Antiplatelet medications in the secondary prevention of ischemic stroke
- James D. Fleck MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is difficult to make general statements regarding choices in the medical management of patients with IS given its multiple mechanisms and individual patient variations. It is exceedingly important to manage all vascular risk factors in each patient, especially hypertension. Managing risk factors is as important as, or perhaps more important than, deciding on a prevention medication. Based on the previous discussion, I present my recommendations for antiplatelet secondary prevention of noncardioembolic IS.
- Fields, WS, Lemak, NA, Frankowski, RF, Hardy, RJ (1977) Controlled trial of aspirin in cerebral ischemia. Stroke 8: pp. 301-314
- A randomized trial of aspirin and sulfinpyrazone in threatened stroke. The Canadian Cooperative Study Group. N Engl J Med 299: pp. 53-59 CrossRef
- Hass, WK, Easton, JD, Adams, HP (1989) A randomized trial comparing ticlopidine hydrochloride with aspirin for the prevention of stroke in high-risk patients. Ticlopidine Aspirin Stroke Study Group. N Engl J Med 321: pp. 501-507 CrossRef
- Gorelick, PB, Richardson, D, Kelly, M (2003) Aspirin and ticlopidine for prevention of recurrent stroke in black patients: a randomized trial. JAMA 289: pp. 2947-2957 CrossRef
- A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE). Lancet 348: pp. 1329-1339 CrossRef
- Diener, HC, Cunha, L, Forbes, C (1996) European Stroke Prevention Study 2. Dipyridamole and acetylsalicylic acid in the secondary prevention of stroke. J Neurol Sci 143: pp. 1-13 CrossRef
- Bousser, MG, Eschwege, E, Haguenau, M (1983) “AICLA” controlled trial of aspirin and dipyridamole in the secondary prevention of athero-thrombotic cerebral ischemia. Stroke 14: pp. 5-14
- Schryver, EL, Algra, A, Gijn, J (2003) Cochrane review: dipyridamole for preventing major vascular events in patients with vascular disease. Stroke 34: pp. 2072-2080 CrossRef
- Mohr, JP, Thompson, JL, Lazar, RM (2001) A comparison of warfarin and aspirin for the prevention of recurrent ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 345: pp. 1444-1451 CrossRef
- Yusuf, S, Zhao, F, Mehta, SR (2001) Effects of clopidogrel in addition to aspirin in patients with acute coronary syndromes without ST-segment elevation. N Engl J Med 345: pp. 494-502 CrossRef
- Steinhubl, SR, Berger, PB, Mann, JT (2002) Early and sustained dual oral antiplatelet therapy following percutaneous coronary intervention: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 288: pp. 2411-2420 CrossRef
- Diener, HC (2004) Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): randomised, doubleblind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 364: pp. 331-337 CrossRef
- CHARISMA: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00050817. Accessed August 15, 2004.
- PRoFESS: http://www.profess-study.com. Accessed August 15, 2004.
- SPS3: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00059306. Accessed August 15, 2004.
- Antiplatelet medications in the secondary prevention of ischemic stroke
Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 1-3
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology, Indiana University School of Medicine, CL 291, 541 Clinical Drive, 46202, Indianapolis, IN, USA