 2002, 17:1741–1743. CrossRef
- Zanchetta JR, Bogado CE, Ferretti JL, et al.: Effects of teriparatide [recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1–34)] on cortical bone in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2003, 18:539–543. CrossRef
- Lindsay R, Silverman SL, Cooper C, et al.: Risk of new vertebral fracture in the year following a fracture. JAMA 2001, 285:320–323. CrossRef
- Neer RM, Arnaud CD, Zanchetta JR, et al.: Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2001, 344:1434–1441. CrossRef
- Gallagher JC, Genant HK, Crans GG, et al.: Teriparatide reduces the fracture risk associated with increasing number and severity of osteoporotic fractures. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005, 90:1583–1587. CrossRef
- Marcus R, Wang O, Satterwhite J, Mitlak B: The skeletal response to teriparatide is largely independent of age, initial bone mineral density, and prevalent vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2003, 18:18–23. CrossRef
- Prince R, Sipos A, Hossain A, et al.: Sustained nonvertebral fragility fracture risk reduction after discontinuation of teriparatide treatment. J Bone Miner Res 2005, 20:1507–1513. CrossRef
- Hodsman AB, Hanley DA, Ettinger MP, et al.: Efficacy and safety of human parathyroid hormone-(1–84) in increasing bone mineral density in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003, 88:5212–5220. CrossRef
- Fox J, Miller MA, Recker RR, et al.: Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporotic women with parathyroid hormone 1–84 for 18 months increases cancellous bone formation and improves cancellous architecture: a study of iliac crest biopsies using histomorphometry and micro computed tomography. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2005, 5:356–357.
- Greenspan SL, Bone HG, Ettinger MP, et al.: Effect of recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1–84) on vertebral fracture and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2007, 146:326–339.
- Antoniucci DM, Sellmeyer DE, Bilezikian JP, et al.: Elevations in serum and urinary calcium with parathyroid hormone (1–84) with and without alendronate for osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007, 92:942–947. CrossRef
- Kurland ES, Cosman F, McMahon DJ, et al.: Parathyroid hormone as a therapy for idiopathic osteoporosis in men: effects on bone mineral density and bone markers. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000, 85:3069–3076. CrossRef
- Orwoll ES, Scheele WH, Paul S, et al.: The effect of teriparatide [human parathyroid hormone (1–34)] therapy on bone density in men with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2003, 18:9–17. CrossRef
- Kaufman JM, Orwoll E, Goemaere S, et al.: Teriparatide effects on vertebral fractures and bone mineral density in men with osteoporosis: treatment and discontinuation of therapy. Osteoporos Int 2004, 16:510–516. CrossRef
- Cosman F, Nieves J, Woelfert L, et al.: Parathyroid hormone added to established hormone therapy: effects on vertebral fracture and maintenance of bone mass after parathyroid hormone withdrawal. J Bone Miner Res 2001, 16:925–931. CrossRef
- Ettinger B, San Martin J, Crans G, Pavo I: Differential effects of teriparatide on BMD after treatment with raloxifene or alendronate. J Bone Miner Res 2004, 19:745–751. CrossRef
- Cosman F, Nieves J, Zion M, et al.: Daily and cyclic parathyroid hormone in women receiving alendronate. N Engl J Med 2005, 353:566–575. CrossRef
- Miller P, Lindsay R, Watts N, et al.: Patients previously treated with risedronate demonstrate greater responsiveness to teriparatide than those previously treated with alendronate: the Optamise trial. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22(Suppl 1):S26.
- Delmas P, Watts N, Miller P, et al.: Bone turnover markers demonstrate greater earlier responsiveness to teriparatide following treatment with risedronate compared with alendronate: the Optamise study. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22(Suppl 1):S27.
