Historical progress in the initial management of ovarian cancer: Intraperitoneal chemotherapy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Despite measured improvement in survival with the introduction of the platinates and taxanes in treatment of advanced ovarian cancer, little additional progress has been made with conventional cytotoxic agents. Recently, the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) published data from a study evaluating the merits of intraperitoneal chemotherapy in women with advanced, optimally cytoreduced ovarian cancer. They documented a significant advantage in progression-free and overall survival for the experimental regimen, a combination of intravenous paclitaxel and intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel, compared with standard intravenous cisplatin and paclitaxel chemotherapy. The intraperitoneal regimen was substantially more toxic and was associated with reduced short-term quality of life. The GOG trial joins six other published phase III trials since 1994 comparing intravenous with intraperitoneal chemotherapy in advanced-stage epithelial ovarian cancer. A recent meta-analysis suggests a 21% reduction in the hazard for progression (four studies) and death (seven studies). Reluctance to adopt a new standard of care is rooted in toxicity concerns. Further evaluation is warranted to clarify unanswered questions regarding administration schedule, agents, techniques, number of courses, and patient eligibility for intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al.: Cancer statistics, 2006. CA Cancer J Clin 2006, 56:106–130. CrossRef
- Soper JT, Johnson P, Johnson V, et al.: Comprehensive restaging laparotomy in women with apparent early ovarian carcinoma. Obstet Gynecol 1992, 80:949–953.
- Young RC, Decker DG, Wharton JT, et al.: Staging laparotomy in early ovarian cancer. JAMA 1983, 250:3072–3076. CrossRef
- Leblanc E, Querleu D, Narducci F, et al.: Surgical staging of early invasive epithelial ovarian tumors. Semin Surg Oncol 2000, 19:36–41. CrossRef
- Allen DG, Heintz AP, Touw FW: A meta-analysis of residual disease and survival in stage III and IV carcinoma of the ovary. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 1995, 16:349–356.
- Bristow RE, Tomacruz RS, Armstrong DK, et al.: Survival effect of maximal cytoreductive surgery for advanced ovarian carcinoma during the platinum era: a meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol 2002, 20:1248–1259. CrossRef
- Bristow RE: Surgical standards in the management of ovarian cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 2000, 12:474–480. CrossRef
- Earle CC, Schrag D, Neville BA, et al.: Effect of surgeon specialty on processes of care and outcomes for ovarian cancer patients. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006, 98:172–180. CrossRef
- Schrag D, Earle C, Xu F, et al.: Associations between hospital and surgeon procedure volumes and patient outcomes after ovarian cancer resection. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006, 98:163–171. CrossRef
- Markman M: Intraperitoneal antineoplastic agents for tumors principally confined to the peritoneal cavity. Cancer Treat Rev 1986, 13:219–242. CrossRef
- Markman M, Francis P, Rowinsky E, et al.: Intraperitoneal paclitaxel: a possible role in the management of ovarian cancer? Semin Oncol 22:84–7, 1995.
- McClay EF, Goel R, Andrews P, et al.: A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of intraperitoneal carboplatin and etoposide. Br J Cancer 68:783–8, 1993.
- McClay EF, Howell SB: A review: intraperitoneal cisplatin in the management of patients with ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 36:1–6, 1990. CrossRef
- Plaxe SC, Braly PS, Freddo JL, et al.: Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of intraperitoneal ormaplatin. Gynecol Oncol 51:72–7, 1993. CrossRef
- Plaxe SC, Christen RD, O’Quigley J, et al.: Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of intraperitoneal topotecan. Invest New Drugs 1998, 16:147–153. CrossRef
- Zylberberg B, Ravina JH, Salat-Baroux J, et al.: [Polychemotherapy of ovarian cancer via combined intravenous and intraperitoneal routes. Technic and preliminary results]. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 1986, 15:671–676.
- Kirmani S, Braly PS, McClay EF, et al.: A comparison of intravenous versus intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the initial treatment of ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 1994, 54:338–344. CrossRef
- Alberts DS, Liu PY, Hannigan EV, et al.: Intraperitoneal cisplatin plus intravenous cyclophosphamide versus intravenous cisplatin plus intravenous cyclophosphamide for stage III ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 1996, 335:1950–1955. CrossRef
- Polyzos A, Tsavaris N, Kosmas C, et al.: A comparative study of intraperitoneal carboplatin versus intravenous carboplatin with intravenous cyclophosphamide in both arms as initial chemotherapy for stage III ovarian cancer. Oncology 1999, 56:291–296. CrossRef
- Gadducci A, Carnino F, Chiara S, et al.: Intraperitoneal versus intravenous cisplatin in combination with intravenous cyclophosphamide and epidoxorubicin in optimally cytoreduced advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: a randomized trial of the Gruppo Oncologico Nord-Ovest Gynecol Oncol 2000, 76:157–162. CrossRef
- Markman M, Bundy BN, Alberts DS, et al.: Phase III trial of standard-dose intravenous cisplatin plus paclitaxel versus moderately high-dose carboplatin followed by intravenous paclitaxel and intraperitoneal cisplatin in small-volume stage III ovarian carcinoma: an intergroup study of the Gynecologic Oncology Group, Southwestern Oncology Group, and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 2001, 19:1001–1007.
