Operative management of primary epithelial ovarian cancer
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Surgery plays an integral part in the primary management of early-stage and advanced-stage epithelial ovarian cancer. Surgical staging is essential for disease grossly confined to the ovaries or pelvis. Comprehensive surgical staging often results in upstaging of patients who were presumed to be at an early stage. Accurate staging has an impact on prognosis and treatment strategies. Optimal surgical cytoreduction leads to improved outcomes in patients with advanced disease; before initiation of chemotherapy, it offers the most favorable outcome and should be offered to all patients. Intraperitoneal catheters for postoperative chemotherapy instillation may be offered and placed at the time of cytoreduction. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy and interval cytoreduction are a possibility for patients who are not amenable to an optimal cytoreduction based on preoperative findings or in those who are at extremely high risk for surgery.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P: Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005, 55:74–108. CrossRef
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al.: Cancer statistics, 2007. CA Cancer J Clin 2007, 57:43–66.
- Heintz AP, Odicino F, Maisonneuve P, et al.: Carcinoma of the ovary. J Epidemiol Biostat 2001, 6:107–138.
- Hoskins WJ: Surgical staging and cytoreductive surgery of epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer 1993, 71:1534–1540.
- Tingulstad S, Skjeldestad FE, Hagen B: The effect of centralization of primary surgery on survival in ovarian cancer patients. Obstet Gynecol 2003, 102:499–505. CrossRef
- Aletti GD, Gostout BS, Podratz KC, Cliby WA: Ovarian cancer surgical resectability: relative impact of disease, patient status, and surgeon. Gynecol Oncol 2006, 100:33–37. CrossRef
- Earle CC, Schrag D, Neville BA, et al.: Effect of surgeon specialty on processes of care and outcomes for ovarian cancer patients. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006, 98:172–180. CrossRef
- Schilder JM, Thompson AM, DePriest PD, et al.: Outcome of reproductive age women with stage IA or IC invasive epithelial ovarian cancer treated with fertility-sparing therapy. Gynecol Oncol 2002, 87:1–7. CrossRef
- Benjamin I, Morgan MA, Rubin SC: Occult bilateral involvement in stage I epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 1999, 72:288–291. CrossRef
- Young RC, Decker DG, Wharton JT, et al.: Staging laparotomy in early ovarian cancer. JAMA 1983, 250:3072–3076. CrossRef
- Le T, Adolph A, Krepart GV, et al.: The benefits of comprehensive surgical staging in the management of early-stage epithelial ovarian carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 2002, 85:351–355. CrossRef
- Petru E, Lahousen M, Tamussino K, et al.: Lymphadenectomy in stage I ovarian cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994, 170:656–662.
- Cass I, Li AJ, Runowicz CD, et al.: Pattern of lymph node metastases in clinically unilateral stage I invasive epithelial ovarian carcinomas. Gynecol Oncol 2001, 80:56–61. CrossRef
- Tsumura N, Sakuragi N, Hareyama H, et al.: Distribution pattern and risk factors of pelvic and para-aortic lymph node metastasis in epithelial ovarian carcinoma. Int J Cancer (Pred Oncol) 1998, 79:526–530. CrossRef
- Trimbos JB, Vergote I, Bolis G, et al.: Impact of adjuvant chemotherapy and surgical staging in early-stage ovarian carcinoma: European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer — adjuvant chemotherapy in ovarian neoplasm trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003, 95:113–125.
- Arango HA, Hoffman MS, Riberts WS, et al.: Accuracy of lymph node palpation to determine need for lymphadenectomy in gynecologic malignancies. Obstet Gynecol 2000, 95:553–556. CrossRef
- Eltabbakh GH: Intraoperative clinical evaluation of lymph nodes in women with gynecologic cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2001, 184:1177–1181. CrossRef
- Chi DS, Abu-Rustum NR, Sonoda Y, et al.: The safety and efficacy of laparoscopic surgical staging of apparent stage I ovarian and fallopian tube cancers. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005, 192:1614–1619. CrossRef
- Juretzka MM, Abu-Rustum NR, Sonoda Y, et al.: The impact of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) in patients with suspected advanced ovarian malignancies and pleural effusions. Gynecol Oncol 2007, 104:670–674. CrossRef
- Norton L: Theoretical concepts and the emerging role of taxanes in adjuvant therapy. Oncologist 2001, 6(Suppl 3):30–35. CrossRef
- Goldie JH, Coldman JA: A mathematical model for relating the drug sensitivity of tumors to their spontaneous mutation rate. Cancer Treat Rep 1979, 63:1727–1733.