- Black DM, Greenspan SL, Ensrud KE, et al.: The effects of parathyroid hormone and alendronate alone or in combination in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2003, 349:1207–1215. CrossRef
- Finkelstein JS, Hayes A, Hunzelman JL, et al.: The effects of parathyroid hormone, alendronate, or both in men with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2003, 349:1216–1226. CrossRef
- Deal C, Omizo M, Schwartz EN, et al.: Combination teriparatide and raloxifene therapy for postmenopausal osteoporosis: results from a 6-month double-blind placebocontrolled trial. J Bone Miner Res 2005, 20:1905–1911. CrossRef
- Misof BM, Roschger P, Cosman F, et al.: Effects of intermittent parathyroid hormone administration on bone mineralization density in iliac crest biopsies from patients with osteoporosis: a paired study before and after treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003, 88:1150–1156. CrossRef
- Lindsay R, Scheele WH, Neer R, et al.: Sustained vertebral fracture risk reduction after withdrawal of teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Arch Intern Med 2004, 164:2024–2030. CrossRef
- Kurland ES, Heller SL, Diamond B, et al.: The importance of bisphosphonate therapy in maintaining bone mass in men after therapy with teriparatide [human parathyroid hormone (1–34)]. Osteoporos Int 2004, 15:992–997. CrossRef
- Lindsay R, Nieves J, Formica C, et al.: Randomised controlled study of effect of parathyroid hormone on vertebral-bone mass and fracture incidence among postmenopausal women on oestrogen with osteoporosis. Lancet 1997, 350:550–555. CrossRef
- Lane NE, Sanchez S, Modin GW, et al.: Bone mass continues to increase at the hip after parathyroid hormone treatment is discontinued in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: results of a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Bone Miner Res 2000, 15:944–951. CrossRef
- Black DM, Bilezikian JP, Ensrud KE, et al.: One year of alendronate after one year of parathyroid hormone (1–84) for osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2005, 353:555–565. CrossRef
- Harper KD, Krege JH, Marcus R, Mitlak BH: Comments on initial experience with teriparatide in the United States. Curr Med Res Opin 2006, 22:1927. CrossRef
- Vahle JL, Long GG, Sandusky G, et al.: Bone neoplasms in F344 rats given teriparatide [rhPTH(1–34)] are dependent on duration of treatment and dose. Toxicol Pathol 2004, 32:426–438. CrossRef
- Jimenez C, Kim W, Al Sagier F, et al.: Primary hyperparathyroidism and osteosarcoma: examination of a large osteosarcoma cohort identifies unique characteristics. J Bone Miner Res 2003, 18(Suppl 2):LB6.
- Tashjian AH Jr, Gagel RF: Teriparatide [human PTH(1–34)]: 2.5 years of experience on the use and safety of the drug for the treatment of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2006, 21:354–365. CrossRef
- Harper KD, Krege JH, Marcus R, Mitlak BH: Osteosarcoma and teriparatide? J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22:334. CrossRef
- Levin G, Mazouz C: Transdermally-delivered PTH(1–34), a new treatment for osteoporotic patients: results of phase I studies. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22(Suppl 1):S324.
- Horwitz MJ, Tedesco MB, Gundberg C, et al.: Short-term, high-dose parathyroid hormone-related protein as a skeletal anabolic agent for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003, 88:569–575. CrossRef
- Black DM, Rosen CJ: Parsimony with PTH: is a single weekly injection of PTH superior to a larger cumulative dose given daily? J Bone Miner Res 2002, 17(Suppl 1):SA367.
- Ponnapakkam T, Matsushita O, Sakon J, Gensure RC: Weekly administration of a novel parathyroid hormone—collagen binding domain fusion protein increases bone mineral density by more than 15 percent in normal mice. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22(Suppl 1):S64.
- Cosman F, Nieves JW, Zion M, et al.: Effects of PTH rechallenge 1 year after the first PTH course in patients on long-term alendronate. J Bone Miner Res 2005, 20(Suppl 1):1079.
- Gowen M, Stroup GB, Dodds RA, et al.: Antagonizing the parathyroid calcium receptor stimulates parathyroid hormone secretion and bone formation in osteopenic rats. J Clin Invest 2000, 105:1595–1604. CrossRef
- Ethgen D, Danoff T, Schultz M, et al.: Antagonism of calcium sensing receptor stimulates dose-related release of endogenous parathyroid hormone in normal volunteers: a proof of concept study. J Bone Miner Res 2007, 22(Suppl 1):S128.
- Rubin MR, Bilezikian JP: New anabolic therapies in osteoporosis. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2003, 32:285–307. CrossRef
- Combination anabolic and antiresorptive therapy for osteoporosis: Opening the anabolic window
Current Osteoporosis Reports
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 24-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY, 10032, USA