Liver transplant in patients with HIV: Infection risk associated with HIV and post-transplant immunosuppression
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Before the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy, HIV-infected patients who underwent liver transplantation (LT) had poor survival, mainly because of a rapid progression to AIDS and its infectious complications during the post-LT immunosuppression phase. However, in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy, under some specific and well-determined conditions, LT might be as safe and efficacious in HIV patients as it is in non-HIV-infected patients. End-stage liver failure as caused by hepatitis B virus, cirrhosis, and hepatotoxicity should be considered indications for LT in every transplant center. Because of the almost universal hepatitis C virus reinfection and its accelerated course post-LT, LT in hepatitis C virus-coinfected patients deserves more caution and more extended follow-up before it is accepted as a standard indication for LT in HIV-infected patients.
- Fishman JA: Transplantation for patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus: no longer experimental but not yet routine. J Infect Dis 2003, 188:1405–1411. CrossRef
- Shaffer D, Pearl RH, Jenkins RL, et al.: HTLV-III/LAV infection in kidney and liver transplantation. Transplant Proc 1987, 19:2176–2178.
- Bouscarat F, Samuel D, Simon F, et al.: An observational study of 11 French liver transplant recipients infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Clin Infect Dis 1994, 19:854–859.
- Tzakis AG, Cooper MH, Dummer JS, et al.: Transplantation in HIV + patients. Transplantation 1990, 49:354–358. CrossRef
- Erice A, Rhame FS, Heussner RC, et al.: Human immunodeficiency virus infection in patients with solid-organ transplants: report of five cases and review. Rev Infect Dis 1991, 13:537–547.
- Dummer JS, Erb S, Breinig MK, et al.: Infection with human immunodeficiency virus in the Pittsburgh transplant population. A study of 583 donors and 1043 recipients, 1981–1986. Transplantation 1989, 47:134–140. CrossRef
- Gordon FH, Mistry PK, Sabin CA, Lee CA: Outcome of orthotopic liver transplantation in patients with haemophilia. Gut 1998, 42:744–749. CrossRef
- Ward JW, Schable C, Dickinson GM, et al.: Acute human immunodeficiency virus infection. Antigen detection and seroconversion in immunosuppressed patients. Transplantation 1989, 47:722–724. CrossRef
- Vanhems P, Bresson-Hadni S, Vuitton DA, et al.: Long-term survival without immunosuppression in HIV-positive livergraft recipient. Lancet 1991, 337:126. CrossRef
- Jacobson SK, Calne RY, Wreghitt TG: Outcome of HIV infection in transplant patient on cyclosporin. Lancet 1991, 337:794. CrossRef
- McCarthy M, Gane E, Pereira S, et al.: Liver transplantation for haemophiliacs with hepatitis C cirrhosis. Gut 1996, 39:870–875. CrossRef
- Ragni MV, Bontempo FA, Lewis JH: Organ transplantation in HIV-positive patients with hemophilia. N Engl J Med 1990, 322:1886–1887.
- Palella FJ Jr, Delaney KM, Moorman AC, et al.: Declining morbidity and mortality among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection. HIV Outpatient Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1998, 338:853–860. CrossRef
- Detels R, Munoz A, McFarlane G, et al.: Effectiveness of potent antiretroviral therapy on time to AIDS and death in men with known HIV infection duration. Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study Investigators. JAMA 1998, 280:1497–1503. CrossRef
- Kaplan JE, Hanson D, Dworkin MS, et al.: Epidemiology of human immunodeficiency virus-associated opportunistic infections in the United States in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2000, 30(Suppl 1):S5–14. CrossRef
- Ockenga J, Tillmann HL, Trautwein C, et al.: Hepatitis B and C in HIV-infected patients. Prevalence and prognostic value. J Hepatol 1997, 27:18–24. CrossRef
- Schoenfeld P, Rodriguez R, Mendelson M: Patients with HIV infection and end-stage renal disease. Adv Ren Replace Ther 1996, 3:287–292.
- Puoti M, Spinetti A, Ghezzi A, et al.: Mortality for liver disease in patients with HIV infection: a cohort study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2000, 24:211–217.
- Soriano V, Garcia-Samaniego J, Rodriguez-Rosado R, et al.: Hepatitis C and HIV infection: biological, clinical, and therapeutic implications. J Hepatol 1999, 31(Suppl 1):119–123. CrossRef
- Bica I, McGovern B, Dhar R, et al.: Increasing mortality due to end-stage liver disease in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Infect Dis 2001, 32:492–497. CrossRef
- Pineda JA, Romero-Gomez M, Diaz-Garcia F, et al.: HIV coinfection shortens the survival of patients with hepatitis C virus-related decompensated cirrhosis. Hepatology 2005, 41:779–789. CrossRef
- Halpern SD, Ubel PA, Caplan AL: Solid-organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med 2002, 347:284–287. CrossRef
- Kuo PC, Stock PG: Transplantation in the HIV + patient. Am J Transplant 2001, 1:13–17. CrossRef
- Sheikh AM, Wolf DC, Lebovics E, et al.: Concomitant human immunodeficiency virus protease inhibitor therapy markedly reduces tacrolimus metabolism and increases blood levels. Transplantation 1999, 68:307–309. CrossRef
- Ragni MV, Dodson SF, Hunt SC, et al.: Liver transplantation in a hemophilia patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Blood 1999, 93:1113–1114.
