Beta-blockers in heart failure: Is more better?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Therapies that modulate the sympathetic nervous system and renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system reduce morbidity and mortality in patients with heart failure. However, they are grossly underused in clinical practice; when used, the doses prescribed are substantially smaller than the target doses used in the large-scale studies that established their utility. Whether these suboptimal doses are as effective in reducing morbidity and mortality is largely unknown. This review focuses on the relationship between the dose of β-blockers and their effect on clinical outcomes. Because direct dose comparisons of β-blockers are limited, we draw upon a broader spectrum of clinical trials across the cardiovascular continuum that involved neurohormonal modulators to address the question, ‘Is more better?’
- Effects of enalapril on mortality in severe congestive heart failure. Results of the Cooperative North Scandinavian Enalapril Survival Study (CONSENSUS). The CONSENSUS Trial Study Group. N Engl J Med 1987, 316:1429–1435.
- Effect of enalapril on survival in patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fractions and congestive heart failure. The SOLVD Investigators. N Engl J Med 1991, 325:293–302.
- Effect of enalapril on mortality and the development of heart failure in asymptomatic patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fractions. The SOLVD Investigators. N Engl J Med 1992, 327:685-691. [Published erratum appears in N Engl J Med 1992, 327:1768.]
- Kober, L, Torp-Pedersen, C, Carlsen, JE (1995) A clinical trial of the angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor trandolapril in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction. Trandolapril Cardiac Evaluation (TRACE) Study Group. N Engl J Med 333: pp. 1670-1676 CrossRef
- Pitt, B, Zannad, F, Remme, WJ (1999) The effect of spironolactone on morbidity and mortality in patients with severe heart failure. Randomized Aldactone Evaluation Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 341: pp. 709-717 CrossRef
- Torp-Pedersen, C, Kober, L (1999) Effect of ACE inhibitor trandolapril on life expectancy of patients with reduced left-ventricular function after acute myocardial infarction. TRACE Study Group. Trandolapril Cardiac Evaluation. Lancet 354: pp. 9-12 CrossRef
- Packer, M, Fowler, MB, Roecker, EB (2002) Effect of carvedilol on the morbidity of patients with severe chronic heart failure: results of the carvedilol prospective randomized cumulative survival (COPERNICUS) study. Circulation 106: pp. 2194-2199 CrossRef
- The Cardiac Insufficiency Bisoprolol Study II (CIBIS-II): a randomised trial. Lancet 1999, 353:9–13.
- Effect of metoprolol CR/XL in chronic heart failure: Metoprolol CR/XL Randomised Intervention Trial in Congestive Heart Failure (MERIT-HF). Lancet 1999, 353:2001–2007.
- Buhler, FR, Laragh, JH, Baer, L (1972) Propranolol inhibition of renin secretion. A specific approach to diagnosis and treatment of renin-dependent hypertensive diseases. N Engl J Med 287: pp. 1209-1214 CrossRef
- Roe, CM, Motheral, BR, Teitelbaum, F, Rich, MW (1999) Angiotensinconverting enzyme inhibitor compliance and dosing among patients with heart failure. Am Heart J 138: pp. 818-825 CrossRef
- dep, ME, Shah, NB, Tateo, IM, Massie, BM (1997) Differences between primary care physicians and cardiologists in management of congestive heart failure: relation to practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 30: pp. 518-526 CrossRef
- Philbin, EF, Andreaou, C, Rocco, TA (1996) Patterns of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor use in congestive heart failure in two community hospitals. Am J Cardiol 77: pp. 832-838 CrossRef
- Mendelson, G, Aronow, WS (1998) Underutilization of angiotensinconverting enzyme inhibitors in older patients with Q-wave anterior myocardial infarction in an academic hospital-based geriatrics practice. J Am Geriatr Soc 46: pp. 751-752
- Bristow, MR, Gilbert, EM, Abraham, WT (1996) Carvedilol produces dose-related improvements in left ventricular function and survival in subjects with chronic heart failure. MOCHA Investigators. Circulation 94: pp. 2807-2816
