New treatments for chronic lymphocytic leukemia
- Asher A. Chanan-Khan MD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An enhanced understanding of the important pathways governing chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) cell survival and the critical role played by the microenvironment in the pathogenesis of the disease has brought new opportunities for drug development in CLL. Several new targets have been identified, and novel agents are under intense investigation in clinical trials. Some of these agents are already demonstrating promising anti-CLL activity on their own, whereas others hold promise in combination with existing therapeutic options. As the use of monoclonal antibodies for chemoimmunotherapy becomes standard clinical practice, the future holds promise for concurrent targeting of the tumor cell as well as its microenvironment.
- Burger JA, Tsukada N, Burger M, et al.: Blood-derived nurse-like cells protect chronic lymphocytic leukemia B cells from spontaneous apoptosis through stromal cell-derived factor-1. Blood 2000, 96:2655–2663.
- Orsini E, Fao R: Cytokines and soluble molecules in CLL. In Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: Molecular Genetics, Biology, Diagnosis, and Management. Edited by Faguet G. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press: 2005:123–142.
- Zaknoen SL, Kay NE: Immunoregulatory cell dysfunction in chronic B-cell leukemias. Blood Rev 1990, 4:165–174. CrossRef
- Johnston PB, Kay N: Pathogenesis of impaired cellular immune function in CLL. In Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: Molecular Genetics, Biology, Diagnosis, and Management. Edited by Faguet G. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press: 2005:109–121.
- Kay NE, Bone ND, Tschumper RC, et al.: B-CLL cells are capable of synthesis and secretion of both pro-and antiangiogenic molecules. Leukemia 2002, 16:911–919. CrossRef
- Hoffbrand AV, Panayiotidis P, Reittie J, et al.: Autocrine and paracrine growth loops in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Semin Hematol 1993, 30:306–317.
- Reittie JE, Yong KL, Panayiotidis P, et al.: Interleukin-6 inhibits apoptosis and tumor necrosis factor induced proliferation of B-chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Leuk Lymphoma 1996, 22:83–90. CrossRef
- Zaninoni A, Imperiali FG, Pasquini C, et al.: Cytokine modulation of nuclear factor-kappaB activity in B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Exp Hematol 2003, 31:185–190. CrossRef
- Kiaii S, Choudhury A, Mozaffari F, et al.: Signaling molecules and cytokine production in T cells of patients with B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL): comparison of indolent and progressive disease. Med Oncol 2005, 22:291–302. CrossRef
- Cheson B, Bennett J, Grever M, et al.: National Cancer Institute-sponsored Working Group guidelines for chronic lymphocytic leukemia: revised guidelines for diagnosis and treatment. Blood 1996, 87:4990–4997.
- Byrd JC, Peterson BL, Morrison VA, et al.: Randomized phase 2 study of fludarabine with concurrent versus sequential treatment with rituximab in symptomatic, untreated patients with B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukenia: results from Cancer and Leukemia Group B 9712 (CALGB 9712). Blood 2003, 101:6–14. CrossRef
- Keating MJ, O’Brien S, Albitar M, et al.: Early results of a chemoimmunotherapy regimen of fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab as initial therapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:4079–4088. CrossRef
- Byrd JC, Rai K, Peterson BL, et al.: The addition of rituximab to fludarabine may prolong progression-free survival and overall survival in patients with previously untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia: an updated retrospective comparative analysis of CALGB 9712 and CALGB 9011. Blood 2005, 105:49–53. CrossRef
- Schriever F, Huhn D: New directions in the diagnosis and treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Drugs 2003, 63:953–969. CrossRef
- Weiss MA, Maslak PG, Jurcic JG, et al.: Pentostatin and cyclophosphamide: an effective new regimen in previously treated patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2003, 21:1278–1284. CrossRef
- Oken MM, Lee S, Kay NE, et al.: Pentostatin, chlorambucil and prednisone therapy for B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a phase I/II study by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group study E1488. Leuk Lymphoma 2004, 45:79–84. CrossRef
- Lamanna N, Kalaycio M, Maslak P, et al.: Pentostatin, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab is an active, well-tolerated regimen for patients with previously treated chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2006, 24:1575–1581. CrossRef
- Kay NE, Geyer SM, Call TG, et al.: Combination chemoimmunotherapy with pentostatin, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab shows significant clinical activity with low accompanying toxicity in previously untreated B chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2007, 109:405–411. CrossRef
- Sedlacek HH: Mechanisms of action of flavopiridol. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2001, 38:139–170. CrossRef
- Chen R, Keating MJ, Gandhi V, et al.: Transcription inhibition by flavopiridol: mechanism of chronic lymphocytic leukemia cell death. Blood 2005, 106:2513–2519. CrossRef
- Kitada S, Zapata JM, Andreeff M, et al.: Protein kinase inhibitors flavopiridol and 7-hydroxy-staurosporine down-regulate antiapoptosis proteins in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 2000, 96:393–397.
- Thornton PD, Gruszka-Westwood AM, Hamoudi RA, et al.: Characterisation of TP53 abnormalities in chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Hematol J 2004, 5:47–54. CrossRef
- Lozanski G, Heerema NA, Flinn IW, et al.: Alemtuzumab is an effective therapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia with p53 mutations and deletions. Blood 2004, 103:3278–3281. CrossRef
- Flinn IW, Byrd JC, Bartlett N, et al.: Flavopiridol administered as a 24-hour continuous infusion in chronic lymphocytic leukemia lacks clinical activity. Leuk Res 2005, 29:1253–1257. CrossRef
- Byrd JC, Peterson BL, Gabrilove J, et al.: Treatment of relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia by 72-hour continuous infusion or 1-hour bolus infusion of flavopiridol: results from Cancer and Leukemia Group B study 19805. Clin Cancer Res 2005, 11:4176–4181. CrossRef
- Byrd JC, Lin TS, Dalton JT, et al.: Flavopiridol administered using a pharmacologically derived schedule is associated with marked clinical efficacy in refractory, genetically high-risk chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 2007, 109:399–404. CrossRef
- Wang HG, Reed JC: Mechanisms of Bcl-2 protein function. Histol Histopathol 1998, 13:521–530.
- O’Brien SM, Cunningham CC, Golenkov AK, et al.: Phase I to II multicenter study of oblimersen sodium, a Bcl-2 antisense oligonucleotide, in patients with advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:7697–7702. CrossRef
- O’Brien S, Moore JO, Boyd TE, et al.: Randomized phase III trial of fludarabine plus cyclophosphamide with or without oblimersen sodium (Bcl-2 antisense) in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2007, 25:1114–1120. CrossRef
- Mavromatis B, Rai K, Wallace P, et al.: Efficacy and safety of the combination of Genasense (Oblimersen Sodium, Bcl-2 Antisense Oligonucleotide), fludarabine and rituximab in previously treated and untreated subjects with chronic lymphocytic leukemia [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting. Atlanta, GA. Blood 2005, 106:2129.
- James D, Mervis R, Mosadeghi R, et al.: AT-101, a pan-Inhibitor of Bcl-2 family anti-apoptotic proteins antagonizes the protective effect conferred by nurse-like cells on primary chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL. Blood 2006, 108:2100.
- Castro J, Olivier L, Robier A, et al.: A Phase II, open label study of AT-101 in combination with rituximab in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting Orlando, FL Blood 2006, 108:2838.
- Byrd J, Flinn I, Khan K, et al.: Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics from a first-in-human phase 1 dose escalation study with antagonist anti-CD40 antibody, HCD122 (Formerly CHIR-12.12), in patients with relapsed and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL. Blood 2006, 108:2838.
- Roué G, López-Guerra M, Milpied P, et al.: Activity of Bendamustine (TREANDA) in Chronic lymphocytic leukemia and mantle cell lymphoma cells with alterations in DNA damage response pathway [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology. Orlando, FL. Blood 2006, 108:2510.
- Bergmann MA, Goebeler ME, Herold M, et al.: Efficacy of bendamustine in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: results of a phase I/II study of the German CLL Study Group. Haematologica 2005, 90:1357–1364.
- Coiffier B, Tilly H, Pedersen L, et al.: Significant correlation between survival endpoints and exposure to ofatumumab (HuMax-CD20) in chronic lymphocytic leukemia [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL. Blood 2006, 108:2842.
- Byrd J, Castro J, O’Brien S, et al.: Comparison of results from a phase 1/2 study of lumiliximab (Anti-CD23) in combination with FCR for patients with relapsed CLL with published FCR results [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL. Blood 2006, 108:32.
- Wierda W, O’Brien S, Wen S, et al.: Chemoimmunotherapy with fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab for relapsed and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:4070–4078. CrossRef
- Richardson PG, Blood E, Mitsiades CS, et al.: A randomized phase 2 study of lenalidomide therapy for patients with relapsed or relapsed and refractory multiple myeloma. Blood 2006, 108:3458–3464. CrossRef
- List A, Dewald G, Bennett J, et al.: Lenalidomide in the myelodysplastic syndrome with chromosome 5q deletion. N Engl J Med 2006, 355:1456–1465. CrossRef
- Chanan-Khan A, Porter CW: Immunomodulating drugs for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Lancet Oncol 2006, 7:480–488. CrossRef
- Chanan-Khan A, Miller KC, Takeshita K, et al.: Results of a phase 1 clinical trial of thalidomide in combination with fludarabine as initial therapy for patients with treatment-requiring chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Blood 2005, 106:3348–3352. CrossRef
- Kay N, Geyer S, Yaqoob I, et al.: Thalidomide treatment in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL): A north central cancer treatment group (NCCTG) study [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting. San Diego CA. Blood 2003, 102:5162.
- Furman R, Leonard J, Allen S, et al.: Thalidomide alone or in combination with fludarabine are effective treatments for patients with fludarabine-relapsed and refractory CLL. J Clin Oncol 2005:6640.
- Bartlett JB, Tozer A, Stirling D, et al.: Recent clinical studies of the immunomodulatory drug (IMiD) lenalidomide. Br J Cancer 2005, 93:613–619. CrossRef
- Dredge K, Horsfall R, Robinson SP, et al.: Orally administered lenalidomide (CC-5013) is anti-angiogenic in vivo and inhibits endothelial cell migration and Akt phosphorylation in vitro. Microvasc Res 2005, 69:56–63. CrossRef
- Chanan-Khan A, Miller KC, Musial L, et al.: Clinical efficacy of lenalidomide in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: results of a phase II study. J Clin Oncol 2006, 24:5343–5349. CrossRef
- Ferrajoli A, O’Brien S, Faderl S, et al.: Lenalidomide induces complete and partial responses in patients with relapsed and treatment-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia [abstract]. Presented at the American Society of Hematology. Orlando, FL Blood 2006, 108:305.
- Castro JE, Prada CE, Loria O, et al.: ZAP-70 is a novel conditional heat shock protein 90 (Hsp90) client: inhibition of Hsp90 leads to ZAP-70 degradation, apoptosis, and impaired signaling in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 2005, 106:2506–2512. CrossRef
- New treatments for chronic lymphocytic leukemia
Current Oncology Reports
Volume 9, Issue 5 , pp 353-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY, 14263, USA