Atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Atrial fibrillation (AF) and congestive heart failure (CHF) are common cardiac conditions that frequently coexist. There is a complex interplay between the two conditions, with each increasing the morbidity and mortality associated with the other. The management of AF in patients with CHF requires special care because of the increased risk of antiarrhythmic drug therapy in the group. This report reviews current treatment options and assesses the role of the newer therapies of biventricular pacing for CHF and radiofrequency ablation for AF. It also discusses results of the AF-CHF study, which were reported in November 2007.
- Braunwald E: Shattuck lecture—cardiovascular medicine at the turn of the millennium: triumphs, concerns, and opportunities. N Engl J Med 1997, 337:1360–1369. CrossRef
- Cha YM, Redfield MM, Shen WK, Gersh BJ: Atrial fibrillation and ventricular dysfunction: a vicious electromechanical cycle. Circulation 2004, 109:2839–2843. CrossRef
- Wyse DG, Waldo AL, DiMarco JP, et al.: A comparison of rate control and rhythm control in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2002, 347:1825–1833.
- Ehrlich JR, Nattel S, Hohnloser SH: Atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure: specific considerations at the intersection of two common and important cardiac disease sets. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2002, 13:399–405. CrossRef
- Khand AU, Rankin AC, Kaye GC, Cleland JG: Systematic review of the management of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure. Eur Heart J 2000, 21:614–632. CrossRef
- Li D, Shinagawa K, Pang L, et al.: Effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition on the development of the atrial fibrillation substrate in dogs with ventricular tachypacing-induced congestive heart failure. Circulation 2001, 104:2608–2614. CrossRef
- Cha TJ, Ehrlich JR, Zhang L, et al.: Dissociation between ionic remodeling and ability to sustain atrial fibrillation during recovery from experimental congestive heart failure. Circulation 2004, 109:412–418. CrossRef
- Dries DL, Exner DV, Gersh BJ, et al.: Atrial fibrillation is associated with an increased risk for mortality and heart failure progression in patients with asymptomatic and symptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction: a retrospective analysis of the SOLVD trials. Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998, 32:695–703. CrossRef
- Boyle NG, Wang X, Hepner A, et al.: Survival in patients with atrial fibrillation and advanced heart failure [abstract]. Circulation 2002, 106:II–681.
- Chaudhry GM, Haffajee CI: Algorithms useful in the treatment of atrial fibrillation. Curr Opin Cardiol 2002, 17:52–57. CrossRef
- Fuster V, Ryden LE, Cannom DS, et al.: ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2001 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation): developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 2006, 114:e257–e354. [Published erratum appears in Circulation 2007, 116:e138.] CrossRef
- Hart RG, Halperin JL: Atrial fibrillation and thromboembolism: a decade of progress in stroke prevention. Ann Intern Med 1999, 131:688–695.
- Singer DE, Albers GW, Dalen JE, et al.: Antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest 2004, 126:429S–456S. CrossRef
- Farshi R, Kistner D, Sarma JS, et al.: Ventricular rate control in chronic atrial fibrillation during daily activity and programmed exercise: a crossover open-label study of five drug regimens. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999, 33:304–310. CrossRef
- Wood MA, Brown-Mahoney C, Kay GN, Ellenbogen KA: Clinical outcomes after ablation and pacing therapy for atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis. Circulation 2000, 101:1138–1144.
- Khand AU, Rankin AC, Martin W, et al.: Carvedilol alone or in combination with digoxin for the management of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure? J Am Coll Cardiol 2003, 42:1944–1951. CrossRef
- Brignole M, Menozzi C, Gianfranchi L, et al.: Assessment of atrioventricular junction ablation and VVIR pacemaker versus pharmacological treatment in patients with heart failure and chronic atrial fibrillation: a randomized, controlled study. Circulation 1998, 98:953–960.
