The obesity epidemic and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Childhood obesity is a worldwide health problem associated with an increase in the prevalence and severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). This review covers the progress made between 2005 and 2007 in understanding the epidemiology, histology, and treatment of pediatric NAFLD. The number of children with NAFLD presents a major public health crisis. Noninvasive diagnostic tools offer future promise, but currently are unable to grade and stage disease. Therefore, pediatric NAFLD remains a clinico-pathological diagnosis requiring direct demonstration of liver steatosis and the exclusion of other causes of fatty liver and/or hepatitis. There are currently no proven therapies for NAFLD in children; however, TONIC (Treatment of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Children), the first multicenter clinical trial of pediatric NAFLD, is currently in progress. Such studies are imperative to address fundamental questions regarding cause and cure.
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, et al.: Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. JAMA 2006, 295:1549–1555. CrossRef
- Janssen I, Katzmarzyk PT, Boyce WF, et al.: Comparison of overweight and obesity prevalence in school-aged youth from 34 countries and their relationships with physical activity and dietary patterns. Obes Rev 2005, 6:123–132. CrossRef
- Park HS, Han JH, Choi KM, Kim SM: Relation between elevated serum alanine aminotransferase and metabolic syndrome in Korean adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 2005, 82:1046–1051.
- Muntner P, He J, Cutler JA, et al.: Trends in blood pressure among children and adolescents. JAMA 2004, 291:2107–2113. CrossRef
- Williams DE, Cadwell BL, Cheng YJ, et al.: Prevalence of impaired fasting glucose and its relationship with cardiovascular disease risk factors in US adolescents, 1999–2000. Pediatrics 2005, 116:1122–1126. CrossRef
- Burgert TS, Taksali SE, Dziura J, et al.: Alanine aminotransferase levels and fatty liver in childhood obesity: associations with insulin resistance, adiponectin, and visceral fat. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006, 91:4287–4294. CrossRef
- Pacifico L, Celestre M, Anania C, et al.: MRI and ultrasound for hepatic fat quantification: relationships to clinical and metabolic characteristics of pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Acta Paediatr 2007, 96:542–547. CrossRef
- Schwimmer JB, Behling C, Newbury R, et al.: Histopathology of pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 2005, 42:641–649. CrossRef
- Nobili V, Marcellini M, Devito R, et al.: NAFLD in children: a prospective clinical-pathological study and effect of lifestyle advice. Hepatology 2006, 44:458–465. CrossRef
- Xanthakos S, Miles L, Bucuvalas J, et al.: Histologic spectrum of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in morbidly obese adolescents. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006, 4:226–232. CrossRef
- Kleiner DE, Brunt EM, Van Natta M, et al.: Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 2005, 41:1313–1321. CrossRef
- Riley MR, Bass NM, Rosenthal P, Merriman RB: Underdiagnosis of pediatric obesity and underscreening for fatty liver disease and metabolic syndrome by pediatricians and pediatric subspecialists. J Pediatr 2005, 147:839–842. CrossRef
- Fishbein M, Mogren J, Mogren C, et al.: Undetected hepatomegaly in obese children by primary care physicians: a pitfall in the diagnosis of pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2005, 44:135–141. CrossRef
- Schwimmer JB, Deutsch R, Kahen T, et al.: Prevalence of fatty liver in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2006, 118:1388–1393. CrossRef
- Nadeau KJ, Klingensmith G, Zeitler P: Type 2 diabetes in children is frequently associated with elevated alanine aminotransferase. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2005, 41:94–98. CrossRef
- Radetti G, Kleon W, Stuefer J, Pittschieler K: Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in obese children evaluated by magnetic resonance imaging. Acta Paediatr 2006, 95:833–837. CrossRef
- Quiros-Tejeira RE, Rivera CA, Ziba TT, et al.: Risk for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in Hispanic youth with BMI > or =95th percentile. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2007, 44:228–236.
- Schwimmer JB, McGreal N, Deutsch R, et al.: Influence of gender, race, and ethnicity on suspected fatty liver in obese adolescents. Pediatrics 2005, 115:e561–e565. CrossRef
- Louthan MV, Theriot JA, Zimmerman E, et al.: Decreased prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in black obese children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2005, 41:426–429. CrossRef
- Mandato C, Lucariello S, Licenziati MR, et al.: Metabolic, hormonal, oxidative, and inflammatory factors in pediatric obesity-related liver disease. J Pediatr 2005, 147:62–66. CrossRef
- Sartorio A, Del Col A, Agosti F, et al.: Predictors of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in obese children. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007, 61:877–883. CrossRef
- Fishbein MH, Mogren C, Gleason T, Stevens WR: Relationship of hepatic steatosis to adipose tissue distribution in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2006, 42:83–88.
- Louthan MV, Barve S, McClain CJ, Joshi-Barve S: Decreased serum adiponectin: an early event in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Pediatr 2005, 147:835–838. CrossRef
- Nobili V, Manco M, Ciampalini P, et al.: Leptin, free leptin index, insulin resistance and liver fibrosis in children with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Eur J Endocrinol 2006, 155:735–743. CrossRef
- Iacobellis A, Marcellini M, Andriulli A, et al.: Noninvasive evaluation of liver fibrosis in paediatric patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. World J Gastroenterol 2006, 12:7821–7825.
- Manco M, Marcellini M, Giannone G, Nobili V: Correlation of serum TNF-alpha levels and histologic liver injury scores in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Am J Clin Pathol 2007, 127:954–960. CrossRef
- de Piano A, Prado WL, Caranti DA, et al.: Metabolic and nutritional profile of obese adolescents with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2007, 44:446–452. CrossRef
- Tock L, Prado WL, Caranti DA, et al.: Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease decrease in obese adolescents after multidisciplinary therapy. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006, 18:1241–1245. CrossRef
- Schwimmer JB, Middleton MS, Deutsch R, Lavine JE: A phase 2 clinical trial of metformin as a treatment for nondiabetic paediatric non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005, 21:871–879. CrossRef
- Lavine JE, Schwimmer JB: Clinical Research Network launches TONIC trial for treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2006, 42:129–130. CrossRef
- The obesity epidemic and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children
Current Gastroenterology Reports
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 67-72
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links