Relationship of penicillin resistance to mortality in pneumococcal pneumonia
- Lionel A. Mandell MD, FRCPC
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Clinical management of community-acquired pneumonia (CAP)—and Streptococcus pneumoniae infection in general—are controversial. Multiple sets of guidlines exist. This article reviews CAP, S. pneumoniae infection and drug resistance, the four sets of guidlines currently in use in North America, and the data upon which the agencies establishing those guidlines have based their consclusions, particularly about drug resistance and treatment failures. The article also considers the role of penicillin in the treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia.
- Dixon RE: Economic costs of respiratory tract infections in the United States. Am J Med 1985, 78:45. CrossRef
- National Center for Health Statistics: National hospital discharge survey: Annual summary 1990. Vital Health Stat 1992, 13:1–225.
- Marston BJ, Plouffe JF, File TM Jr, et al.: Incidence of community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization: results of a population-based active surveillance study in Ohio. The Community-Based Pneumonia Incidence Study Group. Arch Intern Med 1997, 157:1709–18. CrossRef
- Fine MJ, Smith MA, Carsen CA, et al.: Prognosis and outcomes of patients with community-acquired pneumonia. JAMA 1996, 275:134–141. CrossRef
- Lipsky B, Boyko EJ, Inui TS, et al.: Risk factors for acquiring pneumococcal infections. Arch Int Med 1986, 146:2179–2185. CrossRef
- Plouffe JF, Breiman RF, Fackman RR: Bacteremia with Streptococcus pneumoniae: implications for therapy and prevention. JAMA 1996, 275:194–198. CrossRef
- Ferrándiz MJ, Fernoll A, Liñares J, de La Campa AG: Horizontal transfer of parC and gyrA in fluoroquinolone-resistant clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2000, 44:840–847. This is a good study focusing on an important topic. CrossRef
- Bartlett JG, Dowell SF, Mandell LA, et al.: Practice guidelines for the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Inf Dis 2000, 31:347–382. CrossRef
- Mandell LA, Marrie TJ, Grossman RT, et al.: Canadian guidelines for the initial management of communityacquired pneumonia. An evidence-based update for the Canadian Infectious Disease Society. The Canadian Community-Acquired Working Group. Clin Inf Dis 2000, 31:383–421. Interesting update. CrossRef
- Heffelfinger JD, Dowell SF, Jorgensen JH, et al.: Management of community-acquired pneumonia in the era of pneumococcal resistance: a report from the Drug-Resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae Therapeutic Working Group. Arch Intern Med 2000, 150:1399–1408. CrossRef
- Feikin DR, Schuchat A, Kolczak M, et al.: Mortality from invasive pneumococcal pneumonia in the era of antibiotic resistance 1995–1997. Am J Public Health 2000, 90:223–229. CrossRef
- Turett GS, Blum S, Fazal B, et al.: Penicillin resistance and other predictors of mortality in pneumococcal bacteremia in a population with high human immunodeficiency virus seroprevalence. Clin Inf Dis 1999, 29:321–327.
- Buckingham SC, Brown SP, San Joaquin VH: Breakthrough bacteremia and meningitis during treatment with cephalosporins parenterally for pneumococcal pneumonia. J Pediatr 1998, 132:174–176. CrossRef
- Dowell SF: Failure of treatment of pneumonia associated with highly resistant pneumococci in a child. Clin Inf Dis 1999, 9:462–463. CrossRef
- Daum RS, Nachman JP, Leitch CD, Tenover FC: Nosocomial epiglottitis associated with penicillin- and cephalosporinresistant Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteremia. J Clin Microbiol 1994, 32:246–248.
- Chesney PJ, Davis Y, English BK, Wang WC: Occurrence of Streptococcus pneumoniae meningitis during vancomycin and cefotaxime therapy of septicemia in a patient with sickle cell disease. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1995, 14:1013–1014. CrossRef
- Relationship of penicillin resistance to mortality in pneumococcal pneumonia
Current Infectious Disease Reports
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 9-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Infectious Disease, Henderson General Hospital, 711 Concession Street, L8V IC3, Hamilton, ON, Canada