Do Delays in Performing Lumbar Puncture After Administration of Antibiotics Alter the Results of CSF Cultures?
- Karen C. Bloch
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Tunkel AR, Hartman BJ, Kaplan SL, et al. Practice guidelines for the management of bacterial meningitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;39:1267–84. CrossRef
- Heyderman RS. Early management of suspected bacterial meningitis and meningococcal septicaemia in immunocompetent adults—second edition. J Infect. 2005;50:373–4. Accessible online at http://www.meningitis.org/. CrossRef
- Chavanet P, Schaller C, Levy C, et al. Performance of a predicative rule to distinguish bacterial and viral meningitis. J Infect. 2007;54:328–36. CrossRef
- Aronin SI, Peduzzi P, Quagliarello VJ. Community-acquired bacterial meningitis: risk stratification for adverse clinical outcome and effect of antibiotic timing. Ann Intern Med. 1998;129:862–9.
- Chaudhuri A, Martin PM, Kennedy PG, et al. EFNS guideline on the management of community-acquired bacterial meningitis: report of an EFNS task force on acute bacterial meningitis in older children and adults. Eur J Neurol. 2008;15:649–59. CrossRef
- Hasbun R, Abrahams J, Jekel J, et al. Computerized tomography of the head before lumbar puncture in adults with suspected meningitis. N Engl J Med. 2001;245:1727–33. CrossRef
- Clark T, Duffell E, Stuart JM, et al. Lumbar puncture in the management of adults with suspected bacterial meningitis—a survey of practice. J Infect. 2006;52:315–9. CrossRef
- Nigrovic LE, Malley R, Macias CG, et al. Effect of antibiotic pretreatment on cerebrospinal fluid profiles of children with bacterial meningitis. Pediatrics. 2008;122:726–30. CrossRef
- Talan DA, Hoffman JR, Yoshikawa TT, et al. Role of empiric parenteral antibiotics prior to lumbar puncture in suspected bacterial meningitis: state of the art. Rev Infect Dis. 1988;10:36–76. CrossRef
- Kanegaye JT, Soliemanzadeh P, Bradley JS. Lumbar puncture in pediatric bacterial meningitis: defining the time interval for recovery of cerebrospinal fluid pathogens after parenteral antibiotic pretreatment. Pediatrics. 2001;108:1169–74.
- Do Delays in Performing Lumbar Puncture After Administration of Antibiotics Alter the Results of CSF Cultures?
Current Infectious Disease Reports
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 305-307
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Karen C. Bloch (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, A-2200 Medical Center North, Nashville, TN, 37232-2582, USA