Metabolic syndrome: Why the controversy?
- Richard E. Pratley MD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
As originally conceived, the metabolic syndrome defined a clustering of cardiovascular disease risk factors with insulin resistance as the common, underlying pathophysiologic determinant. The definition of the syndrome has evolved since then, with several groups proposing somewhat differing definitions. Partly, this has been motivated by efforts to make the syndrome a clinically useful entity. However, recent articles have called the clinical use of the metabolic syndrome into question. In this review, some of these concerns and counterarguments for the continued use of the metabolic syndrome are reviewed.
- Reaven GM: Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes 1988, 37:1595–1607. CrossRef
- Alberti KG, Zimmet PZ: Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications: Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation. Diabet Med 1998, 15:539–553. CrossRef
- Executive Summary of The Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) [no authors listed]. JAMA 2001, 285:2486–2497.
- Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Daniels SR, et al.: Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Circulation 2005, 112:2735–2752. CrossRef
- Alberti KGMM, Zimmet P, Shaw J: The metabolic syndrome—a new worldwide definition. Lancet 2005, 366:1059–1062. CrossRef
- Kahn R, Buse J, Ferrannini E, Stern M: The metabolic syndrome: time for a critical appraisal. Diabetes Care 2005, 28:2289–2304. CrossRef
- Gale E: The myth of the metabolic syndrome. Diabetologia 2005, 48:1679–1683. CrossRef
- Grundy SM: Does a diagnosis of metabolic syndrome have value in clinical practice? Am J Clin Nutr 2006, 83:1248–1251.
- Gotto AM Jr, Blackburn GL, Dailey GE 3rd, et al.: The metabolic syndrome: a call to action. Coron Artery Dis 2006, 17:77–80. CrossRef
- Kaplan NM: The deadly quartet. Upper-body obesity, glucose intolerance, hypertriglyceridemia, and hypertension. Arch Intern Med 1989, 149:1514–1520. CrossRef
- Steadman’s Medical Dictionary. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000.
- Waterson AP: Acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1983, 286:743–746. CrossRef
- Ruiz-Irastorza G, Khamashta MA, Castellino G, Hughes GR: Systemic lupus erythematosus. Lancet 2001, 357:1027–1032. CrossRef
- Dengel DR, Pratley RE, Hagberg JM, Goldberg AP: Impaired insulin sensitivity and maximal responsiveness in older hypertensive men. Hypertension 1994, 23:320–324.
- Muller DC, Elahi D, Pratley RE, et al.: An epidemiological test of the hyperinsulinemia-hypertension hypothesis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1993, 76:544–548. CrossRef
- Eschwege E: The dysmetabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and increased cardiovascular (CV) morbidity and mortality in type 2 diabetes: aetiological factors in the development of CV complications. Diabetes Metab 2003, 29(4 Pt 2):6S19–6S27. CrossRef
- Despres JP, Lamarche B, Mauriege P, et al.: Hyperinsulinemia as an independent risk factor for ischemic heart disease. N Eng J Med 1996, 334:952–957. CrossRef
- Howard G, O’Leary DH, Zaccaro D, et al.: Insulin sensitivity and atherosclerosis. The Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study Investigators. Circulation 1996, 93:1809–1817.
- Nilsson P, Nilsson JA, Hedblad B, et al.: Hyperinsulinemia as long-term predictor of death and ischaemic heart disease in non-diabetic men: the Malmo Preventive Project. J Intern Med 2003, 253:136–145. CrossRef
- Lee Y, Pratley R: The evolving role of inflammation in obesity and the metabolic syndrome. Curr Diab Rep 2005, 5:70–75.
- Kershaw EE, Flier JS: Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004, 89:2548–2556. CrossRef
- Rajala MW, Scherer PE: Minireview: The adipocyte—at the crossroads of energy homeostasis, inflammation and atherosclerosis. Endocrinology 2003, 144:3765–3773. CrossRef
- The DREAM (Diabetes REduction Approaches with ramipril and rosiglitazone Medications) Trial Investigators: Effect of rosiglitazone on the frequency of diabetes in patients with impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose: a randomized control trial. Lancet 2006, 368:1096–1105. CrossRef
- Knowler WC, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler SE, et al.: Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle or metformin. N Engl J Med 2002, 345:393–403.
- Metabolic syndrome: Why the controversy?
Current Diabetes Reports
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 56-59
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Diabetes and Metabolism Translational Medicine Unit, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Given C331, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT, 05465, USA