Clinical Spectrum of Desquamative Inflammatory Vaginitis
- Colleen Kennedy Stockdale
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis (DIV) is a rare chronic clinical syndrome of unknown etiology characterized by profuse purulent vaginal discharge, diffuse exudative vaginitis, epithelial cell exfoliation, and pain. A diagnosis of DIV is often missed by even experienced practitioners owing to its rarity and its clinical and laboratory presentation similar to other inflammatory vulvovaginal disorders. Although DIV is difficult to treat and often requires long-term therapy for maintenance, successful therapy has been reported with topical steroids and clindamycin.
- Nyirjesy P, Peyton C, Weitz MV, et al.: Causes of chronic vaginitis. Obstet Gynecol 2006, 108:1185–1191.
- Scheffey LC, Rakoff AE, Lang WR: An unusual case of exudative vaginitis (hydrorrhea vaginalis) treated with local hydrocortisone. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1956, 72:208–211.
- Gray LA, Barnes ML: Vaginitis in women, diagnosis and treatment. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1965, 92:125–127.
- Gardner HL: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis: a newly defined entity. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1968, 102:1102–1105.
- Lynch P: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis with oral lichen planus. Presented at the Second International Congress of the International Society for the Study of Vulvar Disease. Key Biscayne, Florida: January 9–11, 1975.
- Edwards L, Friedrich EG: Desquamative vaginitis: lichen planus in disguise. Obstet Gynecol 1988, 71:832–836.
- Oates JD, Rowen D: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. A review. Genitourin Med 1990, 66:275–279.
- Sobel JD: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis: a new subgroup of purulent vaginitis responsive to topical 2% clindamycin therapy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994, 171:1215–1220.
- Peacocke M, Djurkinak E, Thys-Jacobs S: Treatment of desquamative inflammatory vaginitis with vitamin D: A case report. Cutis 2008, 81:75–78.
- Edwards L: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. In Genital Dermatology Atlas. Edited by Edwards L. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004:237–240.
- Ledger WJ, Witkin SS: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. In Vulvovaginal Infections. Edited by Ledger WJ, Witkin SS. London: Manson Publishing; 2007:49–52.
- Lev-Sagie A, Nyirjesy P: Treatment of desquamative inflammatory vaginitis (DIV) with intravaginal 2% clindamycin cream: a long term follow-up. J Low Genit Tract Dis 2009, 13(5 Suppl):S2.
- Murphy R: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. Dermatol Ther 2004, 17:47–49. CrossRef
- Paavonen J: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 1996, 4:257. CrossRef
- • Murphy R, Edwards L: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis, what is it? J Reprod Med 2008, 53:124–128. The authors report the histopathology findings of idiopathic DIV.
- Nyirjesy P: Postmenopausal vaginitis. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2007, 9:480–484. CrossRef
- Newbern EC, Foxman B, Leaman D, Sobel JD: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis: an exploratory case-control study. Ann Epidemiol 2002, 12:346–352. CrossRef
- • Reichman R, Sobel JD: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis (DIV): twelve year experience with one hundred and thirty patients—new insights. J Low Genit Tract Dis 2009, 13(5 Suppl):S2. The authors presented preliminary findings on the largest cohort of women with DIV.
- Fowler RS: Expansion of altered vaginal flora states in vaginitis to include a spectrum of microflora. J Reprod Med 2007, 52:93–99.
- Donders GGG, Vereecken A, Bosmans E, et al.: Definition of a type of abnormal vaginal flora that is distince from bacterial vaginosis: aerobic vaginitis. BJOG 2002, 109:34–43. CrossRef
- Dennerstein G, Scurry J, Brenan J, et al: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. In The Vulva and Vagina Manual. Edited by Dennerstein G, Scurry J, Brenan J, et al. Australia: Gynederm Publishing; 2005:170–172.
- Jacobson M, Krumholz B, Franks A: Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. J Reprod Med 1989, 34(9):647–650.
- Clinical Spectrum of Desquamative Inflammatory Vaginitis
Current Infectious Disease Reports
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 479-483
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Vaginal discharge
- Vaginal disease
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA, 52242, USA