- Yen MS, Juang CM, Lai CR, et al.: Intraperitoneal cisplatin-based chemotherapy vs. intravenous cisplatin-based chemotherapy for stage III optimally cytoreduced epithelial ovarian cancer. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2001, 72:55–60. CrossRef
- Armstrong DK, Bundy B, Wenzel L, et al.: Intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 2006, 354:34–43. Phase III trial evaluating merits of intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in initial ovarian cancer management. Also first trial to report the impact of therapy on health-related quality of life. CrossRef
- Jaaback K, Johnson N: Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the initial management of primary epithelial ovarian cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006, CD005340. Well written and concise meta-analysis of intraperitoneal chemotherapy trials.
- Alert NCIC: Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. Bethesda, MD; 2006.
- McGuire WP, Hoskins WJ, Brady MF, et al.: Cyclophosphamide and cisplatin compared with paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with stage III and stage IV ovarian cancer [see comments]. N Engl J Med 1996, 334:1–6. CrossRef
- Evans BD, Raju KS, Calvert AH, et al.: Phase II study of JM8, a new platinum analog, in advanced ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Treat Rep 1983, 67:997–1000.
- Elferink F, van der Vijgh WJ, Klein I, et al.: Pharmacokinetics of carboplatin after intraperitoneal administration. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 1988, 21:57–60. CrossRef
- Fujiwara K, Sakuragi N, Suzuki S, et al.: First-line intraperitoneal carboplatin-based chemotherapy for 165 patients with epithelial ovarian carcinoma: results of long-term follow-up. Gynecol Oncol 2003, 90:637–643. CrossRef
- Walker JL, Armstrong DK, Huang HQ, et al.: Intraperitoneal catheter outcomes in a phase III trial of intravenous versus intraperitoneal chemotherapy in optimal stage III ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer: A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol 2006, 100:27–32. Extensive report of catheter complications accompanying GOG Protocol #172. CrossRef
- Alberts DS, Markman M, Armstrong D, et al.: Intraperitoneal therapy for stage III ovarian cancer: a therapy whose time has come! J Clin Oncol 2002, 20:3944–3946.
- Markman M, Walker JL: Intraperitoneal chemotherapy of ovarian cancer: a review, with a focus on practical aspects of treatment. J Clin Oncol 2006, 24:988–994. CrossRef
- McGuire WP: Intraperitoneal therapy for ovarian cancer: a sacrifice bunt. J Clin Oncol 2001, 19:921–923.
- Kerbel RS, Kamen BA: The anti-angiogenic basis of metronomic chemotherapy. Nat Rev Cancer 2004, 4:423–436. Discussion provides rationale for metronomic administration of chemotherapy and its effect on tumor vasculature. CrossRef
- Markman M, Hall J, Spitz D, et al.: Phase II trial of weekly single-agent paclitaxel in platinum/paclitaxel-refractory ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol 2002, 20:2365–2369. CrossRef
- Aravantinos G, Fountzilas G, Kosmidis P, et al.: Paclitaxel plus carboplatin versus paclitaxel plus alternating carboplatin and cisplatin for initial treatment of advanced ovarian cancer: long-term efficacy results: a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group (HeCOG) study. Ann Oncol 2005, 16:1116–1122. CrossRef
- du Bois A, Luck HJ, Meier W, et al.: A randomized clinical trial of cisplatin/paclitaxel versus carboplatin/paclitaxel as first-line treatment of ovarian cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003, 95:1320–1329.
- Neijt JP, Engelholm SA, Tuxen MK, et al.: Exploratory phase III study of paclitaxel and cisplatin versus paclitaxel and carboplatin in advanced ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol 2000, 18:3084–3092.
- Ozols RF, Bundy BN, Greer BE, et al.: Phase III trial of carboplatin and paclitaxel compared with cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol 2003, 21:3194–3200. CrossRef
- Historical progress in the initial management of ovarian cancer: Intraperitoneal chemotherapy
Current Oncology Reports
Volume 8, Issue 6 , pp 455-464
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links