- Boente MP, Chi DS, Hoskins WJ: The role of surgery in the management of ovarian cancer: primary and interval cytoreductive surgery. Semin Oncol 1998, 25:326–334.
- Griffiths CT: Surgical resection of tumor bulk in the primary treatment of ovarian carcinoma. Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 1975, 42:101–104.
- Hoskins WJ, McGuire WP, Brady MF, et al.: The effect of diameter of largest residual disease on survival after primary cytoreductive surgery in patients with suboptimal residual epithelial ovarian carcinoma. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994, 170:974–980.
- Chi DS, Eisenhauer EL, Lang J, et al.: What is the optimal goal of primary cytoreductive surgery for bulky stage IIIC epithelial ovarian carcinoma (EOC)? Gynecol Oncol 2006, 103:559–564. CrossRef
- Crawford SC, Vasey PA, Paul J, et al.: Does aggressive surgery only benefit patients with less advanced ovarian cancer? Results from an international comparison within the SCOTROC-1 trial. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:8802–8811. CrossRef
- Covens AL: A critique of surgical cytoreduction in advanced ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2000, 78:269–274. CrossRef
- Bristow RE, Tomacruz RS, Armstrong DK, et al.: Survival effect of maximal cytoreductive surgery for advanced ovarian carcinoma during the platinum era: a meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol 2002, 20:1248–1259. CrossRef
- Chi DS, Franklin CC, Levine DA, et al.: Improved optimal cytoreduction rates for stages IIIC and IV epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, and primary peritoneal cancer: a change in surgical approach. Gynecol Oncol 2004, 94:650–654. CrossRef
- Eisenhauer EL, Abu-Rustum NR, Sonoda Y, et al.: The addition of extensive upper abdominal surgery to achieve optimal cytoreduction improves survival in patients with stages IIIC–IV epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2006, 103:1083–1090. CrossRef
- Aletti GD, Dowdy SC, Gostout BS, et al.: Aggressive surgical effort and improved survival in advanced-stage ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol 2006, 107:77–85.
- Chi DS, Eisenhauer EL, Sonoda Y, et al.: Improved overall survival for patients with advanced ovarian, tubal, and primary peritoneal carcinoma as a result of a change in surgical approach: a follow-up study. J Clin Oncol 2007, 25:281S. CrossRef
- Armstrong DK, Bundy B, Wenzel L, et al.: Intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 2006, 354:34–43. CrossRef
- Leitao MM Jr, Chi DS: Cytoreductive surgery for ovarian cancer. Postgrad Obstet Gynecol 2004, 24:1–8.
- Bristow RE, Montz FJ, Lagasse LE, et al.: Survival impact of surgical cytoreduction in stage IV epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 1999, 72:278–287. CrossRef
- Aletti GD, Dowdy SC, Podratz KC, Cliby WA: Analysis of factors impacting operability in stage IV ovarian cancer: rationale use of a triage system. Gynecol Oncol 2007, 105:84–89. CrossRef
- Vergote I, Van Gorp T, Amant F, et al.: Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. Oncology 2005, 19:1615–1622.
- Bristow RE, Chi DS: Platinum-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy and interval surgical cytoreduction for advanced ovarian cancer: a meta-analysis. Gynecol Oncol 2006, 103:1070–1076. CrossRef
- McGuire WP, Hoskins WJ, Brady MF, et al.: Cyclophosphamide and cisplatin compared with paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with stage III and stage IV ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 1996, 334:1–6. CrossRef
- van der Burg MEL, van Lent M, Buyse M, et al.: The effect of debulking surgery after induction chemotherapy on the prognosis in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 1995, 332:629–634. CrossRef
- Rose PG, Nerenstone S, Brady MF, et al.: Secondary surgical cytoreduction for advanced ovarian carcinoma. N Engl J Med 2004, 351:2489–2497. CrossRef
- Operative management of primary epithelial ovarian cancer
Current Oncology Reports
Volume 9, Issue 6 , pp 478-484
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links