- Bristow, MR, O’Connell, JB, Gilbert, EM (1994) Dose-response of chronic beta-blocker treatment in heart failure from either idiopathic or dilated or ischemic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 89: pp. 1632-1642
- Simon, T, Mary-Krause, M, Funck-Brentano, C (2003) Bisoprolol dose-response relationship in patients with congestive heart failure: a subgroup analysis in the cardiac insufficiency bisoprolol study (CIBIS II). Eur Heart J 24: pp. 552-559 CrossRef
- Packer, M, Poole-Wilson, PA, Armstrong, PW (1999) Comparative effects of low and high doses of the angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor, lisinopril, on morbidity and mortality in chronic heart failure. ATLAS Study Group. Circulation 100: pp. 2312-2318
- Baruch, L, Anand, I, Cohen, IS (1999) Augmented short- and long-term hemodynamic and hormonal effects of an angiotensin receptor blocker added to angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor therapy in patients with heart failure. Vasodilator Heart Failure Trial (V-HeFT) Study Group. Circulation 99: pp. 2658-2664
- Parving, HH, Lehnert, H, Brochner-Mortensen, J (2001) The effect of irbesartan on the development of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 345: pp. 870-878 CrossRef
- Lonn, E, Yusuf, S, Dzavik, V (2001) Effects of ramipril and vitamin E on atherosclerosis: the study to evaluate carotid ultrasound changes in patients treated with ramipril and vitamin E (SECURE). Circulation 103: pp. 919-925
- Lindholm, LH, Ibsen, H, Dahlof, B (2002) Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in patients with diabetes in the Losartan Intervention For Endpoint reduction in hypertension study (LIFE): a randomised trial against atenolol. Lancet 359: pp. 1004-1010 CrossRef
- Dickstein, K, Kjekshus, J (2002) Effects of losartan and captopril on mortality and morbidity in high-risk patients after acute myocardial infarction: the OPTIMAAL randomised trial. Optimal Trial in Myocardial Infarction with Angiotensin II Antagonist Losartan. Lancet 360: pp. 752-760 CrossRef
- Pitt, B, Poole-Wilson, PA, Segal, R (2000) Effect of losartan compared with captopril on mortality in patients with symptomatic heart failure: randomised trial--the Losartan Heart Failure Survival Study ELITE II. Lancet 355: pp. 1582-1587 CrossRef
- Brenner, BM, Cooper, ME, Zeeuw, D (2001) Effects of losartan on renal and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy. N Engl J Med 345: pp. 861-869 CrossRef
- Pfeffer, MA, McMurray, JJ, Velazquez, EJ (2003) Valsartan, captopril, or both in myocardial infarction complicated by heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, or both. N Engl J Med 349: pp. 1893-1906 CrossRef
- Dickstein, K (2003) What did we learn from the OPTIMAAL trial? What can we expect from VALIANT. Am Heart J 145: pp. 754-757 CrossRef
- Poole-Wilson, PA, Swedberg, K, Cleland, JG (2003) Comparison of carvedilol and metoprolol on clinical outcomes in patients with chronic heart failure in the Carvedilol Or Metoprolol European Trial (COMET): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 362: pp. 7-13 CrossRef
- Kukin, ML, Kalman, J, Charney, RH (1999) Prospective, randomized comparison of effect of long-term treatment with metoprolol or carvedilol on symptoms, exercise, ejection fraction, and oxidative stress in heart failure. Circulation 99: pp. 2645-2651
- Kukin, ML, Mannino, MM, Freudenberger, RS (2000) Hemodynamic comparison of twice daily metoprolol tartrate with once daily metoprolol succinate in congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 35: pp. 45-50 CrossRef
- Metra, M, Giubbini, R, Nodari, S (2000) Differential effects of beta-blockers in patients with heart failure: a prospective, randomized, double-blind comparison of the long-term effects of metoprolol versus carvedilol. Circulation 102: pp. 546-551
- Beta-blockers in heart failure: Is more better?
Current Heart Failure Reports
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 77-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors