- Lawrence R. Schiller MD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Diarrhea, defined as loose stools, occurs when the intestine does not complete absorption of electrolytes and water from luminal contents. This can happen when a nonabsorbable, osmotically active substance is ingested ("osmotic diarrhea") or when electrolyte absorption is impaired ("secretory diarrhea"). Most cases of acute and chronic diarrhea are due to the latter mechanism. Secretory diarrhea can result from bacterial toxins, reduced absorptive surface area caused by disease or resection, luminal secretagogues (such as bile acids or laxatives), circulating secretagogues (such as various hormones, drugs, and poisons), and medical problems that compromise regulation of intestinal function. Evaluation of patients with secretory diarrhea must be tailored to find the likely causes of this problem. Specific and nonspecific treatment can be valuable.
- Schiller LR: Secretory diarrhea. In Gastroenterology and Hepatology: The Comprehensive Visual Reference, vol 7, Small Intestine. Edited by Feldman M, Schiller LR. Philadelphia: Current Medicine; 1997:4.1–4.24.
- Wenzl HH, Fine KD, Schiller LR, Fordtran JS: Determinants of decreased fecal consistency in patients with diarrhea. Gastroenterology 1995, 108:1729–1738. CrossRef
- Eherer AJ, Fordtran JS: Fecal osmotic gap and pH in experimental diarrhea of various causes. Gastroenterology 1992, 103:545–551.
- Fordtran JS, Santa Ana CA, Morawski SG, et al.: Pathophysiology of chronic diarrhea: insights derived from intestinal perfusion studies in 31 patients. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 1986, 15:477–490.
- Guerrant RL: Lessons from diarrheal diseases: demography to molecular pharmacology. J Infect Dis 1994, 169:1206–1218.
- DuPont HL: Review article: infectious diarrhea. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1994, 8:3–13. CrossRef
- Giannella RA: Infections of the intestine. In Gastroenterology and Hepatology: The Comprehensive Visual Reference, vol 7, Small Intestine. Edited by Feldman M, Schiller LR. Philadelphia: Current Medicine; 1997:12.1–12.19.
- Popoff MR: Interactions between bacterial toxins and intestinal cells. Toxicon 1998, 36:665–685. CrossRef
- Phalipon A, Sansonetti PJ: Microbial-host interactions at mucosal sites. Host response to pathogenic bacteria at mucosal sites. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 1999, 236:163–189.
- Lundgren O: 5-hydroxytryptamine, enterotoxins, and intestinal fluid secretion [editorial]. Gastroenterology 1998, 115:883–890. CrossRef
- Forte LR, Currie MG: Guanylin: a peptide regulator of epithelial transport. FASEB J 1995, 9:643–650.
- Blaser MJ: Epidemiologic and clinical features of Campylobacter jejuni infections. J Infect Dis 1997, 176 (suppl 2):S103-S105.
- Slutsker L, Ries AA, Maloney K, et al.: A nationwide casecontrol study of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection in the United States. J Infect Dis 1998, 177:962–966.
- Slutsker L, Ries AA, Greene KD, et al.: Escherichia coli O157:H7 diarrhea in the United States: clinical and epidemiologic features. Ann Intern Med 1997, 126:505–513.
- Kelly CP, LaMont JT: Clostridium difficile infection. Ann Rev Med 1998, 49:375–390. CrossRef
- Fekety R: Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 1997, 92:739–750.
- Arrambide KA, Santa Ana CA, Schiller LR, et al.: Loss of absorptive capacity for sodium chloride as a cause of diarrhea following partial ileal and right colon resection. Dig Dis Sci 1989, 34:193–201. CrossRef
- Aichbichler BW, Zerr CH, Santa Ana CA, et al.: Brief report: proton-pump inhibition of gastric chloride secretion in congenital chloridorrhea. N Engl J Med 1997, 336:106–109. CrossRef
- Perdue MH, McKay DM: Integrative immunophysiology in the intestinal mucosa. Am J Physiol 1994, 267:G151-G165.
- Sellin JH: Functional anatomy, fluid and electrolyte absorption. In Gastroenterology and Hepatology: The Comprehensive Visual Reference, vol 7, Small Intestine. Edited by Feldman M, Schiller LR. Philadelphia: Current Medicine; 1997:1.1–1.14.
- Lee E, Schiller LR, Fordtran JS: Quantification of colonic lamina propria cells by means of a morphometric pointcounting method. Gastroenterology 1988, 94:409–418.
- Karras PJ, Pfeifer MA: Diabetic gastrointestinal autonomic neuropathy. Curr Ther Endocrinol Metab 1997, 6:462–465.
- Saslow SB, Camilleri M: Diabetic diarrhea. Semin Gastrointest Dis 1995, 6:187–193.