- Doval HC, Nul DR, Grancelli HO, et al.: Randomised trial of low-dose amiodarone in severe congestive heart failure. Grupo de Estudio de la Sobrevida en la Insuficiencia Cardiaca en Argentina (GESICA). Lancet 1994, 344:493–498. CrossRef
- Torp-Pedersen C, Moller M, Bloch-Thomsen PE, et al.: Dofetilide in patients with congestive heart failure and left ventricular dysfunction. Danish Investigations of Arrhythmia and Mortality on Dofetilide Study Group. N Engl J Med 1999, 341:857–865. CrossRef
- Van Gelder IC, Hagens VE, Bosker HA, et al.: A comparison of rate control and rhythm control in patients with recurrent persistent atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2002, 347:1834–1840. CrossRef
- Hohnloser SH, Kuck KH, Lilienthal J: Rhythm or rate control in atrial fibrillation-Pharmacological Intervention in Atrial Fibrillation (PIAF): a randomised trial. Lancet 2000, 356:1789–1794. CrossRef
- Pedersen OD, Brendorp B, Elming H, et al.: Does conversion and prevention of atrial fibrillation enhance survival in patients with left ventricular dysfunction? Evidence from the Danish Investigations of Arrhythmia and Mortality ON Dofetilide/(DIAMOND) study. Card Electrophysiol Rev 2003, 7:220–224. CrossRef
- Corley SD, Epstein AE, DiMarco JP, et al.: Relationships between sinus rhythm, treatment, and survival in the Atrial Fibrillation Follow-Up Investigation of Rhythm Management (AFFIRM) Study. Circulation 2004, 109:1509–1513. CrossRef
- Rationale and design of a study assessing treatment strategies of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure: the Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure (AF-CHF) trial. Am Heart J 2002, 144:597–607.
- Roy D: The Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure (AF-CHF) Trial. Presented at American Heart Association 2007 Scientific Sessions. Orlando; November 4–7, 2007. Available at http://scientificsessions.americanheart.org/portal/scientificsessions/ss/lbctnr9a.2007. Accessed January 25, 2007.
- Singh BN, Connolly SJ, Crijns HJ, et al.: Dronedarone for maintenance of sinus rhythm in atrial fibrillation or flutter. N Engl J Med 2007, 357:987–999. CrossRef
- Kathofer S, Thomas D, Karle CA: The novel antiarrhythmic drug dronedarone: comparison with amiodarone. Cardiovasc Drug Rev 2005, 23:217–230.
- Pedersen OD, Bagger H, Kober L, Torp-Pedersen C: Trandolapril reduces the incidence of atrial fibrillation after acute myocardial infarction in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. Circulation 1999, 100:376–380.
- Vermes E, Tardif JC, Bourassa MG, et al.: Enalapril decreases the incidence of atrial fibrillation in patients with left ventricular dysfunction: insight from the Studies Of Left Ventricular Dysfunction (SOLVD) trials. Circulation 2003, 107:2926–2931. CrossRef
- Ueng KC, Tsai TP, Yu WC, et al.: Use of enalapril to facilitate sinus rhythm maintenance after external cardioversion of long-standing persistent atrial fibrillation. Results of a prospective and controlled study. Eur Heart J 2003, 24:2090–2098. CrossRef
- Madrid AH, Bueno MG, Rebollo JM, et al.: Use of irbesartan to maintain sinus rhythm in patients with long-lasting persistent atrial fibrillation: a prospective and randomized study. Circulation 2002, 106:331–336. CrossRef
- Heidbuchel H: A paradigm shift in treatment for atrial fibrillation: from electrical to structural therapy? Eur Heart J 2003, 24:2077–2078. CrossRef
- Leon AR, Greenberg JM, Kanuru N, et al.: Cardiac resynchronization in patients with congestive heart failure and chronic atrial fibrillation: effect of upgrading to biventricular pacing after chronic right ventricular pacing. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002, 39:1258–1263. CrossRef
- Leclercq C, Walker S, Linde C, et al.: Comparative effects of permanent biventricular and right-univentricular pacing in heart failure patients with chronic atrial fibrillation. Eur Heart J 2002, 23:1780–1787. CrossRef
- Lellouche N, De Diego C, Vaseghi M, et al.: Cardiac resynchronization therapy response is associated with shorter duration of atrial fibrillation. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2007, 30:1363–1368. CrossRef
- Yannopoulos D, Lurie KG, Sakaguchi S, et al.: Reduced atrial tachyarrhythmia susceptibility after upgrade of conventional implanted pulse generator to cardiac resynchronization therapy in patients with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007, 50:1246–1251. CrossRef
- Padeletti L: Atrial fibrillation in heart failure patients implanted with a cardiac resynchronization therapy device: 1-year results of the randomized MASCOT study. Presented at American Heart Association 2007 Scientific Sessions. Orlando; November 4–7, 2007. Available at http://scientificsessions.americanheart.org/portal/secintificsessions/ss/lbctnr10.2007. Accessed November 6, 2007.
- Hsu LF, Jais P, Sanders P, et al.: Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation in congestive heart failure. N Engl J Med 2004, 351:2373–2383. CrossRef
- Atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure
Current Heart Failure Reports
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 11-15
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors