Cluster headache: Diagnosis and treatment
- Todd D. Rozen MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cluster headache is a primary headache syndrome that is unr-diagnosed and in many instances under-treated. The pain produced during a cluster headache is more severe than that generated by any other primary headache. Cluster headache is very stereotyped in its presentation and fairly easy to diagnose with an in-depth headache history. Cluster headache is easy to treat in most individuals if the correct medications are used and the correct dosages are given. The following manuscript presents information on the clinical presentation of cluster headache and both medicinal and surgical interventions.
- Klapper JA, Klapper A, Voss T: The misdiagnosis of cluster headache: a nonclinic, population-based, Internet survey. Headache 2000, 40:730–735. This is an important study stating the magnitude of misdiagnosis of cluster headache in the United States. CrossRef
- Vingen JV, Pareja JA, Sovner LJ: Quantitative evaluation of photophobia and phonophobia in cluster headache. Cephalalgia 1998, 18:250–256. CrossRef
- Nappi G, Micieli G, Cavallini A, et al.: Accompanying symptoms of cluster headache: their relevance to the diagnostic criteria. Cephalagia 1992, 3:165–168. CrossRef
- Kudrow L: Cluster headache: diagnosis and management. Headache 1979, 19:142–150. CrossRef
- Ekbom K: Treatment of acute cluster headache with sumatriptan. N Engl J Med 1991, 325:322–326. CrossRef
- Ekbom K, Krabbe A, Micieli G, et al.: Cluster headache attacks treated for up to three months with subcutaneous sumatriptan (6mg) (Sumatriptan Long-Term Study Group). Cephalalgia 1995, 15:230–236. CrossRef
- van Vliet JA, Bahra A, Martin V: Intranasal sumatriptan is effective in the treatment of acute cluster headache-a double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study. Cephalagia 2001, 21:267–272. CrossRef
- Hering-Hanit R: Alteration in nature of cluster headache during subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan. Headache 2000, 40:41–44. CrossRef
- Kudrow L: Response of cluster headache attacks to oxygen inhalation. Headache 1981, 21:1–4. CrossRef
- Rozen TD, Niknam R, Shechter AL, et al.: Gender differences in clinical characteristics and treatment response in cluster headache patients. Cephalalgia 1999, 19:323.
- Rozen TR: High oxygen flow rates for cluster headache. Neurology 2004, 63:593.
- Disabato F, Fusco BM, Pelaia P, Giacovazzo M: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in cluster headache. Pain 1993, 52:245. CrossRef
- Ekbom K, Hardebo JE: Cluster headache: aetiology, diagnosis and management. Drugs 2002, 62:61–69. CrossRef
- Leone M, D’Amico D, Attanasio A, et al.: Verapamil is an effective prophylactic for cluster headache: results of a double blind multicenter study versus placebo. In Cluster Headache and Related Conditions. Edited by Olesen J, Goadsby PJ. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 1999:296–299.
- Bussone G, Leone M, Peccarisi C: Double blind comparison of lithium and verapamil in cluster headache prophylaxis. Headache 1990, 30:411–417. CrossRef
- Steiner TJ, Hering R, Couturier EG, et al.: Double-blind placebo-controlled trial of lithium in episodic cluster headache. Cephalagia 1997, 17:673–675. CrossRef
- Freitag FG, Diamond S, Diamond ML, et al.: Divalproex sodium in the preventative treatment of cluster headache. Headache 2000, 40:408.
- El Amrani M, Massiou H, Bousser MG: A negative trial of sodium valproate in cluster headache: methodological issues. Cephalalgia 2002, 22:205–208. CrossRef
- Lainez MJ, Pascual J, Pascual AM, et al.: Topiramate in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headache. Headache 2003, 43:784–789. Topiramate is a newer antiepileptic compound that has shown efficacy in migraine headache; cluster headache; and short-lasting, unilateral, neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT) syndrome. The dosage needed to treat cluster headache appears to be lower than that needed to treat migraine. CrossRef
- Leone M, Damico D, Moschiano F, et al.: Melatonin versus placebo in the prophylaxis of cluster headache: a double blind pilot study with parallel groups. Cephalalgia 1996, 16:494–496. CrossRef
- Peres MF, Rozen TD: Melatonin in the preventive treatment of chronic cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2001, 21:993–995. CrossRef
- Pringsheim T, Magnoux E, Dobson CF, et al.: Melatonin as adjunctive therapy in the prophylaxis of cluster headache: a pilot study. Headache 2002, 42:787–792. CrossRef
- Leone M, Franzini A, Broggi G, Bussone G: Hypothalamic deep brain stimulation for intractable chronic cluster headache: a 3-year follow-up. Neurol Sci 2003, 24(Suppl 2):S143-S145. This article details an exciting new surgical treatment option for cluster headache. It suggests that truly understanding pathogenesis can lead to new treatment approaches.
- May A, Bahra A, Buchel C, et al.: Hypothalamic activation in cluster headache attacks. Lancet 2001, 352:275–278. This is an important article suggesting a hypothalamic generator for cluster headache. CrossRef
- Cluster headache: Diagnosis and treatment
Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 99-104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Todd D. Rozen MD (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Michigan Head-Pain and Neurological Institute, 3120 Professional Drive, 48104, Ann Arbor, MI, USA