Targeted therapy for dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare, cutaneous tumor characterized by aggressive local invasion. Local recurrence after excision is common, especially when negative margins are not achieved. DFSP frequently exhibits translocation of chromosomes 17 and 22, t(17;22). This rearrangement fuses the collagen type Ià1 (COL1A1) gene to the platelet-derived growth factor B-chain (PDGFB) gene. The resultant chimeric gene causes unregulated expression of platelet-derived growth factor leading to abnormal activation of the platelet-derived growth factor receptor (PDGFR) â tyrosine kinase through an autocrine loop. This is believed to be the critical event in DFSP tumorigenesis. Imatinib mesylate is a potent inhibitor of several protein tyrosine kinases, including the PDGFRs. Clinical evidence suggests that imatinib mesylate is a safe and effective treatment in DFSP, especially in cases of recurrent or metastatic disease. Three phase II, multicenter clinical trials are open to further investigate the role of imatinib mesylate in DFSP.
- Laskin WB: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. CA Cancer J Clin 1992, 42:116–125. A comprehensive review for clinicians interested in learning about DFSP.
- Bowne WB, Antonescu CR, Leung DHY, et al.: Dermato-fibrosarcoma protuberans: a clinicopathologic analysis of patients treated and followed at a single institution. Cancer 2000, 88:2711–2720. CrossRef
- Pedeutour F, Coindre JM, Sozzi G, et al.: Supernumerary ring chromosomes containing chromosome 17 sequences: a specific feature of Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans? Cancer Genet Cytogenet 1994, 76:1–9. A historically significant article, one of the first to propose an association between specific cytogenetic abnormalities and DFSP. CrossRef
- Pedeutour F, Simon MP, Minoletti F, et al.: Ring 22 chromosomes in Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans are low-level amplifiers of chromosome 17 and 22 sequences. Cancer Res 1995, 55:2400–2403.
- Naeem R, Lux ML, Huang SF, et al.: Ring chromosomes in Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans are composed of interspersed sequences from chromosomes 17 and 22. Am J Pathol 1995, 147:1553–1558.
- Pedeutour F, Simon MP, Minoletti F, et al.: Translocation, t(17;22)(q22;q13), in dermatofibrosarcome protuberans: a new tumor-associated chromosome rearrangement. Cytogenet Cell Genet 1996, 72:171–174.
- Simon MP, Pedeutour F, Sirvent N, et al.: Deregulation of the platelet-derived growth factor B-chain gene via fusion with collagen gene COL1A1 in Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans and giant-cell fibroblastoma. Nat Genet 1997, 15:95–98. CrossRef
- Shimizu A, O’Brien KP, Sjöblom T, et al.: The dermato-fibrosarcoma protuberans-associated collagen type Ialpha1/platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) B-chain fusion gene generates a transforming protein that is processed to functional PDGF-BB. Cancer Res 1999, 59:3719–3723.
- Simon MP, Navarro M, Roux D, Pouysségur J: Structural and functional analysis of a chimeric protein COL1A1-PDGFB generated by the translocation t(17;22)(q22;q13.1) in Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DP). Oncogene 2001, 20:2965–2975. This elegant experiment shows that the protein in DFSP generated by t(17;22) is identical in structure and function to that which is produced from the ring chromosome. CrossRef
- Sirvent N, Maire G, Pedeutour F: Genetics of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans family of tumors: from ring chromosomes to tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatment. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2003, 37:1–19. A very good review of DFSP molecular genetics and recommended reading for anyone interested in targeted therapy for the disease. CrossRef
- Sjöblom T, O’Brien KP, Shimizu A, et al.: Growth inhibition of Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans tumors by the platelet-derived growth factor antagonist STI157 through induction of apoptosis. Cancer Res 2001, 61:5778–5783.
- Greco A, Roccato E, Miranda C, et al.: Growth-inhibitory effect of STI157 on cells transformed by the COL1A1/ PDGFB rearrangement. Int J Cancer 2001, 92:354–360. CrossRef
- Buchdunger E, O’Reilly T, Wood J, et al.: Pharmacology of imatinib (STI157). Eur J Cancer 2002, 38(Suppl 5):S28-S36. CrossRef
- Maki RG, Awan RA, Dixon RH, et al.: Differential sensitivity to imatinib of 2 patients with metastatic sarcoma arising from Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Int J Cancer 2002, 100:623–626. CrossRef
- Rubin BP, Schuetze SM, Eary JF, et al.: Molecular targeting of platelet-derived growth factor B by imatinib mesylate in a patient with metastatic Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Clin Oncol 2002, 20:3586–3591. CrossRef
- Mizutani K, Tamada Y, Hara K, et al.: Imatinib mesylate inhibits the growth of metastatic lung lesions in a patient with Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans [letter]. Br J Dermatol 2004, 151:235–236. CrossRef
- Price VE, Fletcher JA, Zielenska M, et al.: Imatinib mesylate: an attractive alternative in young children with large, surgically challenging Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005, 44:511–515. CrossRef
- Labropoulos SV, Fletcher JA, Oliveira AM, et al.: Sustained complete remission of metastatic Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with imatinib mesylate. Anticancer Drugs 2005, 16:461–466. CrossRef
- McArthur GA, Demetri GD, van Oosterom A, et al.: Molecular and clinical analysis of locally advanced Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans treated with imatinib: Imatinib Target Exploration Consortium Study B2225. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:866–873. A landmark article, representing the first substantial collection of patients with advanced DFSP to be treated with imatinib. High rates of response were demonstrated. CrossRef
- Suit H, Spiro I, Mankin HJ, et al.: Radiation in management of patients with Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Clin Oncol 1996, 14:2365–2369.
- Shmookler BM, Enzinger FM, Weiss SW: Giant cell fibroblastoma: a juvenile form of Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Cancer 1989, 64:2154–2161. CrossRef
- Terrier-Lacombe M-J, Guillou L, Maire G, et al.: Dermato-fibrosarcoma protuberans, giant cell fibroblastoma, and hybrid lesions in children: clinicopathologic comparative analysis of 28 cases with molecular data. Am J Surg Pathol 2003, 27:27–39. CrossRef
- Rutgers EJT, Kroon BBR, Albus-Lutter CE, Gortzak E: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: treatment and prognosis. Eur J Surg Oncol 1992, 18:241–248.
- Gloster HMJr: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996, 35:355–375. CrossRef
- Billings SD, Folpe AL. Cutaneous and subcutaneous fibrohistiocytic tumors of intermediate malignancy. Am J Dermatopathol 2004, 26:141–155. CrossRef
- Mentzel T, Beham A, Katenkamp D, et al.: Fibrosarcomatous ("high-grade") Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of a series of 41 cases with emphasis on prognostic signifi-cance. Am J Surg Pathol 1998, 22:576–587. CrossRef
- Taylor HB, Helwig EB. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a study of 115 cases. Cancer 1962, 15:717–725. CrossRef
- Fiore M, Miceli R, Mussi C, et al.: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans treated at a single institution: a surgical disease with a high cure rate. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:7669–7675. CrossRef
- DuBay D, Cimmino V, Lowe L, et al.: Low recurrence rate after surgery for Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Cancer 2004, 100:1008–1016. CrossRef
- Chung CK, Jacobs IA, Salti GI. Outcomes of surgery for Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Eur J Surg Oncol 2004, 30:341–345. CrossRef
- Khatri VP, Galante JM, Bold RJ, et al.: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: reappraisal of wide local excision and impact of inadequate initial treatment. Ann Surg Oncol 2003, 10:1118–1122. CrossRef
- Snow SN, Gordon EM, Larson PO, et al.: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a report on 29 patients treated by Mohs micrographic surgery with long-term follow-up and review of the literature. Cancer 2004, 101:28–38. CrossRef
- Goldblum JR, Reith JD, Weiss SW. Sarcomas arising in Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Am J Surg Pathol 2000, 24:1125–1130. CrossRef
- Dagan R, Morris CG, Zlotecki RA, et al.: Radiotherapy in the treatment of Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Am J Clin Oncol 2005, 28:537–539. CrossRef
- Sun LM, Wang CJ, Huang C-C, et al.: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: treatment results of 35 cases. Radiother Oncol 2000, 57:175–181. CrossRef
- Mendoza CB, Gerwig WH, Watne AL: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with metastases treated with methotrexate. Am J Surg 1970, 120:119–121. CrossRef
- Cools J, DeAngelo DJ, Gotlieb J, et al.: A tyrosine kinase created by fusion of the PDGFRA and FIP1L1 genes as a therapeutic target of imatinib in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. N Engl J Med 2003, 348:1201–1214. CrossRef
- Imatinib mesylate in treating patients with locally recurrent or metastatic Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) or transformed fibrosarcomatous DFSP. Accessible at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00084630
- Imatinib mesylate in treating patients with locally advanced or metastatic Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans or giant cell fibroblastoma. Accessible at http://www. clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00085475
- Targeted therapy for dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
Current Oncology Reports
Volume 8, Issue 4 , pp 291-296
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links