Amebic colitis: New insights into pathogenesis and treatment
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Amebiasis, caused by the protozoan parasite Entamoeba histolytica, affects more than 50 million people worldwide, with over 100,000 deaths annually. The majority of cases are asymptomatic; however, significant morbidity and mortality are associated with illness in the remaining 10% of cases. Recent advances in the understanding of the mechanism of infection by E. histolytica, the role of the innate immune system, and the role of genetic disposition to infection will allow the development of novel detection and treatment methods. The disease mechanisms, clinical findings, therapeutic strategies, and important developments regarding amebiasis are discussed here.
- Haque R, Mondal D, Duggal P, et al.: Entamoeba histolytica infection in children and protection from subsequent amebiasis. Infect Immun 2006, 74:904–909. CrossRef
- Blessmann J, Van Linh P, Nu PA, et al.: Epidemiology of amebiasis in a region of high incidence of amebic liver abscess in central Vietnam. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2002, 66:578–583.
- Tarleton, JL, Haque R, Mondal D, et al.: Cognitive effects of diarrhea, malnutrition, and Entamoeba histolytica infection on school age children in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2006, 74:475–481.
- Freedman DO, Weld LH, Kozarsky PE, et al.: Spectrum of disease and relation to pace of exposure among ill returned travelers. N Engl J Med 2006, 354:119–130. CrossRef
- Huston CD, Houpt ER, Mann BJ, et al.: Caspase 3-dependent killing of host cells by the parasite Entamoeba histolytica. Cell Microbiol 2000, 2:617–625. CrossRef
- Boettner DR, Huston, CD, Sullivan JA, et al.: Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar utilize externalized phosphatidylserine for recognition and phagocytosis of erythrocytes. Infect Immun 2005, 73:3422–3430. CrossRef
- Debnath A, Tashker JS, Sajid M, et al.: Transcriptional and secretory responses of Entamoeba histolytica to mucins, epithelial cells and bacteria. Int J Parasitol 2007, 37:897–906. CrossRef
- Padilla-Vaca F, Ankri S, Bracha R, et al.: Down regulation of Entamoeba histolytica virulence by monoxenic cultivation with Escherichia coli O55 is related to a decrease in expression of the light (35-kilodalton) subunit of the Gal/GalNAc lectin. Infect Immun 1999, 67:2096–2102.
- Lidell ME, Moncada DM, Chadee K, et al.: Entamoeba histolytica cysteine proteases cleave the MUC2 mucin in its C-terminal domain and dissolve the protective colonic mucus gel. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006, 103:9298–9303. CrossRef
- Haque R, Mondal D, Shu J, et al.: Correlation of interferon production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells with childhood malnutrition and susceptibility to amebiasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2007, 76:340–344.
- Petri WA Jr, Singh UL: Diagnosis and management of amebiasis. Clin Infect Dis 1999, 29:1117–1125. CrossRef
- Krupp IM: Antibody response in intestinal and extraintestinal amebiasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1970, 19:57–62.
- Roy S, Kabir M, Mondal D, et al.: Real-time PCR assay for the Diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica Infection. J Clin Microbiol 2005, 43:2168–2172. CrossRef
- Leo M, Haque R, Kabir M, et al.: Evaluation of Entamoeba histolytica antigen and antibody point-of-care tests for the rapid diagnosis of amebiasis. J Clin Microbiol 2006, 44:4569–4571. CrossRef
- Haque R, Mollah NU, Ali IKM, et al.: Diagnosis of amebic liver abscess and intestinal infection with the Techlab Entamoeba histolytica II antigen detection and antibody tests. J Clin Microbiol 2000, 38:3235–3239.
- Solaymani-Mohammadi S, Lam M, Zunt JR, Petri WA Jr: Entamoeba histolytica encephalitis diagnosed by polymerase chain reaction of cerebrospinal fluid. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2007, 101:311–313. CrossRef
- Lotter H, Russmann H, Heesemann J, et al.: Oral vaccination with recombinant Yersinia enterocolitica expressing hybrid type III proteins protects gerbils from amebic liver abscess. Infect Immun 2004, 72:7318–7321. CrossRef
- Houpt, E, Barroso L, Lockhart L, et al.: Prevention of intestinal amebiasis by vaccination with the Entamoeba histolytica Gal/Gal Nac lectin. Vaccine 2004 22:611–617. CrossRef
- Chebolu S, Daniell H: Stable expression of Gal/Gal NAc lectin of Entamoeba histolytica in transgenic chloroplasts and immunogenicity in mice towards vaccine development for amoebiasis. Plant Biotechnol J 2007, 5:230–239. CrossRef
- Huang DB, Zhou J: Effect of intensive handwashing in the prevention of diarrhoeal illness among patients with AIDS: a randomized controlled study. J Med Microbiol 2007, 56:659–663. CrossRef
- Haque R, Huston CD, Hughes M, et al.: Current concepts: amebiasis. N Engl J Med 2003, 348:1565–1573. CrossRef
- Amebic colitis: New insights into pathogenesis and treatment
Current Gastroenterology Reports
Volume 9, Issue 5 , pp 429-433
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links