- Schvarcz R, Rudbeck G, Soderdahl G, Stahle L: Interaction between nelfinavir and tacrolimus after orthoptic liver transplantation in a patient coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV). Transplantation 2000, 69:2194–2195. CrossRef
- Schliefer K, Paar WD, Aydemir G, et al.: Orthotopic liver transplantation in a 33-year-old patient with fulminant hepatitis B and HIV infection [in German]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 2000, 125:523–526. CrossRef
- Gow PJ, Mutimer D: Liver transplantation for an HIV-positive patient in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2001, 15:291–292. CrossRef
- Prachalias AA, Pozniak A, Taylor C, et al.: Liver transplantation in adults coinfected with HIV. Transplantation 2001, 72:1684–1688. CrossRef
- Tolan DJ, Davies MH, Millson CE: Fibrosing cholestatic hepatitis after liver transplantation in a patient with hepatitis C and HIV infection. N Engl J Med 2001, 345:1781. CrossRef
- Roland ME, Stock PG: Review of solid-organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. Transplantation 2003, 75:425–429. CrossRef
- Rafecas A, Rufi G, Fabregat J, Xiol X: Liver transplantation in a patient infected by human immunodefficiency virus [in Spanish]. Med Clin (Barc) 2002, 119:596.
- Stock PG, Roland ME, Carlson L, et al.: Kidney and liver transplantation in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: a pilot safety and efficacy study. Transplantation 2003, 76:370–375. CrossRef
- Nowak P, Schvarcz R, Ericzon BG, et al.: Follow-up of antiretroviral treatment in liver transplant recipients with primary and chronic HIV type 1 infection. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2003, 19:13–19. CrossRef
- Vittecoq D, Teicher E, Merad M, et al.: Liver transplantation: is it possible in HIV/HCV co-infected patients [in French]? Pathol Biol (Paris) 2003, 51:525–527.
- Jeng LB, Lee WC, Hung CM, et al.: Liver transplantation in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus infection: a case report. Transplant Proc 2003, 35:361. CrossRef
- Neff GW, Bonham A, Tzakis AG, et al.: Orthotopic liver transplantation in patients with human immunodeficiency virus and end-stage liver disease. Liver Transpl 2003, 9:239–247. CrossRef
- Gonzalez AR, Barcena R, Blesa C, et al.: Liver transplantation in a patient coinfected with human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus. Transplant Proc 2003, 35:1846–1847. CrossRef
- Antoniades C, Macdonald C, Knisely A, et al.: Mitochondrial toxicity associated with HAART following liver transplantation in an HIV-infected recipient. Liver Transpl 2004, 10:699–702. CrossRef
- Norris S, Taylor C, Muiesan P, et al.: Outcomes of liver transplantation in HIV-infected individuals: the impact of HCV and HBV infection. Liver Transpl 2004, 10:1271–1278. CrossRef
- Rafecas A, Rufi G, Figueras J, et al.: Liver transplantation without steroid induction in HIV-infected patients. Liver Transpl 2004, 10:1320–1323. CrossRef
- Honkoop P, Kazemier G, Perenboom RM, et al.: Liver transplantation in a HIV-positive patient receiving potent antiretroviral therapy; the first case in The Netherlands [in Dutch]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2004, 148:2500–2504.
- Moreno S, Fortun J, Quereda C, et al.: Liver transplantation in HIV-infected recipients. Liver Transpl 2005, 11:76–81. CrossRef
- Radecke K, Fruhauf NR, Miller M, et al.: Outcome after orthotopic liver transplantation in five HIV-infected patients with virus hepatitis-induced cirrhosis. Liver Int 2005, 25:101–108. CrossRef
- Vogel M, Voigt E, Schafer N, et al.: Orthotopic liver transplantation in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive patients: outcome of 7 patients from the Bonn cohort. Liver Transpl 2005, 11:1515–1521. CrossRef
- Fishman JA, Rubin RH: Infection in organ-transplant recipients. N Engl J Med 1998, 338:1741–1751. CrossRef
- Mellors JW, Rinaldo CR Jr, Gupta P, et al.: Prognosis in HIV-1 infection predicted by the quantity of virus in plasma. Science 1996, 272:1167–1170. CrossRef
- de Vera ME, Dvorchik I, Tom K, et al.: Survival of liver transplant patients coinfected with HIV and HCV is adversely impacted by recurrent hepatitis C. Am J Transplant 2006, 6:2983–2993. CrossRef
- Rubin RH: The direct and indirect effects of infection in liver transplantation: pathogenesis, impact, and clinical management. Curr Clin Top Infect Dis 2002, 22:125–154.
- Palella FJ, Baker RK, Moorman AC, et al.: Mortality in the highly active antiretroviral therapy era: changing causes of death and disease in the HIV outpatient study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2006, 43:27–34. CrossRef
- Liver transplant in patients with HIV: Infection risk associated with HIV and post-transplant immunosuppression
Current Infectious Disease Reports
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 74-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links