HIV: So Near and Yet So Far
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Advances in HIV medicine in the past decade have transformed a once deadly infection into a chronic disease. HIV-infected individuals on potent antiretroviral treatment (ART) in both developed  and developing settings  can expect to live a near-normal lifespan. Both the incidence and deaths attributed to HIV infection have declined over the past 10 years. However, despite these amazing developments, enormous challenges remain. Access to care is far from ideal in many settings. HIV-positive persons on virally suppressive ART are at higher risk of non-AIDS-related morbidities such as myocardial infarctions, strokes, osteopenia, liver disease and non-AIDS malignancies [3, 4]. Two and a half million people continue to get infected every year . The holy grails of HIV research – a cure and a vaccine – remain elusive but not impossible goals. For the first time, the idea of ending the AIDS epidemic has entered the realm of the possible.
HIV-infected individuals on ART are at a higher
- May M, Gompels M, Delpech V, et al. Impact of late diagnosis and treatment on life expectancy in people with HIV-1: UK Collaborative HIV Cohort (UK CHIC) study. BMJ. 2011;343:d6016. doi:10.1136/bmj.d6016. CrossRef
- Mills EJ, Bakanda C, Birungi J, et al. Life expectancy of persons receiving cART in low-income countries: a cohort analysis from Uganda. Ann Intern Med. 2011;155(4):209–16.
- Sackoff JE, Hanna DB, Pfeiffer MR, Torian LV. Causes of death among persons with AIDS in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: New York City. Ann Intern Med. 2006;145(6):397–406.
- Bedimo RJ, McGinnis KA, Dunlap M, et al. Incidence of non-AIDS-defining malignancies in HIV-infected versus noninfected patients in the HAART era: impact of immunosuppression. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009;52(2):203–8. CrossRef
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), Global report: UNAIDS report on the global AIDS epidemic 2012
- Duprez DA, Neuhaus J, Kuller LH, Tracy R, Belloso W, et al. Inflammation, coagulation and cardiovascular disease in HIV-infected individuals. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e44454. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0044454. CrossRef
- The Centers for Disease Control: HIV and Viral Hepatitis. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/hepatitis.htm. Accessed October 2012.
- Bica I, McGovern B, Dhar R, et al. Increasing mortality due to end-stage liver disease in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32(3):492–7. CrossRef
- Welsch C, Jesudian A, Zeuzem S, Jacobson I. New direct-acting antiviral agents for the treatment of hepatitis C virus infection and perspectives. Gut. 2012;61 Suppl 1:i36ei46. doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2012-302144. CrossRef
- Crothers K, Huang L, Goulet JL, et al. HIV infection and risk for incident pulmonary diseases in the combination antiretroviral therapy era. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;183(3):388–95. CrossRef
- Cohen M, Chen Y, McCauley M, et al. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. New Engl J Med. 2011;365(6):493–505. CrossRef
- Grant RM, Lama JR, Anderson PL, et al. Preexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV prevention in men who have sex with men. New Engl J Med. 2010;363(27):2587–99. CrossRef
- Auvert B, Taljaard D, Lagarde E, et al. Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 trial. PLoS Med. 2005;2(11):e298. CrossRef
- Rerks-Ngarm S, Pitisuttithum P, Nitayaphan S, et al. Vaccination with ALVAC+AIDSVAX to prevent HIV infection in Thailand. New Engl J Med. 2009;361(23):2209–20. CrossRef
- Obiero J, Mwethera PG, Hussey GD, Wiysonge CS. Vaginal microbicides for reducing the risk of sexual acquisition of HIV infection in women: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12(1):289. CrossRef
- Hütter G, Nowak D, Mossner M, et al. Long-term control of HIV by CCR5 Delta32/Delta32 stem-cell transplantation. N Engl J Med. 2009;360(7):692–8. CrossRef
- HIV: So Near and Yet So Far
Current HIV/AIDS Reports
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 1-2
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Antiretroviral treatment (ART)
- HIV-infected individuals
- AIDS epidemic
- HIV pathogenesis
- Non-AIDS-related morbidities
- HCV-infected individuals
- Industry Sectors