- Rosa-e-Silva L, Troncon LE, Oliveira RB, et al.: Rapid distal small bowel transit associated with sympathetic denervation in type I diabetes mellitus. Gut 1996, 39:748–756.
- Schiller LR, Rivera LM, Santangelo WC, et al.: Diagnostic value of fasting plasma peptide concentrations in patients with chronic diarrhea. Dig Dis Sci 1994, 39:2216–2222. CrossRef
- Fine KD, Schiller LR: American Gastroenterological Association technical review on the evaluation and management of chronic diarrhea. Gastroenterology 1999, 116:1464–1486. Detailed review of diagnostic tests used in the evaluation of chronic diarrhea, which also offers suggested approach. CrossRef
- Brandt LJ, Greenwald D: Acute and Chronic Diarrhea: A Primer on Diagnosis and Treatment. Arlington, VA: American College of Gastroenterology; 1997.
- Clinical Practice and Practice Economics Committee: American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement: Guidelines for the evaluation and management of chronic diarrhea. Gastroenterology 1999, 116:1461–1464. CrossRef
- Donowitz M, Kokke FT, Saidi R: Evaluation of patients with chronic diarrhea. N Engl J Med 1995, 332:725–729. Expert review of practical approaches to this patient population. CrossRef
- Powell DW: Approach to the patient with diarrhea. In Textbook of Gastroenterology, edn 2. Edited by Yamada T. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1995:813–863. Scientifically based review of the evaluation of patients with acute and chronic diarrhea.
- Fine KD: Diarrhea. In Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management, edn 6. Edited by Feldman M, Scharschmidt BF, Sleisenger MH. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1998:128–152. Clinically oriented approach to this complex symptom.
- DuPont HL: Guidelines on acute infectious diarrhea in adults. Am J Gastroenterol 1997, 92:1962–1975.
- Jenkins D, Goodall A, Scott BB: Simple objective criteria for diagnosis of causes of acute diarrhoea on rectal biopsy. J Clin Pathol 1997, 50:580–585.
- Marshall JB, Singh R, Diaz-Arias AA: Chronic, unexplained diarrhea: are biopsies necessary if colonoscopy is normal? Am J Gastroenterol 1995, 90:372–376.
- Robinson RJ, Stone M, Mayberry JF: Normal rectal mucosa. Should we biopsy? Hepatogastroenterology 1997, 44:703–705.
- Patel Y, Pettigrew NM, Grahame GR, Bernstein CN: The diagnostic yield of lower endoscopy plus biopsy in nonbloody diarrhea. Gastrointest Endosc 1997, 46:338–343. CrossRef
- Bini EJ, Weinshel EH: Endoscopic evaluation of chronic human immunodeficiency virus-related diarrhea: is colonoscopy superior to flexible sigmoidoscopy? Am J Gastroenterol 1998, 93:56–60. CrossRef
- Schiller LR, Hogan RB, Morawski SG, et al.: Studies of the prevalence and significance of radiolabeled bile acid malabsorption in a group of patients with idiopathic chronic diarrhea. Gastroenterology 1997, 92:151–160.
- Potter GD: Bile acid diarrhea. Dig Dis 1998, 16:118–124. CrossRef
- Farthing MJ: Oral rehydration therapy. Pharmacol Ther 1994, 64:477–492. CrossRef
- Schiller LR, Santa Ana CA, Porter JA, et al.: Glucosestimulated sodium transport by the human intestine during experimental cholera. Gastroenterology 1997, 112:1529–1535. CrossRef
- Thillainayagam AV, Hunt JB, Farthing MJ: Enhancing clinical efficacy of oral rehydration therapy: is low osmolality the key? Gastroenterology 1998, 114:197–210. CrossRef
- Schiller LR: Review article: anti-diarrhoeal pharmacology and therapeutics. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1995, 9:87–106.Review of currently available and investigational antidiarrheal agents.
- Roge J, Baumer P, Berard H, et al.: The enkephalinase inhibitor, acetorphan, in acute diarrhea: a double-blind, controlled clinical trial versus loperamide. Scand J Gastroenterol 1993, 28:352–354.
- Schiller LR, Santa Ana CA, Morawski SG, et al.: Studies of the antidiarrheal action of clonidine: effects on motility and intestinal absorption. Gastroenterology 1985, 89:982–988.
- Farthing MJ: The role of somatostatin analogues in the treatment of refractory diarrhoea. Digestion 1996, 57 (suppl 1):107–113. CrossRef
- Simon DM, Cello JP, Valenzuela J, et al.: Multicenter trial of octreotide in patients with refractory acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-associated diarrhea. Gastroenterology 1995, 108:1753–1760. CrossRef
- Secretory diarrhea
Current Gastroenterology Reports
Volume 1, Issue 5 , pp 389-397
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Baylor University Medical Center, 3500 Gaston Avenue, 75246, Dallas, TX, USA