Adjuvant therapy for colon cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Colon cancer is a leading cause of cancer and cancer deaths in Western countries. Although 5-fluorouracil is still the basis of adjuvant therapy, advances in drug development have led to increased efficacy with the addition of oxaliplatin and options for oral therapy with capecitabine. The benefit of adjuvant therapy for stage II disease is consistently small and not statistically signifi-cant. Future studies will evaluate the role of the biologic agents that have proved to be effective in metastatic disease and better delineate the population at risk by identifying prognostic and predictive markers.
- Jemal A, Murray T, Ward E, et al.: Cancer statistics, 2005. CA Cancer J Clin 2005, 55:10–30. CrossRef
- Greene FL, Page DL, Fleming ID et al., Eds. AJCC (American Joint Committee on Cancer) Cancer Staging Manual, edn 6. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2002.
- Jessup JM, McGinnis LS, Steele GD Jr, et al.: The National Cancer Data Base. Report on colon cancer. Cancer 1996, 78:918–926. CrossRef
- Wolmark N, Fisher B, Rockette H, et al.: Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy or BCG for colon cancer: results from NSABP protocol C-01. J Natl Cancer Inst 1988, 80:30–36. CrossRef
- Laurie JA, Moertel CG, Fleming TR, et al.: Surgical adjuvant therapy of large-bowel carcinoma: an evaluation of levamisole and the combination of levamisole and fluorouracil. The North Central Cancer Treatment Group and the Mayo Clinic. J Clin Oncol 1989, 7:1447–1456.
- Buyse M, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Chalmers TC: Adjuvant therapy of colorectal cancer. Why we still don’t know. JAMA 1988, 259:3571–3578. CrossRef
- Moertel CG, Fleming TR, Macdonald JS, et al.: Fluorouracil plus levamisole as effective adjuvant therapy after resection of stage III colon carcinoma: a final report. Ann Intern Med 1995, 122:321–326.
- NIH consensus conference. Adjuvant therapy for patients with colon and rectal cancer. JAMA 1990, 264:1444–1450. CrossRef
- O’Connell MJ, Mailliard JA, Kahn MJ, et al.: Controlled trial of fluorouracil and low-dose leucovorin given for 6 months as postoperative adjuvant therapy for colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 1997, 15:246–250.
- Wolmark N, Rockette H, Fisher B, et al.: The benefit of leucovorin-modulated fluorouracil as postoperative adjuvant therapy for primary colon cancer: results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project protocol C-03. J Clin Oncol 1993, 11:1879–1887.
- Efficacy of adjuvant fluorouracil and folinic acid in colon cancer. International Multicentre Pooled Analysis of Colon Cancer Trials (IMPACT) investigators. Lancet 1995, 345:939–944.
- O’Connell MJ, Laurie JA, Kahn M, et al.: Prospectively randomized trial of postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with high-risk colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 1998, 16:295–300.
- Wolmark N, Rockette H, Mamounas E, et al.: Clinical trial to assess the relative efficacy of fluorouracil and leucovorin, fluorouracil and levamisole, and fluorouracil, leucovorin, and levamisole in patients with Dukes’ B and C carcinoma of the colon: results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project C-04. J Clin Oncol 1999, 17:3553–3559.
- Porschen R, Bermann A, Loffier T, et al.: Fluorouracil plus leucovorin as effective adjuvant chemotherapy in curatively resected stage III colon cancer: results of the trial adjCCA-01. J Clin Oncol 2001, 19:1787–1794.
- Haller D, Catalano PJ, Macdonald JS, et al.: Phase III study of fluorouracil, leucovorin, and levamisole in high risk stage II and III colon cancer: final report of Intergroup 0089. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:5671–5678.
- Comparison of fluorouracil with additional levamisole, higher-dose folinic acid, or both, as adjuvant chemotherapy for colorectal cancer: a randomised trial. QUASAR Collaborative Group. Lancet 2000, 355:1588–1596. CrossRef
- Starling NEA: A randomised comparison between six months of bolus fluorouracil (5-FU)/ leucovorin (LV) and twelve weeks of protracted venous infusion (PVI) 5-FU as adjuvant treatment in colorectal cancer: an update with 5 years’ follow-up [abstract]. Proc ASCO 2004, 23:3523.
- Poplin EA, Benedetti JK, Estes NC, et al.: Phase III Southwest Oncology Group 9415/Intergroup 0153 randomized trial of fluorouracil, leucovorin, and levamisole versus fluorouracil continuous infusion and levamisole for adjuvant treatment of stage III and high-risk stage II colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:1819–1825. CrossRef
- Andre T, Colin P, Louvet C, et al.: Semimonthly versus monthly regimen of fluorouracil and leucovorin administered for 24 or 36 weeks as adjuvant therapy in stage II and III colon cancer: results of a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 2003, 21:2896–2903. CrossRef
- Twelves C, Wong A, Nowacki MP, et al.: Capecitabine as adjuvant treatment for stage III colon cancer. N Engl J Med 2005, 352:2696–2704. Reports on efficacy and safety of capecitabine as adjuvant therapy. Offers an alternative for patients not receiving combination therapy. CrossRef
- Andre T, Boni C, Mounedji-Boudiaf L, et al.: Oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment for colon cancer. N Engl J Med 2004, 350:2343–2351. Efficacy and safety of combination therapy with 5-FU and oxaliplatin for adjuvant therapy. CrossRef
- Wolmark N, Wieand JP, Kuebler JP, et al.: A phase III trial comparing FULV to FULV + oxaliplatin in stage II or III carcinoma of the colon: results of NSABP Protocol C-07 [abstract]. Proc ASCO 2005, 24:3500.
- Saltz LB, Niedzwiecki D, Hollis RM, et al.: Irinotecan plus fluorouracil / leucovorin (IFL) versus fluorouracil / leucovroin alone (FL) in stage III colon cancer (integroup trial CALGB C89803) [abstract]. Proc ASCO 2004, 23:3500.
- van Cutsem E, Labianca D, Hossfeld G, et al.: Randomized phase III trial comparing infused irinotecan / 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid (IF) versus 5-FU/FA (F) in stage III colon cancer patients (pts). (PETACC 3) [abstract]. Proc ASCO 2005, 24:28.
- Ychou M, Raoul J.-L, Douillard J.-Y: R LV5FU2 + CPT11 versus LV5FU2 alone in adjuvant colon cancer: interim safety results of the phase III randomized FNCLCC Accord02/ FFCD9802 trial [abstract]. Proc ASCO 2003, 22:295.
- Gray RG, Hills BR, Hills R, et al.: QUASAR: A randomized study of adjuvant chemotherapy versus obser vation including 3238 colorectal cancer patients [abstract]. Proc ASCO 2004, 23:A3501.
- Mamounas E, Wieand S, Wolmark N, et al.: Comparative efficacy of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with Dukes’ B versus Dukes’ C colon cancer: results from four National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project adjuvant studies (C-01, C-02, C-03 and C-04). J Clin Oncol 1999, 17:1349–1355. Pools data from NSABP studies to compare the benefit of adjuvant therapy for stage III disease with that of stage II disease.
- Efficacy of adjuvant f luorouracil and folinic acid in B2 colon cancer. International Multicentre Pooled Analysis of B2 Colon Cancer Trials (IMPACT B2) Investigators. J Clin Oncol 1999, 17L:1356–1363. Evaluates the benefit of adjuvant therapy as compared with obser vation for stage II disease based on pooled data from randomized studies.
- Benson AB III, Schrag D, Somerfield MR, et al.: American Society of Clinical Oncolog y recommendations on adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 2004, 22:3408–3419. CrossRef
- Swanson RS, Compton CC, Stewart AK, Bland KI: The prognosis of T3N0 colon cancer is dependent on the number of lymph nodes examined. Ann Surg Oncol 2003, 10:65–71. CrossRef
- Ribic CM, Sargent DJ, Moore MJ, et al.: Tumor microsatelite-instability status as a predictor of benefit from f luorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer. N Engl J Med 2003, 349:247–257. Identifies potential predictive markers for adjuvant 5-FU-based therapy. CrossRef
- Watanabe T, Wu T-T, Catalano PJ, et al.: Molecular predictors of sur vival after adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer. N Engl J Med 2001, 344:1196–1206. CrossRef
- Adjuvant therapy for colon cancer
Current Oncology Reports
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 161-166
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links